SG01/03 Heatsink? NT-06 the best I can get for a Quad?

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello all. I'm currently using a Silverstone SG01-E, and will potentially be getting a new set of hardware for it including a Q6600, Gigabyte G33 mobo, and some new RAM. My old Dual Core Opteron was being cooled by a Zalman 7000B-CU, and struggling at that. I plan to do some great OCing (Take it to 3.0 minimum, 3.4 etc..) so I need the best heatsink that can fit.

Its my understanding that the NT-06, fanless, coupled with a power supply sucking the heat up to be exhausted, is the best available air cooling solution that fits?

Is there anything that works better? A different heatsink, or mounting a fan below the grid blowing upward?

Thanks!

Ahhh I see.. I wonder if it will work in an SG01 as well and with my Enermax Liberty 620 instead of a Corsair...

If it works, that would potentially be a better solution methinks?

Got my new gear - NT-06 and a Scythe 120mm fan - now the question I have here, is it a good idea to mount the Scythe underneath the heatsink, blowing upward. Has anyone done so? If so, how do you affix the fan to the underside of the heatsink? I've been toying with removing the little black Nitrogen plate and flipping it upside down, so that the fan holes will be on the bottom? Or is this whole thing a fruitless effort, and I should just go fanless in my SG-01? Thanks

The few posts I have seen where people mount a fan its done underneath blowing upwards. I don't think a 120mm fan will fit. A 80mm seems to be the more common size used and you have to mod it yourself with a twisty tie or a paper clip (wire) like firaga01 mentioned. You might be able to fit a 90mm fan under it.

Hello all. I'm currently using a Silverstone SG01-E, and will potentially be getting a new set of hardware for it including a Q6600, Gigabyte G33 mobo, and some new RAM. My old Dual Core Opteron was being cooled by a Zalman 7000B-CU, and struggling at that. I plan to do some great OCing (Take it to 3.0 minimum, 3.4 etc..) so I need the best heatsink that can fit.

Its my understanding that the NT-06, fanless, coupled with a power supply sucking the heat up to be exhausted, is the best available air cooling solution that fits?

Is there anything that works better? A different heatsink, or mounting a fan below the grid blowing upward?

Thanks!

Yes, using an NT06 Lite w/ an SG01 or SG03 is a fantastic cooling solution. The Enermax will work just fine. All I would suggest doing though is replacing the stock fan from the PSU . I replaced the 120mm fan that came with my Corsair 620w with a 120mm Yate Loon. I ahve it running at full blast with almost zero noise. I've also attached an 80mm fan to the rear back of the PSU to help draw heat out better (this is very optional).

Good luck!

Got a q6600 clocked to 3ghz with a 8700 in my sugo, idle temps around 47-49 .. load max 58-62.
Only down point with the 8700 is i cant fit the silverstone crossflow fan in.

Not totally happy with the cooling at the mo tho, having to run the 8700 at 2000rpm which is'nt queit , looking at modding a panaflo to fit externally where the crossflow goes.

The few posts I have seen where people mount a fan its done underneath blowing upwards. I don't think a 120mm fan will fit. A 80mm seems to be the more common size used and you have to mod it yourself with a twisty tie or a paper clip (wire) like firaga01 mentioned. You might be able to fit a 90mm fan under it.

Could you, or someone, go into more detail as to the logistics of this? I think my 120mmx25mm Scythe will physically fit (without touching the bottom part of the heatsink, but only by a few MM), buthow can I go about attaching it? Where would I anchor the paper clip/twisty tie etc...? Unless its attached to one of the fins somehow, I don't see how I could do it safely? Any more details?

Could you, or someone, go into more detail as to the logistics of this? I think my 120mmx25mm Scythe will physically fit (without touching the bottom part of the heatsink, but only by a few MM), buthow can I go about attaching it? Where would I anchor the paper clip/twisty tie etc...? Unless its attached to one of the fins somehow, I don't see how I could do it safely? Any more details?

I had a 120mmx25mm Yate under mine blowing up. I took the black shroud off the heatsink and attached it with zip ties. The temps sucked though, actually rose 2-3C until I cut the walls off the fan took 4C off the original load temp. Try the 120mm fan swap in your PSU and zip tie an 80mm under the heatsink blowing into the PSU, that should give you enough power to move the hot air out and enough space to bring in fresh air.

Currently, OCed to 2.8ghz, my Q6600 is running at ~45 idle, and 68 or so at full prime95 load (G0 stepping so I think I'm pretty safe). However, I'd like to get it cooler. Can you suggest a high end fan to use underneath the NT06 radiator? 80mm Panaflo, Scythe? Something else?

Also, where exactly should I mount it? Dead center? or off to one side?

i plopped in a gemeni II. it fits! take off the fan tray, and it fits just fine, like any other downblowing hs/psu fan combo. i don't have a quad yet, but my e6320 @ 3.0GHz idle 31C, load 51C
geminsg03toppsu.JPG

Abyone have any experiences with the Zalman CNPS8000 cooler?

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=203&code=009

Im roughing out a SG03 build with a Q6600 which I'd like to push to 3.0ghz. Im wondering if the CNPS would make a better cooler than the popular NT06.
i've seen a lot of mixed reviews... some places say it's very good, some places say it's bad. overall, i think they say it's a quiet hsf, but performance is not super duper awesome kind of thing. geminII in a sg03 ftw!! ;p hehe. that's my 2 cents, but ummm yah...

anyone know where i can monitor my psu temps? i have a seasonic m12 700. are there any programs out there that read the psu temp? i don't remember if it has temp reader in there.

I just bought a NT-06 and I have a problem. The heat sink part where the PSU sits on top of is crooked. Is it bendable? I want to make it level with the part that sits on the CPU so I can mount my PSU on top of it.

I just bought a NT-06 and I have a problem. The heat sink part where the PSU sits on top of is crooked. Is it bendable? I want to make it level with the part that sits on the CPU so I can mount my PSU on top of it.

If at all concerned, then return the heatsink.

However, it is possible to bend the heatpipes connecting the heatsink and the base. It takes a bit of pressure. Don't be ham-fisted, but don't be too delicate.

Back