Shadow or Mordor To Require 6GB of VRAM @ 1080p for Ultra Textures

is it smooth to play ultra texture on a 4GB cards?

Yes, as long as your hard drive can keep up with the pagefile swapping. My pagefile is on a Corsair SSD. The only loading that happens in the game is when you move from one area to another, and that is only a momentary stutter. Basically each area is really large so this doesn't affect the game in the slightest.

do you think that it depends on the lack of RAM?
is 4GB fullfilled?

Well loading areas is typically not affected by VRAM. The game uses every ounce of the 4GB on my card and it makes my pagefile go from 3GB to 11GB+ so it can swap textures.

Hope that helps. ;)

SSD might be OK but I wonder if putting the pagefile on a ram drive would help more with some of the stuttering on 3/4Gb cards?

Do you get hitching?

None at all. Only when I go from Area A to Area B is there a momentary hitch. My OS is install on a 120GB SSD so my pagefile is there also. So even though my pagefile seems to be used to swap textures, the game runs buttery smooth.

The point is is that the game plays seamlessly with High textures. There is supposed to be no loading at all in this game except when activating missions and triggering cutscenes, and I think that is important with a game like this. I don't think that Ultra looks any better than High at 1080p or x1.78 DSR, so the choice is obvious for me.

SSD might be OK but I wonder if putting the pagefile on a ram drive would help more with some of the stuttering on 3/4Gb cards?

I only have 8GB of ram so I can't test it. Is anyone having stuttering problems in this thread?

The point is is that the game plays seamlessly with High textures. There is supposed to be no loading at all in this game except when activating missions and triggering cutscenes, and I think that is important with a game like this. I don't think that Ultra looks any better than High at 1080p or x1.78 DSR, so the choice is obvious for me.

This is [H]ardocp. We like to push things until they break, then bake them in an oven to repair them. :p :p :p

Yes, as long as your hard drive can keep up with the pagefile swapping. My pagefile is on a Corsair SSD. The only loading that happens in the game is when you move from one area to another, and that is only a momentary stutter. Basically each area is really large so this doesn't affect the game in the slightest.

really don't understand the sense of making a 6GB game now.
textures are not really better as someone of you saied, cards doesn't have 6GB... what's the point?

is this game cool in terms of graphics? do you feel the next gen a little?

textures are not really better as someone of you saied, cards doesn't have 6GB... what's the point?

is this game cool in terms of graphics? do you feel the next gen a little?

Well there are 8GB R9 290x cards, 6GB GTX 780, and 6GB Titans. So there are lots of options out there if you have the money for it. I think it's awesome that there is a mode for guys that spent more on their gaming system. :)

Well the game looks fabulous to me. And it uses all 8 cores of my AMD FX-9370. So far I have 0 complaints other than my old ass can't push the "cheat death" buttons fast enough at times.

So how do you install it then? I thought that you just "bought" the HD textures DLC, which initiated a 3.7GB download separate from the game download, and then it was installed. In my DLC properties for the game it says that I have installed and that they are enabled. What you are saying is that they are NOT installed this way. That I am doing it wrong.

So I need to do what else to get them on my PC?

We seem to have a disconnect here. Ok, one last try...

The HD textures are required for Ultra.

If you don't have the HD textures, Ultra = High.

We seem to have a disconnect here. Ok, one last try...

The HD textures are required for Ultra.

If you don't have the HD textures, Ultra = High.

Why do you keep saying that I don't have them? Where do I get them from then? I thought it was a part of the DLC. So what you're saying is that I need to go elsewhere to get them? Just give me a link to them.

Why do you keep saying that I don't have them? Where do I get them from then? I thought it was a part of the DLC.

For the love of Mike! Who said you don't have them? You downloaded and activated them, so you have them. Read my post again please. Really get in there and feel each and every word.

