setting up network share

moose517

Gawd
I'm not sure if this is the place where this belongs so mods move if you want. I have WHS running on a computer in the basement and it has the folder for each user in our house. What i was wanting to know is if i were to map each users WHS user folder to all the computers, can you change where the users folder is? Like instead of the user folder being at C:\users\moose can it be set to automatically put all user files at K:\moose instead so that no matter what computer i log into at home my itunes library for instance will auto pop up so that i don't have 2 copies of my library and such around the house.

Secondly would this be to slow for save files for games? this is the main reason i am wanting to do this so that no matter what PC i'm logged into i can play a game where i left off instead of having to copy the save file first.

Right now all PC's and such connect to one of two networks switches and the server is off the "main" switch, would there be a network bottleneck in doing so. I'm considering dropping the Dlink DGS-2205 and DGS-2208 i have for an HP 1800-24g and getting a second NIC for the server if i have to. Hopefully you guys can answer this one for me, you guys are the best around.

I have another question as well. I bought a intel NIC for my desktop PC because the realtek one is just to crappy on large file transfers, but this intel nic seems worse than the onboard, its the pro 1000 GT, anything i might be missing, installed newest drivers from intel as well.

When you create the network drive on each computer you are simply creating a shortcut to the physical location on the WHS server. For ease of use you should create each users shortcut with the same letters on each system (ie, moose is always K:, elk is always L:, etc). Because you are only creating shortcuts to the same location it doesn't matter what computer you are on, your files will always be the same physical files.

Can't help you with the NIC issue bro...it may just be a crappy NIC.

Edit: In my experience the NIC is rarely the issue unless you are using a fast RAID array. The NIC usually isn't the bottleneck.

you could, if you really wanted, create a VBscript and host it on the server, to map each user to their own share on the server, and have each computer run the script at user logon.

or, of course, just map each user to their folder on each computer manually.

Back