Settlement In Sony Xperia Class Action Suit

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
A federal court in New York ruled against Sony in a case that involved the waterproof capabilities of 24 Xperia models. Owners of the devices named in the lawsuit are entitled to have their warranty coverage for water damage extended by one year for models still in production, and 6 months for devices that are out of warranty. Also if you had a claim for water damage rejected by Sony, you are entitled for reimbursement of 50% of the devices MSRP.

Sony is quite a large company to put it mildly, but offering 50% refund on phones like the Z3+ that launched at $710, this could turn out to be quite expensive for them. If you need to submit a claim, you can find the website for the lawsuit here. Thanks to forum member scojer for the story.

The case revolves around Sony's "misrepresentation" of the named devices as being waterproof even though the plaintiffs claim that the products were not designed for ordinary underwater use. The plaintiffs, on behalf of the Class, state that "Sony exploited certain international water resistance ratings in order to launch a deceptive marketing campaign promoting the Devices.

I bet if users ensured the ports were plugged they wouldn't have an issue.

I had a Z3 where the battery inflated and busted the frame of the phone open. I couldn't get any support on it, with them claiming it was from heat damage because "that only every happens if the phone gets too hot."

Yeah, never buying another Sony phone, that's for sure.

Reactions: sutyi
like this

Always someone ready to blame the victim. It's cool though. I'm sure you're way more on top of things than anyone involved with the legal proceedings.

Well yeah, if they put them in a waterproof container they wouldn't have issues either. The lawsuit is about Sony advertising a feature the phones did not have. They did not stipulate having to plug ports or putting the device in a ziplock.

Is there a field where Sony isn't failing miserably, other than consoles?

Their TV's and headphone's are still pretty tops. I don't know how popular each of those two categories actually are sales wise but they certainly have decent tech in them.

Well yeah, if they put them in a waterproof container they wouldn't have issues either. The lawsuit is about Sony advertising a feature the phones did not have. They did not stipulate having to plug ports or putting the device in a ziplock.

Actually, Sony does. The ports have a plug cover. If those aren't sealed, water will get in. They have labels on the phone when you buy it. It's in the manual.

My guess is, most of those ppl still won't get any warranty money, as they improperly used the device. It's meant to be in fresh water only. No chlorinated water and no salt water. Unless the court orders them to honor all warranty claims for any kind of water damage.

Well my Xperia Z2, Z5, and X seem to be A-okay. Used in fresh water all the time. Never in chlorinated or salt water.

Always someone ready to blame the victim. It's cool though. I'm sure you're way more on top of things than anyone involved with the legal proceedings.

I do work in a call center... For a major cell phone company.

I had a Z3 where the battery inflated and busted the frame of the phone open. I couldn't get any support on it, with them claiming it was from heat damage because "that only every happens if the phone gets too hot."

That is absolutely crap service from them. Really, really terrible. Which stupid idiot moron made that statement?

If a user did something that is extremely obviously wrong with a scissors or knife or cup of hot coffee, is the user at fault or the manufacturer? I guess this is why companies put "CAUTION: HOT" on cups of hot coffee. *smh*

Actually, Sony does. The ports have a plug cover. If those aren't sealed, water will get in. They have labels on the phone when you buy it. It's in the manual.
...It's meant to be in fresh water only. No chlorinated water and no salt water....Used in fresh water all the time. Never in chlorinated or salt water.
I used my Z3 in the sea about a month or two after I got it (December 2015.) I rinsed it off immediately afterwards with tap water and it's still going strong today still.

Full disclosure from my side for both dgingeri and brentsg: I've been a very happy Sony phone customer since '98 (Ericsson -> Sony Ericsson -> Sony.)

If the ports are used, the rubber seals are liable to wear down and leak. Mine was plugged properly, only put in fresh water, and water still got in, ruining the phone. I attempted to repair it by getting a new screen, but it appears the GPU is fried.

If the ports are used, the rubber seals are liable to wear down and leak. Mine was plugged properly, only put in fresh water, and water still got in, ruining the phone
That really sucks dude.

I used my Z3 in the sea about a month or two after I got it (December 2015.) I rinsed it off immediately afterwards with tap water and it's still going strong today still.

Full disclosure from my side for both dgingeri and brentsg: I've been a very happy Sony phone customer since '98 (Ericsson -> Sony Ericsson -> Sony.)

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S, then a Dell Streak 5, then LG G2X, then a Sharp something android flip phone, then a Sony Xperia Z2. Out of those all, I really like the Z2, so I just stuck it out with Sony. Got the Xperia X, which ended up being not water resistant and slower than my Z2. So continued using the Z2, until I bought a Z5. My only annoyance with the Z5, is they got rid of the magnetic charging port thing. I wish they'd bring it back.

They're leading in mirror-less cameras, quite comfortably I might add. The a7/9 series are impressive!

I think most, if not all, the flagship phones out there use Sony cameras.

Had Z

Similar story here. I had the Z1 Compact. Battery declined really fast and got so fat in started to separate the back that is otherwise glued on. Thankfully local law here has built-in non user replaceable batteries under the same warranty as the phone so they had to fix it. The decorative ring around the power button went MIA after some 6 months or so. Was pretty disappointing venture to be honest.

Now I'm on a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (was half the price of the Sony when I purchased it). Although it ain't one of the wonders of the world, but for the money I'm pretty satisfied. Everything works on it, there are on misterious slowdowns and even tho it has an 8-core MTK chipset under the hood I still have about 40% charge left when I get home.

Waiting for a Redmi Note 4 sell out when the Note 5 hits the shelves. :)

Back