Sg03 + GA-G33M-DS2R + Q6600 = too hot?

derekb77

Weaksauce
(i have a similar post in Overclocking and Cooling but i thought SFF group might have more experience with this type of setup)

I have a GA-G33M-DS2R and Q6600 in a Sg03 case, my cooler is a CNPS8700 LED and my temps are really high idle and at load. At first i thought the high temps were because i had applied the Arctic Silver 5 incorrectly ( i spread out the paste on the entire cooler instead of the single line of paste in the middle like Arctic Silver suggests.) I also tried moving the case fan to blow more directly on the CPU (stock configuration has the case fan in the middle) Temps didn't really change much.

Here are my temps with no overclocking.

SpeedFan 4.32
Idle: 37C, 35C, 33C, 33C
Load (after 20min of Orthos): 76C, 75C, 75C, 75C

CoreTemp 0.95
Idle 52C, 50C, 48C, 47C
load (after 20min Orthos): 91C, 90C, 90C, 90C

TJunction on this CPU is 100C

The next step i've found to reduce my temps would be to remove the CPU retention clip so there will be better contact between the heatsink and CPU. i might try lapping as well.

here is the clip i'm talking about and an example of someone that did it::

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=229063

Since the temps are so high, if either removing the retention clip and/or lapping the heatsink don't work, i'm going to try and get a replacement CPU from Intel.

Anyone else have experience with this setup? any experience removing the retention clip and why or why not i should do it? Anyone have a Q6600 in the same kind of setup? Anyone have other suggestions?

Here's a post on Ars that I found:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909585/m/191006506831

"I was getting full load temps of 73/71/70/74 @3.04Ghz, on stock HS, stock voltage, and 21c room.

Now I'm getting full load temps of 62/58/60/63 @3.2Ghz, Tuniq Tower HS, .03v increase, and 21c room"

So, are you using the stock HSF? That Ars guy made it sound like a full size ATX case, so maybe your temps are not outrageous? I have no experience with the quads, though I've been looking into them, and they do seem to run hot. Good luck!

Try installing a second 120mm fan in the front of the SG03, especially if you have a high end video card. If that doesn't help, you could try running the system outside of the case and compare the temps.

Honestly though, I think the Kentsfields are a bit too hot for a small form factor case. Would probably find a better home in a mid-atx with water cooling, but thats just me.

I'm interested to see what your results are because I just picked up a G33M/Q6600 combo. Wondering what kind of case to put it all in, and it's looking like mATX cases just aren't good enough :(.

Try installing a second 120mm fan in the front of the SG03, especially if you have a high end video card. If that doesn't help, you could try running the system outside of the case and compare the temps.

Honestly though, I think the Kentsfields are a bit too hot for a small form factor case. Would probably find a better home in a mid-atx with water cooling, but thats just me.

i actually have two scythe 120mm fans on the way to help with the cooling. Right now i'm just using onboard video so no high end video card yet.

I picked this case because of the size. i wanted the smallest footprint that could still handle a premium system. i wanted it to be quiet too. ive had way too many computers that were big and noisy. even though the temperatures are hot, the system is rock stable and quiet. i've ran orthos overnight without a problem at stock setting. the vent on the front is pretty big and the panel on the side allows for a lot of heat to get out too. i would say the heat created in this system would be the same in most larger cases except for ones with a lot of fans (or liquid cooling) or a one that has seperate chambers like the P180. also, in a larger case you would be able to use a bigger HSF.

Here's a post on Ars that I found:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909585/m/191006506831

"I was getting full load temps of 73/71/70/74 @3.04Ghz, on stock HS, stock voltage, and 21c room.

Now I'm getting full load temps of 62/58/60/63 @3.2Ghz, Tuniq Tower HS, .03v increase, and 21c room"

So, are you using the stock HSF? That Ars guy made it sound like a full size ATX case, so maybe your temps are not outrageous? I have no experience with the quads, though I've been looking into them, and they do seem to run hot. Good luck!

I'm using the Zalman CNPS8700 LED. there aren't really many reviews for it yet since it just came out. Ive had success with Zalman HSF in the past so i decided to go with one of those since i knew i was going to use a quad and the sg03 space was limited. for "SFF and quiet" this was the best choice. the other i considered was a NT-06 but i doubt that would have changed the temps much.

i would say the temps aren't outrageous but im sure i could get them down a bit.

when i installed the HSF there were a couple slight scratches on the base so lapping it should be able to smooth it out.

