Shadow of the Tomb Raider

hopefully one day soon DLSS won't be necessary to run RT...DLSS causes blurring but it's needed to offset the performance penalty of RT...so you're screwed either way...now that Nvidia will be adding RT support to Pascal cards in April I'm wondering how Metro will look/perform for those with that generation of cards
The blur is caused by starting with a low base resolution and using an algorithm that isn't resource intensive. I think starting with a higher base resolution would go a long way to solving the blur, but of course then you won't get as much as a performance boost. This is why we need the promised options as Lmah2x alluded to.

Now that all of the DLC's are out (or about to be), what's the general impression of them? Are they worth buying as a bundle on sale? Are they more action focused or puzzle focused?

HM, I think I have the season pass for this, might re-visit it next weekend. Haven't played any DLC yet.

Now that all of the DLC's are out (or about to be), what's the general impression of them? Are they worth buying as a bundle on sale? Are they more action focused or puzzle focused?

I would say the DLC are worth it when it's on sale less than $15/20 for the season pass and that's only if you really enjoyed the base game. My opinion might be slightly swayed negative though because I burned out of SOTTR during my first playthrough but I played it on Deadly Obsession.

any single player DLC released?...or was all the DLC more of those optional tombs?

I would say the DLC are worth it when it's on sale less than $15/20 for the season pass and that's only if you really enjoyed the base game. My opinion might be slightly swayed negative though because I burned out of SOTTR during my first playthrough but I played it on Deadly Obsession.

Its $18 on Steam currently.

I'll play it eventually but honestly, the base game was rushed and underwhelming. The worst of the trilogy by far. I have low expectations for it.

I'll play it eventually but honestly, the base game was rushed and underwhelming. The worst of the trilogy by far. I have low expectations for it.

I thought it was better than the last game. The first was best IMHO with good progression.

I don't think the base game was necessarily rushed but I did find some aspects of Deadly Obsession artificial difficulty which I didn't feel the same with Survivor and Extreme Survivor in ROTTR. I lost an hour or so of progress a few times to game flaws, unintuitive jumps, or vertical hangs where for whatever reason it registered the wrong input.

Well, I finally got around to buying the game, since it went on sale at Steam for $20. 1440p on my Navi RX 5700 and it looks great. Just a heads up for anyone dealing with a crash to desktop issue: disabling the gamebar in Windows 10 1903 fixed it.

Finally picked this up on along with Tomb Raider underworld so I have all the modern Tomb Raider games. Tomb Raider Underworld was only 1.50 game is from 2008 but it uses the Crystal Dymanic engine same as Deus EX was developed on only a few games made it and this was one of them.

Game is pretty boring but it has it's moments when Laura is caught in a bad situation.
20190905092421_1.jpg
Butt Physics

20190905100233_1.jpg
Huricane Doria is no joke

20190905090817_1.jpg

What happens in Mexico stays in Mexico

Game crashed on me once when going to the Amazon Rain Forest not sure why said the driver was out of resouces could be lack of virtual memory.

Game was just fine and actually, pretty fun throughout. :) I actually managed to finish a game in a months time after buying it, for the first time in a long time. :D :) Interesting ending and I did go through most of the tombs and stuff.

Will they be upgrading the current game collection of DLC? I have almost everything but I'd like to know if they'll give me a free upgrade like other devs have with similar games (Arkham series).

How much combat did the DLC areas have? My main gripe was that everything revolved around guns and combat skills that you never used. In at least a the few of the shootouts you were were even forced to use certain weapons/approaches.
The game was still fun as a puzzle/exploration game, but the entire loot and leveling system was borderline useless.

Hm... I wonder how this will stack up to the "Croft Edition", which I was to understand was the main game + digital deluxe extras + Season Pass + Croft extras (aka - everything? Maybe?) . Then again, if it is like Shadow of War where the DE meant new content (in their case, also the complete obliteration of the microtransaction system) plus a lower price, atop everything in the "highest Gold edition", then so much the better.

I still have to play through the entire "Nu-Lara" saga - its on my backlog. I started Tomb Raider (2013) and never finished for whatever reason, but I have both it and Rise of the Tomb Raider with all their DLC, ready to go. I figure i'll pick up Shadow 's DE when it goes on sale.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Lighting is absolutely great in that game even without RTX. But one of the areas I'd like to see improvements graphically would be water and fire. Those typically look very artificial and tend to standout. Take the screen shot above. If there is one weak point to the graphics there, it is the water.

