SF750 issues on new Ryzen build

vertigomhs

[H]ard|Gawd
HI All,

I'm having issues with a new Corsair SF750 I bought working with my new Ryzen build. I'm confused as I originally thought the PSU was bad as it would randomly shut down after a few minutes, instantly or at boot. I decided to try jumping the pin on the 24-pin and it worked without shutting down. I then ran it on my old x58 build and even on there it was stable and didn't shut off after a good while of running it.

This is where it gets trickier. On this new Ryzen build I've been running on my old Corsair TX750 and it's been fine. But before this SF750 I had bought a second hand SF600 and that also had this same issue as the SF750. I'm starting to think the SF PSUs have something in common that isn't working with my system or is really two Corsair SF PSUs in a row that are bad?

If you PSU is not affected by the units listed in Thumper's post above, be sure you have upgraded your bios. The fact that the board posts at all indicates that your bios has been updated. But, there was some other funky power issues with the Ryzen chips that has been addressed over time.

If you PSU is not affected by the units listed in Thumper's post above, be sure you have upgraded your bios. The fact that the board posts at all indicates that your bios has been updated. But, there was some other funky power issues with the Ryzen chips that has been addressed over time.
Interesting, I’ll give it a shot. I’ll report back...

I decided to try jumping the pin on the 24-pin and it worked without shutting down. I then ran it on my old x58 build and even on there it was stable and didn't shut off after a good while of running it.

DO NOT force the PSU to stay on by shorting out the PS_ON wire, that's a quick way to kill your system. It's like getting mad your house breaker trips so you wedge a screw in the switch so it won't trip at all when there's some rat chewed wire in the attic and suddenly the house is on fire.

DO NOT force the PSU to stay on by shorting out the PS_ON wire, that's a quick way to kill your system. It's like getting mad your house breaker trips so you wedge a screw in the switch so it won't trip at all when there's some rat chewed wire in the attic and suddenly the house is on fire.
Haha, no I ran the PSU without anything but a fan hooked up to it.

I think Corsair just did a recall on those SF750 for being faulty. Google it, I was looking at my phone this morning and think I saw that on one of those online magazines.

I'm sure you'll get replacements or some sort of.
Yes, they did do a recall on a range of serial #'s which I am a part of so hoping to get my replacement soon!

Ah, the way you said it made it sound like you had a board connected when you did it. I've seen people do it and sometimes it results in something going on fire.

Yes, they did do a recall on a range of serial #'s which I am a part of so hoping to get my replacement soon!
It's been almost 3 weeks has Corsair unscrewed the pooch yet?

It's been almost 3 weeks has Corsair unscrewed the pooch yet?
I did the RMA request and was approved but haven't sent it out yet. Some people are reporting 2 week turnaround time as the replacements ship from international locations.

That's terrible, they should cross ship the PSU's. Thanks for that, I haven't bought a corsair psu before and I definitely won't now.

That's terrible, they should cross ship the PSU's. Thanks for that, I haven't bought a corsair psu before and I definitely won't now.

You can cross ship, but Corsair is going to charge (not hold) ~$100. Once the old PSU is received they will refund the charge. Not the best PR but you can minimize downtime with a little inconvenience.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
these SFX PSU's are out of stock everywhere. Not surprised on the long turn around time. I was lucky and snagged a Silverstone ST45SF v3 on Amazon.

these SFX PSU's are out of stock everywhere. Not surprised on the long turn around time. I was lucky and snagged a Silverstone ST45SF v3 on Amazon.

They are starting to trickle back into stock. Looks like some of the higher powered Silverstone ones are due back in Amazon by the middle of July.

I’m a little stumped now. I got my replacement and it still does not work. It gets to the ASUS mobo screen but as soon as the Windows loading screen should begin it shuts off.

any ideas? Keep in mind my old Corsair PSU has been running this rig just fine for a few months now.

UPDATE:BIOS updated and now it works 🤦🏻‍♂️. Thanks for the suggestion!

UPDATE 2: back to not working. I’m not sure if 4 PSUs in a row are the issue anymore but something is definitely up...

