Shadow of Mordor Graphics Compared: Xbox One, PS4 and PC

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s always best if you know what you are getting when buying a new release and how it will play on your platform. GameSpot has compared Xbox One, PS4 and PC visuals side by side for comparison to give you a better idea of what you are in for with Shadow of Mordor.

Based on these examples the PC graphics look best. By quite a margin imo. Even the article admits it. :)

Would have been neat if they would have adjusted the brightness for the PC, looks washed out.

Would have been neat if they would have adjusted the brightness for the PC, looks washed out.

I agree. The color is washed out. Looks more like a watercolor painting with the lack of contrast.

Yeah as mention PC looks washed out, almost hazy, now I don't know if that's the intended effect (since you're a ghost dohicky) but it did not look better, the only time it actually looked "better" is when the rain scene was going on.

Yep the PC version lacked contrast, perhaps due to system settings perhaps due to conspiracy to artificially make the pc version look washed out. Console gamers pay premium for everything so developers actually don't like PC that much.

Personally I wasn't seeing a HUGE difference between the 3. When looking at Xbox 360 vs PC it was a massive difference. For the Xbox One / Ps4 s PC stuff I almost feel you have to either just be very anal or have to stare for minutes or hours to notice differences. Yes the PC version was a little clearer at times but at not point in that video did I look at that and think my god that looks horrible on next Gen vs PC. A few of those I struggled to even notice a real difference other than slight color change.

Not sure if I am alone there or not

i think pc looks the worst due to the washed out colors as mentioned by others. the guy who fixed the graphics for watch dogs should have a look at this game. maybe it's a post processing effect that you can disable anyway.

PC definitely had some washed out colors. Everything else looks basically even by my estimation.

This makes me think there's some shenanigans going on here, possibly the dev being forced to create false parity between ports.

All the guy needs to do is turn hus brightness down (and maybe his contrast up) a little and redo the videos. Look at detail levels not brightness, it helps to pause the video when comparing.

This makes me think there's some shenanigans going on here, possibly the dev being forced to create false parity between ports.
Can't comment on this game specifically, but it's real enough. From an Ubisoft dev leak:

"Currently as it stands, there is definitely a lot of push coming from publishers to not make the experience so different on consoles as to alienate people into thinking that next generation is not as powerful as PC."

"while ‘Yes’ the lead platform is the PC, we simply cannot have such a big gap. "

Its what we've known forever, if they really spent some time to make the PC version all it could be it would blow away everything else.

I think the wither 3 might be a nice example of the devs not holding back due to the console versions. At least I hope so.

I have to agree with the others, the PC version was extremely washed out. They all looked about the same to me, but if I were to choose one I'd say the PS4 version looked best only because all the details weren't washed out. As I was looking at the PC version shots, I was thinking the one I am playing on my PC looks better than what I am seeing in the video by a larger margin.

The real benefit to a PC version is not being locked into the crappy 1080p resolution limit... something that typically never comes up in these video comparisons. Sure, show them all at 1080p, but then throw in a brief clip of it running at 2560x1600 with all settings maxed/tweaked, backed by the needed PC hardware to make it really shine.

And another thing... when making a comparison video, why do they never tweak the video settings for each source such that they show them all it in the best possible way? It's like comparing TV's - you can easily make a very nice high-end set look like crap and a low end set look good in comparison by playing with gamma, color saturation, brightness, sharpness, tint/hue, etc.

The PS4 to me looks best in the comparison. No way the PC version should look that washed out. Seems like something fishy is going on or they didn't set it up the PC version properly.

PS4 looked the best. Not sure if they purposely made the pc version look bad to made console gamers feel cool.

Its what we've known forever, if they really spent some time to make the PC version all it could be it would blow away everything else.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Uses the Unreal Engine, but the visuals are absolutely amazing on the PC. I would seriously doubt the Xbox One or PS4 could pull it off. Great game. I would love to see more developers create masterpieces for the PC. Even if they didn't create the same game for console, I'd be fine. We have all this power, but we get watered down ports.

Shadow of Mordor looks good on the Xbox One. :)

They didn't set the in-game gamma setting correctly. Whoever cut together the video couldn't fix that real quick in post? Total armature hour...

Sweetfx would have changed the complete look of the pc. I use it with every game I play and is always by far the most dramatic image enhancing change I can make

This is pretty much a water is wet situation. People who make these comparisons almost always forget the long tail of the PC. In a year, maybe less, this game will be on sale through steam or bundle with all the patches (some official, some unofficial perhaps) and the hardware to run it will even be better than it is today. However, it will still be full price or close to it on shelves for console owners.

