Setup config for remote server

Hi All!

I have a general question about setting up a virtualized server in a data center and then having a client use it for daily operations.

Server: SBS 2011 (not using Exchange)

The remote server will be performing all functions for the client (DNCP, DNS, AD, etc) minus email.

At the client site, the local IP space is 192.168.1.0/24. The server was virtualized and has retained the same IP as when it was local (192.168.1.4). The data center where this server will be hosted is at 10.10.10.0/24. I will have an IPSec site-to-site tunnel between the two.

Question is, my management network that the hypervisors are on is 10.10.10.0/24. Am I supposed to change my (client) server's IP from what it was when it was physically at the client site (192.168.1.4) to the same IP space as my data center and then do some manual routing (give the server IP 10.10.10.20) between the networks/tunnel? Am I supposed to have a server be on the same network as my vm hosts (IP 10.10.10.X) and dish out DHCP in the range of 192.168.1.X for the "remote" clients? :confused:

The problem I run into if I try to maintain the same IP as when it was on the LAN at the client site is that the local IP is no longer on the same subnet as the gateway (of the data center). So I'm *assuming* I have to change the server IP to a 10.10.10.X address... opinions?

What is the right way to setup a hosted server; need to start on a good foundation early so I'm not learning from too many mistakes in the future.

Thanks for helping.

Last edited:
Back