Last edited:
I’m a little stumped now. I got my replacement and it still does not work. It gets to the ASUS mobo screen but as soon as the Windows loading screen should begin it shuts off.

any ideas? Keep in mind my old Corsair PSU has been running this rig just fine for a few months now.

UPDATE:BIOS updated and now it works 🤦🏻‍♂️. Thanks for the suggestion!

UPDATE 2: back to not working. I’m not sure if 4 PSUs in a row are the issue anymore but something is definitely up...

Does it work with your old PSU still?

Does it work with your old PSU still?
Yes, back to the old PSU for now. I’m can’t figure this one out. I’ll have to pull out an old build tomorrow and test with this replacement unit. At this point I’m ready to give up. It’s weird that it booted up once and ran windows fine until I restarted and that’s when it stopped booting again.

Yes, back to the old PSU for now. I’m can’t figure this one out. I’ll have to pull out an old build tomorrow and test with this replacement unit. At this point I’m ready to give up. It’s weird that it booted up once and ran windows fine until I restarted and that’s when it stopped booting again.

Now I'm a little nervous. I just picked up a SF600 for a build :eek: .

Is the SF750 on Asus' QVL for power supplies for that board? In fairness, I never look at the PSU QVL as this is kind of a strange problem, but I wonder if they tested it or not.

Now I'm a little nervous. I just picked up a SF600 for a build :eek: .

Is the SF750 on Asus' QVL for power supplies for that board? In fairness, I never look at the PSU QVL as this is kind of a strange problem, but I wonder if they tested it or not.
I haven’t looked for an official list but the Corsair SF series is highly recommend on r/sffpc on reddit and has been used plenty of times on this motherboard. I know these SFX PSUs have issues across the board no matter what the brand but I didn’t think it could be this bad unless it’s something on my end.

I’m sure you won’t go through anything like this though.

Last edited:
What GPU are you using with this new build? Reminds me of something I read on jonnyguru forums about certain newer PSUs having issues with certain GPUs (I think it was seasonic and radeons though)

Can you try a different/older GPU for kicks?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Have you tried testing your memory? a couple of passes with memtest might be worth your time.

What GPU are you using with this new build? Reminds me of something I read on jonnyguru forums about certain newer PSUs having issues with certain GPUs (I think it was seasonic and radeons though)

Can you try a different/older GPU for kicks?
running an MSI Ventus 1660ti. I’ll try another GPU shortly. Booted up my old build with this replacement PSU and it worked. So something is wrong on the new build.

Have you tried testing your memory? a couple of passes with memtest might be worth your time.
I’m thinking you may be on to something. I know these sticks of LPX can’t even run their rated speed right now. I’ll try this next as well.

Do you have XMP turned on in BIOS? (I think it is AMP for Ryzen)
XMP profile doesn’t work for me. Apparently a common problem and it’s thought Corsair shipped them with incorrect profiles. Corsair really on a roll with me lol.

also tried manual timings at 3000mhz @ 1.35v and no success. They’re rated 3200 16-18-18-18-36

Unplug the power and reset switches from the motherboard. You can turn on the pc by manually jumping the header pins. If it doesn't shut off randomly anymore, its probably a faulty switch or pinched wire in the case.

Unplug the power and reset switches from the motherboard. You can turn on the pc by manually jumping the header pins. If it doesn't shut off randomly anymore, its probably a faulty switch or pinched wire in the case.
It’s been working fine with my other PSU for months now so shouldn’t be this.

I’ve narrowed down my issue and it’s ram/motherboard related. Both sticks are good and will boot just fine no matter which of the two slots I put them in but once I put both in is when it won’t boot. I’m going to assume this is a motherboard issue but I have no clue how to fix it.

also, was able to run memtest86 and came up with 0 errors or issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nobu
like this
Hmmmm board or CPU I/O die maybe? Tricky one... good luck!

Yeah, that sounds likely. I've had a similar issue, now that you mention it, but I was overclocking. Have you tried setting bios to optimized defaults (save/write down your settings first)? Also try increasing the voltage to your memory and cpu a bit, see if it helps.

Back