Sexually Attractive Male Heroes In Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess this is a new twist on the tired, worn out, beat to death topic of sexually attractive game characters.

He is unlikely to be treated as a sexual object with no agency or mind of his own, as many sexy woman game characters are. Wei Shen, like other attractive male protagonists, can be a good looking guy who kicks ass, gets the job done, and never appears to be weak.

Did I wake up in an alternate universe? White chicks dig Asian guys now? I've even noticed that a lot of fashion companies are using Asian male models now.

I often wonder what the end game is for people such as the author? To make laws where men and women are completely equal in totallity? Sounds good, until you realize, not even all men are equal to each other. Like say, they want to make women clothes look like men's clothes? Fine and well, except men do not wear the same thing. A man typically wears just a bottom to the beach and not a top. Want to make women equal, then have them all do the same? What's that, not so keen on the idea any more? Yea thought not. I term this reality shock, they can't handle innate differences, and try to rationalize them away, until it's inconvenient for them, then they completely reverse themselves.

If you believe that it is tired worn out and beat to death, then why the heck are you spreading it?

I often wonder what the end game is for people such as the author? To make laws where men and women are completely equal in totallity? Sounds good, until you realize, not even all men are equal to each other. Like say, they want to make women clothes look like men's clothes? Fine and well, except men do not wear the same thing. A man typically wears just a bottom to the beach and not a top. Want to make women equal, then have them all do the same? What's that, not so keen on the idea any more? Yea thought not. I term this reality shock, they can't handle innate differences, and try to rationalize them away, until it's inconvenient for them, then they completely reverse themselves.

A man walks down the street topless and no one bats an eye. A woman does it and everyone loses their minds.

A woman goes to the beach in a bikini and thong and no one bats and eye. A guy does it and everyone loses their minds.

Men & women are different. Rather than deny that, it should be embraced.

As far as having sexualized men in video games and other media - it's been there for a long time. Just not as the main focus point. You think men like looking at chiseled bodies with tight spandex suits with a strong jaw and kicking ass? That's what a lot of the characters are. Games?

Some games are very sexualized with women. Their target audience is young males. Which most happen to very much enjoy the sexy women.

I'm fine with more games having attractive male heroes. Do I care? No, I'm playing my game. I've never cared that Wolverine was a muscular bad ass wearing tight clothes. Or other games where the guys are these physically flawless pieces of meat. I'm playing the damn game. Girls with tight clothes? I'm not pausing the game to check shit out. I'm playing the game.

From the article:
"He isn't given the male equivalent of upskirt photos while he fights. The camera doesn't move in such a way that his primary sexual characteristics are the focus of the shot."

Makes me wonder what a male upskirt shot would be? Is that something like when on the movie Bloodsport Van Damn wakes up in the morning and it shows him with nothing on but his tight briefs and it focuses on them for several seconds. :eek:

If Steve Ballmer isn't featured here, then there is no male attractiveness worth noticing.

Damn, you beat me to it.
SEXY!!!1

130823121459-04-steve-ballmer-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Men & women are different. Rather than deny that, it should be embraced.

It really should. It's the spice of life as they say. These people minds remind me of dystopic sci-fi where there is only one body type, and everyone is a clone of that and looks the same. Maybe we should do that when we get a chance, I mean, otherwise someone's feelings are going to get hurt, right?

We do people care what their characters look like? It could yellow cube for all I care. Where do these obviously NON gamers come from and what do they want?

It really should. It's the spice of life as they say. These people minds remind me of dystopic sci-fi where there is only one body type, and everyone is a clone of that and looks the same. Maybe we should do that when we get a chance, I mean, otherwise someone's feelings are going to get hurt, right?
which people? people like the bisexual author of the article saying she enjoyed playing a sexy male character because the camera didn't leer all over his body (crotch, ass, whatever) in some way that makes her feel creepy?

which people? people like the bisexual author of the article saying she enjoyed playing a sexy male character because the camera didn't leer all over his body (crotch, ass, whatever) in some way that makes her feel creepy?

She didn't just 'say' it, she wrote an article about it. And what would you like me to do, make a list of everyone on the planet that does it? I notice when you argue against certain points of view, frequently a person will not understand english terms any more..

She didn't just 'say' it, she wrote an article about it. And what would you like me to do, make a list of everyone on the planet that does it? I notice when you argue against certain points of view, frequently a person will not understand english terms any more..
Just sounds like you're going a bit off the rails. Apparently you're talking about someone, somewhere, someplace when I thought you were talking about the author:
I often wonder what the end game is for people such as the author? To make laws where men and women are completely equal in totallity?
Her "end game" is that players can control sexy characters, both male and female, without feeling like they're customers at a peep show.

Just sounds like you're going a bit off the rails. Apparently you're talking about someone, somewhere, someplace when I thought you were talking about the author:
If I was just talking about the author, I would have said 'the author' instead of 'people'.
Her "end game" is that players can control sexy characters, both male and female, without feeling like they're customers at a peep show.

And how does one do that exactly? Without applying it everywhere, all the time? "We're going to be equal in video games, not at the beach, etc." is what it sounds like.

If I was just talking about the author, I would have said 'the author' instead of 'people'.
Therein lies the problem, you keep lumping in the author of the article with these other people you're railing against but she doesn't state, imply, nor share the views of the people you seem to be caricaturing.

