Setting Up Password For Internet

PedroDaGr8

Limp Gawd
I am in charge of taking care of the network at my fathers dental office. The problem is that the dental assistants and hygenists keep getting on the internet when they are not supposed to. The receptionist has to have internet to check on the insurance and related stuff like that. The problem is, when I blocked all of the other computers they just used hers, we would like to not lose any of our staff (they are all EXCELENT with the patients which is hard to find anymore) so our only option is to somehow restrict the internet acess during non-lunch hours on selected computers via a password. I wanted to know if anyone knows of say like a firewall that I can set up etc (like smoothwall) such that certain computers would require a password to acess the internet (such as the receptionist and operatory computers) while others could be completely blocked, and others yet would have no password at all. If anyone knows of such a program or firewall setup. THe thing is, that it has to be selective to the internet, otherwise, network traffic for digital x-ray and our scheduling/management software will be impacted. If you need more information please let me know. Thanks, for the help.

Do a search on Captive portal. Basicaly before any web surfing can be done it will take you to a logon page.

If they realy are that good and the work is getting done then who cares?

They get their work done WITH the patient, the problems is the other work that they are supposed to do outside of taking care of the patient is lacking at times. It's hard to explain, because around here it is REALLY hard to find good assistants and hygenists that get along with the patients. THanks for the recommendation. Let me see if it fits what i am looking for.

I installed 602 Lansuite in a school web design lab for just this. Its a proxy server just put in the servers address in internet explorer and once you lock down the computers via gpedit.msc you should be good to go. 602 lansuite can be somewhat of a pain to setup but it will let you block sites, block all but some sites, password protect the internet, and i think only use it durning time frames. Might be something to look in to.

Back