Setting up new home lan

SILENCER00

Gawd
I got an email today from a newly hired coworker who has just built a new home and was looking to hire someone to help setup their home network. She mentioned that the house was already wired and that they had a patch panel in the basement.

Basically ive never really setup anything like this (as far as patch panels go), but I'm guessing it wouldnt be a big deal to do - I'm just looking for a little insight into what this would involve.

Let me know if I have this right:

Each ethernet port is wired to this patch panel in the basement, so basically to get them up and running, they would need a switch or router of some sort that would have enough ports for each computer they would want on the network in the house.
So if they wanted 5 computers setup, they would need at least a 5 port router. Plug in the cable modem, and then run some patch cables from the correct ports in the basement patch panel to the ports of the router - simple as that?

-sil

lol thanks :) ok so its really nothing complicated - I just havent gotten a chance to mess around with patch panels at all.

Back