Well there are 8GB R9 290x cards, 6GB GTX 780, and 6GB Titans. So there are lots of options out there if you have the money for it. I think it's awesome that there is a mode for guys that spent more on their gaming system. :)

Well the game looks fabulous to me. And it uses all 8 cores of my AMD FX-9370. So far I have 0 complaints other than my old ass can't push the "cheat death" buttons fast enough at times.

I'm playing rememberME so I will wait buying this game but reviewers never saied that it has a wonderful graphics, nice to know that it is a good game and it is cool too.

So how do you install it then? I thought that you just "bought" the HD textures DLC, which initiated a 3.7GB download separate from the game download, and then it was installed. In my DLC properties for the game it says that I have installed and that they are enabled. What you are saying is that they are NOT installed this way. That I am doing it wrong.

So I need to do what else to get them on my PC?

The HD pack is almost 10 GB

For the love of Mike! Who said you don't have them? You downloaded and activated them, so you have them. Read my post again please. Really get in there and feel each and every word.

But why do you keep quoting me and saying that I need the HD pack? You have me confused. I'm sorry that we're on the wrong wavelength.

mine was 3.7 gb too and is it me or are these vram requirements bullshit?

I'm playing maxed out @ 1080p with ultra textures without issue on 780. ram usage is max but no issues.

mine was 3.7 gb too and is it me or are these vram requirements bullshit?

I'm playing maxed out @ 1080p with ultra textures without issue on 780. ram usage is max but no issues.

It uses 5.9GB on a Titan. Log your MSI Afterburner stats and watch your swap file quadruple when you fire the benchmark up.

thats fine and I will but I am not seeing any negative side effects and the game is smooth.

Running the config in sig, on everything maxed and everything is seamless (ultra HD texture pack installed). I like the graphics, and loving the gameplay. If not for Unity and Inquisition coming, that would be my GOTY.

Though, the 290X XFX is really pushed hard, I hear them fans whining even through headphones. Time to get something more power efficient and less noisy.

It uses 5.9GB on a Titan. Log your MSI Afterburner stats and watch your swap file quadruple when you fire the benchmark up.

The game seems to just use as much VRAM as it can. Running at 3440x1440 and I have no stuttering with Ultra textures coupled with a 980. 4K gives me trouble, however.

Shadow of Mordor- PS4 vs Xbox One vs PC graphics comparison

With or without ultra textures, it's a close tussle between PS4, Xbox One and PC

the 780 Ti runs with all settings at max without issue, but caching these ultra textures between the mainboard and GPU memory causes seismic stutters, especially as the engine attempts to draw assets in during quick...Curiously, the PS4 and Xbox One feature an effect that refuses to work on PC: motion blur...Despite both camera and object motion blur being available in its settings menu, enabling it gives us no visible return while in-game...Even swapping between Nvidia and AMD graphics cards has no impact in kicking this feature into gear - and likewise for altering the appropriate .ini file line to force the effect...

the Xbox One and PS4 also offer post-processing anti-aliasing that's not available on PC...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-shadow-of-mordor-face-off

mine was 3.7 gb too and is it me or are these vram requirements bullshit?.

No the requirements are not bullshit. With less than 6GB the engine will attempt to cope by falling back to a smaller memory footprint and running a subset of the textures, then swapping missing textures in and out dynamically, which can manifest itself as frame hitching/stutter/drop.

My MSI 970 4Gb @ 1500/8000 1920x1080 *will* stutter during texture swapping when textures set to Ultra - when rotating camera for instance. With High textures ita flawless.

The closeups Ive seen of Ultra vs High are practically placebo, and High textures in this game are still beyond Ultra texture quality in any other game.

The "point" is they didn't set out to make a 6GB game. The developers had 6Gb Titans in their development machines, and downscaled textures to hit the various lower memory targets. At the end of development they decided they might as well give people the option of the textures the developers used on the 6Gb cards. Though they probably shouldve called it Ultra Extreme or something since people are getting way hung up on Ultra and thinking theyre getting less than the optimal experience when running High or lower.

