Setting up T1 internet connection remotely *argh*

MrSneis

2[H]4U
My stepdad called me up the other day with an issue that we couldn't work out involving his new netgear wgr-614 router and laptop, I of course live nowhere near him so helping him out was kinda tough considering he has pretty limited tech skillz.

He lives in an apartment complex hooked up with T1 via a company called Ignition (not spelled that way IIRC) so there's no modem on his end. Out of the box his router's basic install CD fubared everything so I told him to forget the CD completely and to do it manually.

The plan was to obtain his IP address to setup for static use; using cmd > ipconfig; even after rebooting both the computer and the router this approach did not seem to work. DHCP also did not work right off the bat.

Hooking up his old laptop directly into the jack works, however using the different laptop + dhcp /release + renew, followed by a PC reset does not even work. I didn't even want to attempt static setup at this point via direct connection with the new PC.

My guess is maybe I'm either missing something or my step-dad may have misunderstood my directions at some point; his ISP as well as Netgear did him no good even after I told him NOT to call them :)

Any thoughts? TIA!

i think what he means is the apt complex has a t1......and his dad has a router in his apt....what i would do is hook up straight to the cat cable....and make sure its working on the pc first...is there anyway to find out your old ip? maybe get the old info and make it static with the new router.

Back