SFF - Best cooling configuration. 3 Noctua options

falander

n00b
Hey Everyone.

I am currently trying to make a new build inside a Silverstone FTZ01B-E case with the new Ryzen 5 3600. The case has a 83 mm clearance for the CPU cooler.
I did run into a problem what cooling option from Noctua should I choose to make the whole configuration quiet and low on temps.
I will probably make some small OC but not too much.
The case fan would be an intake one as this is the only vent I got on this side of the panel.

1. NH-L12S - height 70 mm
If I take this one I cannot fit (without slight rad bending) a NF-A12x15 PWM fan as I am short on 2 mm.
The fan on the cooler would blow the air pass the rad fins and opposing the intake case fan. Sounds bad?

2. NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 - height 65 mm
In this configuration I can also use a NF-A12x15 PWM fan but now I have about 3mm space left.
I would have the fan blowing air on rad and the case one as intake.

3. Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 - height 37 mm
For this one I could even fit a NF-A12x25 PWM and have about 21 mm space.
The fan configuration as in the 2nd option.

What do you think would be the best?
Go easy in the middle, try to make it harder on the 1st or choose the 3'rd option that should work fine but with higher temps and sound?
Other recommendations?

Thanks

I put together a system with my friend that used the original FTZ01 (with the disc drive) and we had no issues fitting a NH-L12S. We chose to mount the second Noctua fan to the case lid. It doesn’t line up perfectly but it did seem to cool an i7 8700 pretty well.

I put together a system with my friend that used the original FTZ01 (with the disc drive) and we had no issues fitting a NH-L12S. We chose to mount the second Noctua fan to the case lid. It doesn’t line up perfectly but it did seem to cool an i7 8700 pretty well.
That is a promising info for me :)
So the only thing right now is just to buy all the stuff, put it together and I hope I'll manage to fit it properly.
Thanks for the tip.

I know that sometimes case manufacturers will be conservative with their listed cooler clearances so 1 or 2mm over the advertized spec may still be able to squeeze. Hard to say for sure.

I asked him to send me a picture to show you how it looks and will post it if he comes through.

We never tried to use the fan clips on top (instead just using the intake mount with screws). Perhaps that’s why it worked? I don’t recall any resistance when we put it back together.

So next week I should be able to post some pictures and write my feelings about the build.

Back