Whats the Q6600 rated for temp wise? I know for example the E6300/E6400 is rated at 61C. Is the Q6600 rated the same, higher, or lower? Should say in the documentation or on the box somewhere.

Although Zalman makes good coolers, they're not always the best in terms of cooling performance. I wouldn't have picked an 8700 to cool a quad core...anything less than the 9500 or 9700 is pushing it.

You might be better off with the XP-120 and a 120mm fan (or the NT06+ 120MMM fan). They have more heatpipes and wider surface area, which should allow for better cooling.

I'm not sure sure if it fits in the SG03 or not, but if it does, the best cooler you could go with would be the Thermalright Ultra-120 (or Ultra-120 Extreme even) and a 120mm fan. That'll keep a Q6600 at much more reasonable temps. 90°C load is too much. At that temp, you'll probably eventually fry your processor...

And there's no way you'll be able to keep a Q6600 cool and quiet in an mATX setup. If anything, you should put in as many fans as you can to keep your case as cool as possible, which will undoubtedly lead to more noise.

the CNPS8700 is not good for a q6600 neither the xp120 (worse)!!
My cnps 8700 can cool down my [email protected] but beyond, No go!
I have to use my ultra120 to hit 4ghz on matx!
So it will be worse with a quad core with the cnps8700....

The NB chipset heatsink touches the Zalman HSF, not sure if this is affecting the temps either. i might have to add some AS5 underneath the heatsink and/or change the NB heatsink to see if this affects anything.

oscar_zalman_8700_0015_zoom.jpg

i installed TAT previously but it doesnt work in Vista 64bit.

ive been using the info from this link to determine my temps:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131008&page=9&highlight=tjunction

i found this thread after i tried a bunch of tools coretemp, everest, speedfan, rmclock and they were giving me different results.

The program that seems to work the best for me is coretemp 0.95. from what i understand, i should be as far away from "tjunction remaining" as possible. once it hits zero, i think the cpu throttles (?) im not really sure but i think 10C from tjunction is way too hot.

i'm going to try the stock cooler since someone else verified it fits in this case and will also try lapping my Zalman HSF. i'll post my results sometime next week.

I am going to build exactly what you have. I have an SG03 and will be getting a Q6600 with the Gigabyte G33M-DS2R. Which cooler did you decide on?

i went with the CNPS8700 LED. i also tried the stock heatsink which worked fine. my q6600 has the old stepping so it ran a little hotter. both heatsinks work fine, i bought the CNPS8700 LED initially because i thought the stock heatsink wouldnt fit. the CNPS8700 LED maybe dropped the temps by a few degrees so if thats worth it to you go that route. i didnt touch the cpu retention clip like i was thinking. it didnt seem like it was causing the problem. the high temps i mentioned were because i didnt apply the thermal grease optimally. if you have arctic silver 5, check the website for the proper way to apply the grease. another thing that really helped the temps was putting a slot cooler in the top slot above the power supply. i put mine in with a fan regulator to keep the noise down. when the case is upright, the cpu is close to that area, and since heat rises, the slot cooler does a good job exhausting heat from the case. im pretty happy with the setup and am now looking for a good video card to add in. which card are you going with?

I have an 8800GTS and I'll be putting that in my SG03. Do you have an actual temperature numbers?

Also, do you have your PSU blowing at your 8700 and vice versa?

yeah I would love to know what kind of temps you are getting now. A picture of your build would be very helpful.

temps using CoreTemp V.95 is:

Idle:
42 degrees to TJunction remaining
44 degrees to TJunction remaining
46 degrees to TJunction remaining
48 degrees to TJunction remaining

Full Load:
26 degrees to TJunction remaining
27 degrees to TJunction remaining
28 degrees to TJunction remaining
28 degrees to TJunction remaining

I have two 120mm scythe fans up front and the fan controlled slot cooler in the top rear like i mentioned earlier. as you can see the temps run sorta high but not too high. the system is 100% stable. not doing any overclocking. system is extremely quiet. i tried flipping the PSU so its fan can help exhaust the CNPS8700 LED but it really didnt make a difference. im happy with the build and would pick the same parts again.

Back