SFF 8643 to PCI-E Intel 750

rc3ilynt

Limp Gawd
I should have probably picked up the PCI-E version but I got a decent deal on the 2.5" version of the Intel 750. My motherboard has neither a SFF8643 port or a M.2/U.2 slot. I'm looking for a mini-sas to pci-e adapter but wanted to see if anyone has actually had any luck with one. The only one I've found is:

Mini SAS HDx1 (SFF-8643) to PCIe Gen 3 4-Lane Adapter

Alternatively, I thought about attaching it to the ASUS hyper kit and then to an m2 to PCI-E adapter. Is there a disadvantage to this?

I will be running this with X79 so it's going to be a pain regardless.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Hyper Kit doesn't work with every board out there. Components are pretty picky about it unfortunately with how fast the interface is. What board do you have?

I've not had any experience with the adapter you linked, but this is known to work reasonably well: Funtin PCIe NVMe SSD Adapter U.2 (SFF-8639) Interface x4 Lane Slot PCI Card

Supermicro also makes a couple high quality adapters, but they aren't cheap unfortunately.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm using an ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition, but didn't know the hyperkit was locked down in any way so that's definitely a good advice.

Would the SSD mount directly onto the adapter? This is definitely interesting.

Ah, with an Asus board, you should be alright so long as you have an option in the UEFI to enable the Hyper Kit. The SSD does indeed mount directly to the adapter I linked. If you haven't looked into it, you can also modify the UEFI to allow booting off NVMe by adding the necessary drivers. I can link a guide if you're interested.

Ah, with an Asus board, you should be alright so long as you have an option in the UEFI to enable the Hyper Kit. The SSD does indeed mount directly to the adapter I linked. If you haven't looked into it, you can also modify the UEFI to allow booting off NVMe by adding the necessary drivers. I can link a guide if you're interested.

The Asus option actually comes out to cheaper but I would probably need to modify the bios just to enable the feature. The guide would be appreciated (y)

Back