"Setup cannot copy the file ntldr" when installing XP...help please

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by shaolin95, Oct 23, 2008.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 2[H]4U

HI!
    I am trying to reinstall XP in a HDD that has 3 partitions but it wont work, it keeps saying that setup cant find ntldr. I tried another copy of XP and it does the same thing so its not the disc and the drive works fine as well.
    If I skip the file then I get the same error but about ntdetect.com
    Any ideas of whats causing this?

2. Dangman

Dangman Ninja Editor SuperMod

Could be a RAM problem:
    Download Memtest+ v2.01, unzip it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Let Memtest+ run for at least three hours on each stick of RAM separately. Go for a full 24 hours if you want to be completely sure that the RAM is not a problem. If you start seeing errors, than your RAM is bad.

But to rule out the hard drive as well:
    Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

And finally, try a different CD drive. Could be that the CD drive is fubar'd or something.

3. mjz_5

mjz_5 2[H]4U

yup.. happens at work all the time... first thing is usually ram... second is the hard drive

4. shaolin95

shaolin95 2[H]4U

I should have been more specific and more detailed about it. I am a tech so the usual suspects were verified before posting.
    Just as I suspected, the installation was somehow getting confused with the 6 HDDs I got with several partitions.
    I removed all the drives but the one I wanted to install windows in and all is good in the world again. :D

5. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

Ugh. Too many drives and over-partitioning make my want to curl up in the fetal position.

6. shaolin95

shaolin95 2[H]4U

Not over partioning...just two partitions in two drives but as far as too many drives.....there is no such thing as having too many drives. ;)

7. Mackintire

Mackintire 2[H]4U

Agreed.

XOSL is what I use when I have more than Four operating systems on one machine.

I usually use Super Grub when its three or less and one of those three is a Linux install

2 or less I use the Windows bootloader. But I alway back up the bootloader before I start making changes.