Several macOS Monterey Features Unavailable on Intel-Based Macs

Microsoft has tied new versions of DirectX to Windows OS releases, even though I'm sure there would be a way to make it work (maybe with slower performance, but still supported) but they didn't.

Microsoft has tied new versions of DirectX to Windows OS releases, even though I'm sure there would be a way to make it work (maybe with slower performance, but still supported) but they didn't.
at the beginning dx12 was win10 only but it got ported to win7. is there one i forgot?

DX10 was Vista only, DX11 was Win 7, DX12 was Win 10 only for several years (they eventually did port it, but only for some games).

While Vulkan is supported on Win 7+, meaning there is no technical reason DX10-12 could not have been as well, but MS force tied it to new Windows versions.

DX10 was Vista only, DX11 was Win 7, DX12 was Win 10 only for several years (they eventually did port it, but only for some games).

While Vulkan is supported on Win 7+, meaning there is no technical reason DX10-12 could not have been as well, but MS force tied it to new Windows versions.
dx10 is on 7, dx11 is on 10, covered dx12, i guess it takes time to port it backwards. are you upset you cant run vulkan on vista?

So....If you just shelled over tens of thousands for a Mac Pro and perhaps even the Apple monitor if you're an extra special person, should you be worried about becoming the red head stepchild of the Apple lineup?

For tens...Of...Thousands...Of dollars (bearing in mind prices gain an extra 'outside US tax' the second tech is sold outside the USA). At least you can say it looks pretty I suppose? But is it as pretty as the iPad on a stick called the iMac?

If you shelled over tens of thousands for a Mac Pro and Apple obsoletes it with a vastly more powerful new machine after one year, you'd be absolutely thrilled and upgrade immediately. That's what average users here don't get - people buying machines for $10k+ aren't buying them as toys, they are buying them because they make them money. Even a $50k computer is a drop in the bucket compared to software licensing fees at work, so if I could double our performance after one year and totally write off a $30k loss even better.

If I could cut our simulation times in half I could recoup the cost of a $20k upgrade in one contract.

If you shelled over tens of thousands for a Mac Pro and Apple obsoletes it with a vastly more powerful new machine after one year, you'd be absolutely thrilled and upgrade immediately. That's what average users here don't get - people buying machines for $10k+ aren't buying them as toys, they are buying them because they make them money. Even a $50k computer is a drop in the bucket compared to software licensing fees at work, so if I could double our performance after one year and totally write off a $30k loss even better.

If I could cut our simulation times in half I could recoup the cost of a $20k upgrade in one contract.
I would chalk up those users' misperceptions to PC enthusiast syndrome — that is, the tendency to assume their PC experience must be true for absolutely everyone else on the planet. They forget that time really is money in the workstation world; dropping $20K on a Mac Pro is worth it if it nets you $40K in cost savings or extra sales.

I would chalk up those users' misperceptions to PC enthusiast syndrome — that is, the tendency to assume their PC experience must be true for absolutely everyone else on the planet. They forget that time really is money in the workstation world; dropping $20K on a Mac Pro is worth it if it nets you $40K in cost savings or extra sales.
It sounds stupid but new hardware also fires employees up. If your paying artsy designer types decent money... and sticking a new 7-10k machine in front of them. The uplift can be measured... and it often is. lol
Part of it is of course just the extra few seconds here and there.... it all adds up, we might laugh at spending 10k to gain single digit performance, but if that translates to even 5% more work. Its worth it, especially when you factor in true cost to business of new hardware. I mean tax laws are different everywhere, but in the country I'm in most companies lease their hardware and they get nice big juicy tax breaks. So often that 10k machine really costs them 2k... and if they get a combined 5 or 6% uplift in output from the human sitting at it via speed increases and employee wow factor for the first while, they're laughing.

Well, if you consider tasks that require long processing or rendering and compiling, then a new computer could easily pay for itself and then some for a business.