My backlog is long and the free time I have to push through it is getting shorter and shorter... especially with games that aren't ports like wasteland, civ and pillars out or coming out soon.

The PC version looks "washed out" only in comparison to the PS4 which clearly has elevated contrast and chroma levels to the point it looks cartoony. Don't get me wrong, I think Sony hit it dead on for their target audience. If you prefer realism, you already own a PC.

PC version had a fog effect similar to what the xbox one had. The PS4 didn't seem to have a fog.

I liked all 3. The PC version looked slightly better to me. Keeping in mind thaty with enough vram even better textures are available.

Keep in mind -- I know it is a small point but - that we all see colors slightly differently depending how old our eyes are and what corrective vision we use.

Didnt look all that washed out to me, based on my almost 50 year old eyes and monitor settings.

The PS4 to me looks best in the comparison. No way the PC version should look that washed out. Seems like something fishy is going on or they didn't set it up the PC version properly.

I also thought the same. PS4 looked the best from all of them except when it came to the rain.

The game had the xbone and ps4 bottlenecks, and that's basically the maximal amount of development they put into the game.
No fiscal reason to develop anything beyond those systems.

PC version looks like crap in this video. My game doesn't look nearly that washed out.

The PC version looks "washed out" only in comparison to the PS4 which clearly has elevated contrast and chroma levels to the point it looks cartoony. Don't get me wrong, I think Sony hit it dead on for their target audience. If you prefer realism, you already own a PC.
You got it.
Go to one of the really dark scenes and you will see detail in the PC background. High contrast has been used to give artificial sharpness forever. A trick that isn't as obvious on crappy uTube. And yes the PC gamma was off as well.

Can't comment on this game specifically, but it's real enough. From an Ubisoft dev leak:

"Currently as it stands, there is definitely a lot of push coming from publishers to not make the experience so different on consoles as to alienate people into thinking that next generation is not as powerful as PC."

"while ‘Yes’ the lead platform is the PC, we simply cannot have such a big gap. "

When it was revealed that the PC suggested specs for Ultra settings was 6gb Vram I thought there was a huge disparity between that number and the quality of the textures we've seen in game.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks good. For a current gen console game. Nothing wrong with that.

Compare it to Metro / Crysis / Witcher / etc, and it's not an especially attractive PC game.

Something's gone awry in the current state of AAA PC game releases.

The game had the xbone and ps4 bottlenecks, and that's basically the maximal amount of development they put into the game.
No fiscal reason to develop anything beyond those systems.
Well I don't know about this particular game, but the irony is for many studios they DO develop well past that, then chop it down to console standards afterwards, then port it to the PC.

i think pc looks the worst due to the washed out colors as mentioned by others. the guy who fixed the graphics for watch dogs should have a look at this game. maybe it's a post processing effect that you can disable anyway.

^^^ Completely agree. In this example It looks like PS4 > XboxOne > PC

PC and Xbox one trade blows at being last place. If the contrast was higher on the pc recording it may look much better.

Looks like AAA games are gonna take the Watchdogs route until consoles sell enough to allay publishers' fears. Until then I guess PC exclusives are where to go for cutting edge graphics.

As expected PC>PS4>Xbone. They all look fine though and there is not a large difference between them. Regardless of what system you own everyone wins.

Well I seem to have a different opinion than most here. My ranking would be:
PC>Xbox One>PS4

I was surprised that I liked the Xbox One better than the PS4, but there were a few shots where it seemed to have ever so slightly more detail. Still that might've been due to YouTube compression shenanigans.

As for the PC, I believe it looked washed out look because it was running at a different black level. The PS4 and Xbox One were most likely using YCbCr 16-235 levels while the PC was most likely using RGB 0-255 levels. The smaller range of 16-235 would indeed show more contrast, but it also increases the chances of black/white crush of which there was some going on in a few of the PS4/XB1 scenes. So while the PC may need some image adjusting, so too do the consoles.

Unless each source is calibrated properly a true comparison is difficult and YouTube quality doesn't help things either. In the end if you're interested in the game just get it for whichever platform you have/think you'll have the most fun playing on.

Personally I wasn't seeing a HUGE difference between the 3. When looking at Xbox 360 vs PC it was a massive difference. For the Xbox One / Ps4 s PC stuff I almost feel you have to either just be very anal or have to stare for minutes or hours to notice differences. Yes the PC version was a little clearer at times but at not point in that video did I look at that and think my god that looks horrible on next Gen vs PC. A few of those I struggled to even notice a real difference other than slight color change.

Not sure if I am alone there or not

Keep in mind you're looking at through a Youtube lens where the quality is crushed to shit. Actually seeing the game running in person on a high end rig is night and day from that video -- it's eye popping.

Back