And how does one do that exactly? Without applying it everywhere, all the time? "We're going to be equal in video games, not at the beach, etc." is what it sounds like.
looked to be a fairly simple explanation from the article: character was obviously sexy to her and everyone in the room, no camera poking up his buttcrack, no spreading his legs every time he shot his gun, clothes didn't tear off as he punched baddies to reveal his boobies

she was very explicit about what she was observing and how she felt differently about other games. none of what she said was closely approximated by what you wrote. here's a link to help you out in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZkCPo7tC0

Therein lies the problem, you keep lumping in the author of the article with these other people you're railing against but she doesn't state, imply, nor share the views of the people you seem to be caricaturing.

So she complains about sex in video games, but she's not like the other people who do so? Right.

looked to be a fairly simple explanation from the article: character was obviously sexy to her and everyone in the room, no camera poking up his buttcrack, no spreading his legs every time he shot his gun, clothes didn't tear off as he punched baddies to reveal his boobies

she was very explicit about what she was observing and how she felt differently about other games. none of what she said was closely approximated by what you wrote. here's a link to help you out in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZkCPo7tC0

Certain things in life can be inferred, like if she likes that it was unrevealing, then she finds other games too revealing. That is what she is saying, whether it came out of her mouth or not, I tend to lump idiots into groups, because I do not have a time to study them in a lab. This article seems idiotic, there are tons of games that do this, so it is not note-worthy, it is easy to avoid the games that do, and if you find it that bad you probably have personal issues.

So she complains about sex in video games, but she's not like the other people who do so? Right.
This might surprise you, but different people can complain about a broad topic like "sex" but still hold differences of opinion as to why they do or don't like the topic.
I tend to lump idiots into groups, because I do not have a time to study them in a lab.
It just seems common sense, and not entirely onerous, to take a minute or two out of your day to understand the person's objections before lumping her (or anyone) into a category of idiots based on what you think about their idea (when you claim you haven't bothered to understand what they are even complaining about).
This article seems idiotic
If you disregard my comments above, all you really need to know is that answer to all your questions is: she never says anything like that. her answer to all those questions you just posed would likely be, dunno, she's just happy to finally play a sexy character without gratuitous upskirts and tit bouncing when she's trying to kill baddies.

I feel like Polygon and Kotaku links should explicitly be labeled so people know they're just wasting time going to inflammatory click bait

If you believe that it is tired worn out and beat to death, then why the heck are you spreading it?

How long have you been here? And you still don't know that we like to post links to stuff like this so you guys can have your say on it?

[H] Clicks...

You are already off to a rough start here, don't get banned before you even hit the one month mark. :rolleyes:

All games should just have options in the config of the game to have a male or female character, Hot or plain, or as tranny as the player wants. Problem solved. You want to play as a butch van dyke that is your choice!

This might surprise you, but different people can complain about a broad topic like "sex" but still hold differences of opinion as to why they do or don't like the topic.

If it makes you feel better to pretend I don't know that, feel free. You seem to think it's not possible to infer thoughts from words and actions, don't know how you survive without that skill, shrug.

It just seems common sense, and not entirely onerous, to take a minute or two out of your day to understand the person's objections before lumping her (or anyone) into a category of idiots based on what you think about their idea (when you claim you haven't bothered to understand what they are even complaining about).

I did take time, I took time to read the silly little article, and I almost wanted my time back. It's the same silly nonsense as always.

If you disregard my comments above, all you really need to know is that answer to all your questions is: she never says anything like that. her answer to all those questions you just posed would likely be, dunno, she's just happy to finally play a sexy character without gratuitous upskirts and tit bouncing when she's trying to kill baddies.

I've seen probably the same games as her, I don't see how it's rational to feel that way, therefore in my mind it's silly whining for feminist hits.

or just use archive.today so that they can't even get unique page view numbers (Ads aren't the only way they can monetize; they can even use the analytics of their site)

that said, this hypocritical narrative is exactly the reason why polygon and the likes are crap.

Note, I support having a "sexy" male character just as much as a "sexy" female character; in the end, it should be the end-user's choice just like how it is in Saints Row 4 and Mass Effect series.

And you clicked it... :p

I didn't click the article because I hovered over the link first...
I really didn't. I just quoted it because I was informed that Steve banned that user from the front page just for saying [H] clicks.

I don't think that is against the rules here but, yup, he was banned from the front page for it. They didn't ban him out right because some that care would notice. Oh well, it is what it is.

^^^ lots of people angry that someone likes a modest sexual portrayal of man

Note, I support having a "sexy" male character just as much as a "sexy" female character; in the end, it should be the end-user's choice just like how it is in Saints Row 4 and Mass Effect series.

Agree for the most part. Games are fiction/fantasy. Why would you want to play something that you don't enjoy looking at? I like sexy characters. I also like seasoned, scarred up badass characters. I also like combinations of these. Borderlands seems to walk a decent line of sexy-yet-torn-up-badassery IMO. I also like some of the characters in RAGE. They're pretty realistic in that they're not totally over the top. There are some realistic characters, some semi-sexy, some outright ugly.

That said, and having just used the term myself, I'm just now finding that I'm having an issue with the term "realistic" when referring to a person's aesthetics. A little off topic, but people including me until right now, use it to describe a more average looking person whatever that means. However, there are some ridiculously sexy people in real life that aren't actors, models, etc. that just do every day jobs. Sometimes they're even more attractive than any model I could think of. Hmm... Sorry mind wandered off on a tangent there...

So yeah... I'm all for sexy characters. In a game there should be a range though to fit the setting. The whole game shouldn't be sexy characters only, unless the game is about sexy characters.

Also, earth to anyone complaining about jiggling boobies... Boobies jiggle... ...so there...

^^^ lots of people angry that someone likes a modest sexual portrayal of man

Oh, that what it was? I thought someone wrote an attention whoring article about it, must be my imagination. :rolleyes: I like my dr. pepper on my desk, maybe I'll write an article about it...

Back