SFF + X2 + GF7800...or wait for SLI?

Kingpin

Gawd
Im looking for a SFF pc that would use a AMD x2 with a geforce 7800...I would prefer to have SLI but I need to run a min of 2 monitors and sense SLI only works with 1 monitor now would a SFF, x2 and 7800 be the way to go?....If so what SFF would you pick? Thanks

I want to be able to play my games and work at the same time :)

I am just assuming, But will a Dual Core Athlon, and 7800GTX draw too much power for the poor SFF PSU?

USMC2Hard4U said:
I am just assuming, But will a Dual Core Athlon, and 7800GTX draw too much power for the poor SFF PSU?

I think the Shuttle SilentX 250W psu's can handle it with ease. They run 6800GT's just fine, and the 7800GTX's smaller transistors consume less power than the 6800U. I think it will be fine.

Oh, and, USMC, when are you getting your X2 system? My X2 is backordered, but I anticipated this and have a venice 3000+ on order to tide me over, haha.

robberbaron said:
I think the Shuttle SilentX 250W psu's can handle it with ease. They run 6800GT's just fine, and the 7800GTX's smaller transistors consume less power than the 6800U. I think it will be fine.

Oh, and, USMC, when are you getting your X2 system? My X2 is backordered, but I anticipated this and have a venice 3000+ on order to tide me over, haha.
I get back from Iraq in the Middle of August. Its been a long 7 months. Sigh :( I will be getting my system then

USMC2Hard4U said:
I get back from Iraq in the Middle of August. Its been a long 7 months. Sigh :( I will be getting my system then

Well, I hope you get back safely.
I'll let you know how the X2 is and if it's worth it or not. It... probably is.

(cf)Eclipse said:
actually, i do believe SLI works on two monitors, you just have to hook both monitors up to the same video card.

SLI only works on one monitor, but that's only while it's in SLI mode...normally you can run up to four. Although I don't know if that's refering to the jumpers on the mobo, or just being in a game actively using SLI...

Most games don't like multimonitor mode very much. The best, you're going to have a side of the screen with no side, which can be a bit of a problem in many games. Maybe run the games on one system and the other things on a second (probably much cheaper) rig?

I'm looking to get the same kind of setup at the end of this summer, a new SFF, X2, and one of the next-gen vid cards. We'll see whats availabe then for a good price, however these new technologies in processing and graphics make it seem a nice time to upgrade.

Back