Lights and shadows in this game are a treat, with a splash of RTX.

View attachment 198090 View attachment 198091

Lighting is absolutely great in that game even without RTX. But one of the areas I'd like to see improvements graphically would be water and fire. Those typically look very artificial and tend to standout. Take the screen shot above. If there is one weak point to the graphics there, it is the water.

You really think the water is that bad? I kinda think its...water...

Never really paid that much attention to that tbh, so I must not mind all that much. It reflects nicely and is translucent.

I'm trying to envision what it is that you would like it to look like as these things are a bit subjective of course.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Screenshot 2019.10.31 - 23.10.45.59.png

You really think the water is that bad? I kinda think its...water...

Never really paid that much attention to that tbh, so I must not mind all that much. It reflects nicely and is translucent.

I'm trying to envision what it is that you would like it to look like as these things are a bit subjective of course.

View attachment 198131
I agree. The first area of the game where you have to deep dive to explore and progress is actually some of the best implemented water I've ever seen, though in reality I don't think it would be that clear. In the more shallow water I think they tried to make it more realistic by not making it completely transparent, especially in shadow, but it muddies the finer parallax details that give it life.

I bought it on a 3rd party site like Fanatical I think I don't think it upgraded for me.

Update: it says I own in on a green bar on top so I guess I got it.

Last edited:
I bought it on a 3rd party site like Fanatical I think I don't think it upgraded for me.

Update: it says I own in on a green bar on top so I guess I got it.
So long as the key is registered in Steam it shouldn't matter where the key came from.

Some recent findings, Geforce Game Ready Driver 441.12.

Hard lock ups that require force quitting the game. Less so if no OC and stock clocks on my 2070. But still get a few.

Found a Broken Mission:
Pisco the dead disappeared.
Finished the sidemission with the boys dice and went to turn in.
I see a marker for pisco hanging in the air where he used to stand, and I can start a conversation by hittng F however I cant see or hear him, just Lara's part of the convo which is the same convo as when the mission was first given.
Log says I need to turn it in to him as I spoke to all the outcasts.
So I can't finish that mission.. Last manual save was a long time ago so I would loose a lot of progress.

Found a Broken Mission:
Pisco the dead disappeared.
Finished the sidemission with the boys dice and went to turn in.
I see a marker for pisco hanging in the air where he used to stand, and I can start a conversation by hittng F however I cant see or hear him, just Lara's part of the convo which is the same convo as when the mission was first given.
Log says I need to turn it in to him as I spoke to all the outcasts.
So I can't finish that mission.. Last manual save was a long time ago so I would loose a lot of progress.

This is now apparently a "Known Issue":

Dear Customer,

Thank you for providing us with a screenshot of the issue.

After looking into the matter further, we can confirm that this is a known issue and is currently being looked into by the developers. Unfortunately, we do not have any details for when the issue will be resolved. At this time, we can only advise to load a previous save file.

We apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

Kind Regards,
The Square Enix Customer Support Centre team

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Square Enix products! More help and information is available at the Square Enix Support Centre website. http://support.eu.square-enix.com/

At least with the release of the definitive edition they are probably trying to fix it, they just don't know what the cause is yet.

Apparently owners of the normal game get the Definitive Edition for free. Go figure. I didn't expect that, but Steam says I own it.
This got interesting.
I logged in to check mine and I didnt have the Definitive Edition.
It was downloading an update for SotTR so I restarted Steam when it finished.
I was still no the standard version but noticed a Steam update was now downloading.
On restarting Steam, it installed the Steam update and now it shows I have the Definitive Edition of SotTR.
Woo.

Maybe its a bug in the latest Steam update.

Edit
This image appears when clicking on the game
SotTR Definitive Edition.jpg

Perhaps we dont really have it, they could be advertising the release.

Last edited:
This got interesting.
I logged in to check mine and I didnt have the Definitive Edition.
It was downloading an update for SotTR so I restarted Steam when it finished.
I was still no the standard version but noticed a Steam update was now downloading.
On restarting Steam, it installed the Steam update and now it shows I have the Definitive Edition of SotTR.
Woo.

Maybe its a bug in the latest Steam update.

Easy way to check if you actually have the DE is to log in and see if you got the bonus "Croft Fitness outfit" in inventory as I understand that came only with the DE.

Easy way to check if you actually have the DE is to log in and see if you got the bonus "Croft Fitness outfit" in inventory as I understand that came only with the DE.
I edited my post above, fyi.
Nope I dont have that outfit.
:)

Back