SFF for Photoediting

My wife is currently using an Asrock ION 330 (atom processor) as her primary computer. It often chokes on the photos she's editing, especially since we've upgraded to a new DSLR camera (RAW Editing).
Of late its been struggling with watching videos as well, this is most likely an issue with the Linux installation, but I still think she'd benefit from a bit more horsepower.

She's very focused on using a computer with as low-power consumption as possible. (Unlike my beast on the other side of the wall).
Due to the current HD prices, my original plans to upgrade our server and provide her with a Vdesktop for photo editing have been postponed till some far-off day in the future.

I know next to nothing about the world of Small Form Factor, but I think one of the newer Llano processors would be ideal. Preferably one of the 65 Watt ones. The main points I need advice on are cases and power supplies.

How difficult is it to get a decent mini-ITX System? Oder would I need to look at micro-ATX? There isn't really room under the desk for a tower.

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Overclocking, Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc.
- Photo Editing (in Linux using Bibble, RAW Format)
- General Office/School Usage
- Video Streaming from Server (DVB-T, Video)
- Flash
- Needs to be linux compatible, emphasis on power saving

2. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?
- No more than 400 Euros
- Cost is important

3. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
Berlin, Germany, the stores around here don't have almost anything worthwhile.

4. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
- Case
- Processor
- Mainboard
- RAM
- power Supply

5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.
Laptop-size HDD and CD Drive from Asrock ION 330 (Current PC)

6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.
Linux Compatibility, USB 3.0 would be nice for the future, an ethernet port

7. What resolution output do you need? 1080p, 720p, DVD quality, etc for HTPC or list Vertical/horizontal resolution for non-HTPC SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?
24" Monitor at 1920 x 1200

8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc.
No

9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?
My selection of tools is pretty poor, so preferably no modifications needed.

10. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care
- Medium. We use it to watch TV, and I sleep in the same room where my wife will be using it.

11. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?
not at all

12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards
FOSS ftw.

13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?
March, most likely.

I'm hesitant to quote prices as you're in Germany (and your mileage may vary ;)), but definitely check out the Asus F1A75-I Deluxe motherboard, it is loaded with features and has a ton of fan configuration options in the UEFI which will help you keep the computer quiet.

So, here are a couple recommendations to get you started (with estimated USD prices)
Motherboard: Asus F1A75-I Deluxe ($140)
CPU: AMD A6-3500 ($90) (65w)
Ram: Mushkin Blackline 2x4GB DDR3 1600 ($50) (llano benefits from faster DDR3 speeds)
Case/PSU: Antec ISK 300-150 (comes with 150w psu) ($80)

you'll need a 5.25" drive to slim CD-Rom adapter, but they can be had for $10 or so :)

Price Quotes I can track down well enough :) Thanks for the tips though.

Should I be using the stock llano cooler or an aftermarket one?

How good are the power supplies in these? Would it be worthwhile to replace the one that comes with the case?

Usually the antec psus are pretty good. Stock cooler should work fine ;)

Back