Setup on windows server

ChRoNo16

[H]ard|Gawd
Heres what Im looking to do: My Windows 7 desktop hosts a Windows server 2008 x64 VM. I would like to somehow setup the VM so that I can install and deploy versions of windows installs over the network. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do here?

WSUS distributes Windows Update, it has nothing to do with distribution of OS images.

Go into Roles and Add Role - Windows Deployment Services. However this method is used primarily for PXE booting, which means you need to modify your router DHCP settings (if you can). I think WDS allows you to make a bootable disc with a GUI as well, but it's been a while since I messed with it.

Windows 7 AIK is free and also has the tools needed to create a Bootable Winpe disc from instal.wim (off your 7 or server install disc). After that you just need to create a Share and store images there. That involves using the cmd line to map drives and using imagex.exe utility that is included on the bootable disc.

This isn't something you set up easily btw :p

There are a ton of different ways to do it, but the "right way" (or the microsoft way) is to use System Center Configuration Manager. This will take care of your updates and Operating System deployments.

You could also look into using the MDT (microsoft deployment toolkit) to do your OS Deployments and WSUS for your updates.

SSCM cost a lot of money though.

I looked at MDT and it definitely seems like the easiest way to go if you're just doing a few computers at a time.

Last edited:
This is definitely a small setup. Mostly for local house pc's, and the few I repair for my small repair shop. I have pre-made imaged with drivers for different brands and models, just a pain trying to keep track of DVD's all the time.Ill have a look into MDT, thanks for the input everyone!

Back