Setting up PS4 for a rental property

quiktake

Gawd
I bought a PS4 for a vacation rental property. (High end, so amenities are expected.) We have a problem of games being stolen, so I suggested a PS4 with a PSN plus account for free games.

I plan to setup a master account under my name with the playstation network Plus account, and then set up a guest account that can access those games but nothing else.

My understanding is that a guest account wipes out any save game progress. So I was thinking I could create a sub-account for renters, but I noticed that requires a email address and password to log-in.

I need some help figuring out the best way to "lock things down" but not give renters access to the games on the system. I assume this would be the same set of settings for anyone who has a lot of guests coming over, but wants to block them from purchasing or editing any accounts.

Advice?

-Thanks

On PS3 once you download a game it's there and you don't need to log in to PSN in order to play it. Could you just disable auto-login and "remember my password"?

Edit: Not sure if that also applies to ps+ games.

If I disable auto login and remember my password, will a renter be required to enter a password every time they play a game?

I assume that a guest account would not need a password but, any other type of account would need a password.

Is there a way to create an quest account that wouldn't need a password, but would remember game progress?

Thanks.

I'd say require a deposit and if any games are missing boom, no deposit returned.

I agree. Just put it in the agreement that missing or damaged games will be deducted from the deposit. That is what the deposit is for...

I like the deposit idea.
$100 and no PSN. That way they can use their own account, if they got one and they can wipe it when they leave. Minimal work for you.

The problem is the deposit is managed by a rental company. So we don't always know which renter took what as we don't always do the cleaning ourselves. plus renters don't like being accused of left after paying $1500 a week for rent.

So a no disc policy is far less trouble.

Interesting you're worried about people stealing the games but not the console...

The problem is the deposit is managed by a rental company. So we don't always know which renter took what as we don't always do the cleaning ourselves. plus renters don't like being accused of left after paying $1500 a week for rent.

Sounds like the rental company needs to do a better job. Maybe barcode the theftables (discs not covers). The rental company would be expected to scan items on a list.

Usually its kids. Usually we just write the name of the property on the disc. But that is not enough for games. I've had 3 wiimotes stolen in the last 2 years.

have all the games and peripherals in lock-up. setup a checkout system.

Print a list of all available games and peripherals for each room with a redundant disclaimer at the top and bottom of the page stating that any games or hardware not returned by checkout time, will be charged/come from any deposit that might exist. Then tenants can check them out at the front desk or via room service. Same with any peripherals. Keep a log.

You're missing the point. Put a card/sticker/laminate poster/whatever by the television/PS4 saying you will forfeit your whole deposit if any games/peripherals are missing. That's the only deterrent you are going to need. I'm pretty certain parents will ensure their kids see that warning. And if a game or two a year (I don't see many being stolen) ends up missing big deal really. Like someone else said, you're worried about games but not the PS4 itself? lol

Interesting you're worried about people stealing the games but not the console...

I wouldn't do it... it's that simple

I'll have to agree here.

Regardless if this is a high-end vacation rental property, and having rented a house and a few rooms in the past, theft is still a major issue amongst tenants. That and property damage.

It doesn't matter what income level the tenant is, any one person is susceptible to stealing something if they know it's valuable and worth something.

If you still intend to offer a Playstation 4 or even an Xbox ONE for the tenants, why not lock it down like they do at Gamestop?

Or better yet, have it inside a wall that only has the power and eject buttons, and disc slot only immediately accessible.

Also, ask tenants to bring their own games if they want to use the Playstation 4 in the rental property. If you offer any games yourself, have it in writing in the rental agreement that any theft or damage of property be the sole responsibility of the tenant to replace it. Include in the rental agreement a list of the property and items that will be left at the property. These items will include furniture, appliances, the Playstation 4, PS4 games, controller, television set, and anything else of value. Also, if possible, see if you can have insurance that covers damaged and lost property, or even renter's insurance.

Your making this way harder then it needs to be. Make a account on PS+ buy the games digitally. Log out of the system and don't check auto sign in so they can't access any funds. Make this the primary system and anyone on that system can play the games. Set up a user 2 account and they can log in with that and play the games. Its pretty simple, no one can steal games

I'll have to agree here.

Regardless if this is a high-end vacation rental property, and having rented a house and a few rooms in the past, theft is still a major issue amongst tenants. That and property damage.

It doesn't matter what income level the tenant is, any one person is susceptible to stealing something if they know it's valuable and worth something.

If you still intend to offer a Playstation 4 or even an Xbox ONE for the tenants, why not lock it down like they do at Gamestop?

Or better yet, have it inside a wall that only has the power and eject buttons, and disc slot only immediately accessible.

Also, ask tenants to bring their own games if they want to use the Playstation 4 in the rental property. If you offer any games yourself, have it in writing in the rental agreement that any theft or damage of property be the sole responsibility of the tenant to replace it. Include in the rental agreement a list of the property and items that will be left at the property. These items will include furniture, appliances, the Playstation 4, PS4 games, controller, television set, and anything else of value. Also, if possible, see if you can have insurance that covers damaged and lost property, or even renter's insurance.

what he said

lol, we rented a really bad ass house just outside of disney world this past summer. It had a game room with a nice lcd tv, fancy gaming chairs, and a wii. no games or wiimotes. I can see your frustration.

does your renter's insurance cover loss/theft of small value items like video games and controllers?

setup the console(s) in a media cabinet with shelves for the games and a nice lock (maybe electronic so it's easy to keep changing?)

charge a fee for the games. the fee should ideally cover the cost of additional monthly premium for coverage of said games/console.

for instance, if your insurance charges $50/month for the extra coverage, you should include a $15 extra for using the console. if you rent to 4 different renters over the course of a month, they all use the console and pay for it's coverage and only have an added $15/week each.

You don't need a deposit. If they steal anything, file a lawsuit if they don't return the money in small claims court. Yes it's a hassle but you need to punish them for theft.

Either that or make the other company manage their deposits better.

Back