High in SoM > Ultra in pretty much any other game

The "point" is they didn't set out to make a 6GB game. The developers had 6Gb Titans in their development machines, and downscaled textures to hit the various lower memory targets. At the end of development they decided they might as well give people the option of the textures the developers used on the 6Gb cards. Though they probably shouldve called it Ultra Extreme or something since people are getting way hung up on Ultra and thinking theyre getting less than the optimal experience when running High or lower.

High in SoM > Ultra in pretty much any other game

Read a bit earlier in the thread, this is called the Crysis Syndrome :)

Yep after I playing for a few hours I got the stutters, I did not see any at first then all of a sudden WHAM, I have scaled back to high textures and it is smooth as butter and still uses most of 3gb

Odd, it remains playable without issue for me.
I havent had one problem so far with all gfx options maxed, except one occasion where I alt tabbed to Windows and did some browsing and couldnt get back into the game.
But it loaded up just fine and plays great.
There are no big stutters, only very occasional tiny ones.
If one does occur its momentary and doesnt impact gameplay.
(On a 290x)

MSI Afterburner showed my framerate was constantly above 60fps with vsync off (forgot to turn it on).
There was one occasion where it looks like it dipped a couple of frames
I can upload a screenshot if interested.

My game is running from a hard drive, swap file has been recently placed on a second hard drive.
Windows is running from a Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
In case any of that is helpful.

With or without ultra textures, it's a close tussle between PS4, Xbox One and PC

Bullshit it is.

My 10 TFLOPs dual GTX 980 machine utterly destroys the 1.2 TFLOPs Peasantbox One.

Curiously, the PS4 and Xbox One feature an effect that refuses to work on PC: motion blur...Despite both camera and object motion blur being available in its settings menu, enabling it gives us no visible return while in-game...Even swapping between Nvidia and AMD graphics cards has no impact in kicking this feature into gear - and likewise for altering the appropriate .ini file line to force the effect...

Good. Motion blur is cancer and it ruins every game that it infects. Motion blur not working is another point in favor of the PC version.

The sole purpose of motion blur is to degrade visual quality. Some feature indeed.

the Xbox One and PS4 also offer post-processing anti-aliasing that's not available on PC...

As if PC gamers give two shits about post-process anti-aliasing. Yet another "feature" of the console versions which is just a downgrade. Our super-sample anti-aliasing wrecks the console peasants' post-process anti-aliasing.

Even if a PC game runs at 1080p and 60 FPS and a PS4 game runs at 1080p and 60 FPS with the same assets the difference in visual quality between the two is still enormous thanks to our ability to use super-sampling.

With or without ultra textures, it's a close tussle between PS4, Xbox One and PC......[/url]

The problem with the PS4 that I have seen and played is the game seems blurrier and lacks some special affects (Tesselation). The big one being the game is running at 30FPS. It states the game is ''unlocked 60FPS" but in whenever you are in any battle you or on top of a high point overlooking the map (which is a lot) the game is most definitely in the 30FPS range or lower.

I only played this for an hour on the PS4 and that was enough for me, Any mid-range PC from the last 4-5 yrs should easily be able to handle this game with medium-to-high textures.

This is 2014 I can't do 30FPS anymore, let alone 1080p :D

Bullshit it is

The problem with the PS4 that I have seen and played is the game seems blurrier and lacks some special affects (Tesselation). The big one being the game is running at 30FPS. It states the game is ''unlocked 60FPS" but in whenever you are in any battle you or on top of a high point overlooking the map (which is a lot) the game is most definitely in the 30FPS range or lower

if you can spot the differences in IQ in the video below then your eyes are better then mine...

Shadow of Mordor: PS4 vs PC (Ultra Textures/Settings) Comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu3wtz1oVSM

** of course PC's trump consoles in every way but in this particular game it seems like Monolith did a nice job optimizing the game across the board

Back