SG-01 and i7 - Anyone Done This?

JMcQueen

Limp Gawd
Has anyone built an i7 MATX system in a Silverstonetek SG-01? The reason I ask is that Im currently contemplating this combo but struggling to find a suitable i7 cooler that will fit. I've used a SG-01 before and much prefer the layout and arrangement to the later SG's and I need to have two optical drives.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Will do such a build next week - rampage gene+ core i7 920-

Look at my thread here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1381519

Since this worked perfectly with the core2 quad, core i7 will not make much of a difference. Perhaps I will replace the PS fan with one that provides more airflow to compensate for the extra heat of the core i7.

Problem is... i7 does make a lot more difference - NB temps and CPU are higher than LGA775 variants.

The Sugo is small but actually quite nice with respect to cooling options.

With one of the 80 mm case fans blowing directly on the chipset heatsink and the PSU fan drawing the heat directly out, chances are that the inside of the case will not get too hot.

My main concern is that the PSU does not suffer from the heat coming from the CPU.

Will report back next week when the build is done.

Cool, thats not a bad idea in terms of modifying a noctua. Im currently trying to pick up a cheap domino ALC or Corsair water cooling kit from ebay, along with a used SG01 to practice on. Im thinking of cutting a rectangular hole in the side of the case and mounting the radiator on the inside of the case where a full legnth graphics card would fit. I dont use my PC for gaming so the X1600 low profile card that I currently use, or even maybe onboard graphics would be sufficient. Therefore I can use the space that a full size card would have occupied. Though I want used equipment to try this out on for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
The Sugo is small but actually quite nice with respect to cooling options.

With one of the 80 mm case fans blowing directly on the chipset heatsink and the PSU fan drawing the heat directly out, chances are that the inside of the case will not get too hot.

My main concern is that the PSU does not suffer from the heat coming from the CPU.

Will report back next week when the build is done.

Looking forward to an update. :)

My C2D setup when overclocked did decently fine in my SG01 and SG04 case, but after moving to my mini P180, i'll never go back

newinside.jpg

nowthatsclean.jpg

Last edited:
But the Mini P180 is almost the same dimensions as a regular p180, just a couple inches shorter... it's not really a M-ATX case...

Personally, I dont consider the Mini-P180 a SFF case. A mATX case yes, but not SFF. Just because Antec says it is doesnt make it so. This is just my own opinion though. However, its performance is very good. :)

Personally, I dont consider the Mini-P180 a SFF case. A mATX case yes, but not SFF. Just because Antec says it is doesnt make it so. This is just my own opinion though. However, its performance is very good. :)

It's not even a MATX-sized tower. It is comparable to an ATX chassis with 120mm rear fan.

maybe try the shuriken? i know they made a bracket for the i7 so i'd assume it would altest cool it at stock speed

IMO water is the only real way to tame a i7 in a SFF

so perhaps the corsair H50?

The Corsiar H50 is hit-or-miss. You would need a nearby 120mm fan slot (ideally, the rear fan slot near the I/O panel) and that becomes an intake opening, meaning that you'll have to use another fan slot for exhausting hot air. In other words, it's usable with a tower-style case (it would work with the Mini P180 and with the Silverstone TJ08) but not with many SFF desktop cases like the Silverstone SUGO series (particularly, the SG01 and SG02... though I haven't heard of anyone trying it with the SG03/SG04), the Thermaltake LANBOX Lite, or Shuttle systems.

well i'll be tring it soon with my SG03 to see what sort of clocks i can get with my rampage gene and i7 920

IMO SG03 looks kinda ideal for H50 as its front intake can be used to cool the rad and its made for possitive pressure, prob is lack of exhaust so you mite need a blowhole or an extractor fan

I'm looking forward to your results, Akromatic. :) I'd like to rebuild my SG03 end of this year or beginning of next to a i7 setup and I'm looking for ideas on how best to do it.

You can definitely run an i7 in a small case, I would just make sure to get good airflow to it.

http://cid-151851e0a027f0bd.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/case3.JPG

That's how mine was set up, but with maybe half an inch of clearance over the CPU fan it just wasn't cutting it. I got a slimline DVD drive and cut a vent hole so the CPU fan pulls in cold air from outside the case. Now it runs reasonably cool.

Thanks for that info and pic, Jorenm. I been contemplating putting a 120mm blowhole and fan on the top of my SG03 to help exhaust heat. Getting more air onto the i7 CPU would certainly help as well. :)

Back