Setup router/server to obtain DHCP address, but use a different Gateway IP

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
I've researched this a little; but in all honesty every time I start I get pulled off onto something else and then I'll forget about it for days. Am hoping someone here will go "AH!" and spare this poor bastard some frustration. ;) It seems like a straight problem... but don't they all?

Here's the scenario.

Work implemented an extremely annoying login requirement for non-domain systems to access the Internet. The powers that be didn't think this through very well since umpteen servers that control our tools are NOT on the domain. On a Windows box this is an annoyance; but on a Linux box (especially one w/o a GUI) it's a f'ing nightmare.

So...

IT finally relented and white listed one of our static IPs, which is now exempt from the login requirements. (Alas it's not exempt from all the BS filters; but it's a start) We told them right up front that we planned to install a router; so this isn't being naughty. The solution will only provide "bypass" access to hardwired systems in our lab.

The objective - use a server (SLES / OpenSUSE, Windows 2012 or even a dedicated router) to assigned DHCP addresses as assigned by the corporate server; but to use our whitelisted IP address as the gateway vs. the corporate gateway.

Ideally we'd like to put one of our servers to work (ideally the WS12 box); but if the best solution is hardware based we have pretty generous budgets.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks folks!

It sounds like you want to put a whole new router and new subnet on your network.

Depends on throughput required, but if you are using a lot of bandwidth you should probably go hardware on this.

You'll need to get assistance as well as information from your IT dept in order to accomplish your goal properly. As it is, you are skirting a bit close to one of this forums Rules, specifically asking about ways to circumvent network security. We can tell you what you'll need to ask your IT dept, but that's about it.

Well, except I'm not trying to pull a fast one at all. Know my post was a but verbose, but IT is aware of what we're doing. Problem with the bulk of our IT is that they're based in India and working with them is frustrating. It took three weeks just to get them to white list the IP, which I already knew was an option.

We use RDP, Radmin, PuTTY (SSH) and so forth all the time from computers all over the campus; hence needing a dynamic IP assigned by the usual Corp server. This bypass only makes it so we don't have to constantly enter or FQDN & password to access the Internet; all the other filters are still in place. I do have a small range of static IPs to work with, but having to manually shuffle that block around to 30+ systems would be a nightmare.

Back