For example, I think it takes about 25 minutes for me to compile the Unreal source code on my 6-core machine. If I upgraded to a 12-core (like Epic recommends for UE5) then imagine that compile time of 12 minutes. Those extra savings adds up quickly if you are compiling several times per day, everyday, easily paying for itself within weeks or months.

The same would be true for video editing 4K movies, 3D offline rendering, etc.

Yeah, I'd be thrilled if I bought a screwdriver for some obscene sum of money, only to find that 18 months down the track it would only work on half the screws used in my industry and I had to spend more obscene amounts of money to buy a new screwdriver.

Consumerism at it's finest right there, lets just make that new Mac Pro landfill for the new iPad on a stick. I can assure you that the SFX industry that's mostly based around Linux workstations, servers and rendering farms won't be upgrading the few Mac Pro's they just bought any time soon. It didn't happen regarding the failed Trashcan Mac Pro and it won't happen with the new Mac Pro.

Yeah, I'd be thrilled if I bought a screwdriver for some obscene sum of money, only to find that 18 months down the track it would only work on half the screws used in my industry and I had to spend more obscene amounts of money to buy a new screwdriver.

Consumerism at it's finest right there, lets just make that new Mac Pro landfill for the new iPad on a stick. I can assure you that the SFX industry that's mostly based around Linux workstations, servers and rendering farms won't be upgrading the few Mac Pro's they just bought any time soon. It didn't happen regarding the failed Trashcan Mac Pro and it won't happen with the new Mac Pro.

If the new screwdriver fastened screws twice as fast as the old one, every professional construction company would buy it since it'd pay for itself.

For example, Milwaukee came out with their MX powered line of tools a couple years ago. This broke battery compatibility with their M18 line and as someone who is heavily invested in that, I was a bit disappointed - until I saw the capabilities of the MX line (particularly the lighting). Them moving to the MX formfactor provided capabilities that their M18 line never could, and thus despite the increased cost it's been a runaway success for them.

Mac isn't a screwdriver. And if it was, it'd be getting an updated OS which doesn't support new shaped philips screws with the old screwdriver. Old screws are still supported, and the new screwdriver supports both old and new (and drives some screws faster).

Use the one that works best for you?

Look most companies do this kinda crap to get you to move on
I just hate Apple because of their mad hardon to make shit as difficult as possible to repair.
Annoys the fuck out of me.,

Funny, I just went from Android to iOS after 10 or so years because of the update situation.
No you didn't. You went iOS because your friends did.
Ah, but like I noted earlier, the likelihood of someone buying an Apple Silicon Mac just for those features is... slight. Strictly anecdotally, I have a 2019 iMac and I won't be in a rush to buy a new one even if they overhaul the 27-inch model with everything I'd hope for. You'd have to be pretty hardcore to buy a new Mac just for a few minor software features. If you get an M1 system, you get it for the performance and (on laptops) battery life; anything else is gravy.
Then why did Apple limit the updates to their M1 hardware? Before you say because of their AI engine, where do you see the AI engine needed for these updates?

Then why did Apple limit the updates to their M1 hardware? Before you say because of their AI engine, where do you see the AI engine needed for these updates?
Likely for efficiency — both the computational efficiency (having a dedicated AI engine makes it relativley painless) and saving a lot of time on developing separate, more generic approaches that will only be used for a few years. To abuse car analogies: would you start designing a cutting-edge gas engine knowing that it will soon be obsolete, or save your efforts for the electric motor you know is the future? It's an overly pragmatic move, perhaps, but not really malicious.

No you didn't. You went iOS because your friends did.

lmao what? fanboi more please, buddy 💅

Edit: No wait, you "know" I switched because "my friends did"? OK, name names, what friends specifically are the ones that got me to switch, seeing as you "know" this? I can then show you their contact info showing they're not on iOS/don't have any mac device 👍

Last edited:
Back