Setting up my Home Theatre with a 360 & PS3

Dark-Colonel

Limp Gawd
I have looked around but I wasn't able to find someone with my problem and tech so I thought I'd start a thread.

I have a Phillips HTS3400 5.1. The back looks like this:

hts3400.jpg

My TV is a Samsung 32" LN-T3253. The back looks like this:

samsungy.jpg

Basically, what I'm trying to do is have my PS3 (HDMI) and my 360 (Component) hooked up to my receiver so that I am able to use them in 5.1 surround (instead of my TV speakers). I was able to use my 360 through the HT but now that I bought a PS3, I'd also like to use it through my HT (if possible).

If there is someone who can show me how to do it, I'd really appreciate.

Doesn't look like your HT has any digital inputs so you're not going to get real 5.1 surround from either system. You can connect both systems to your TV and then use the audio out on your TV to connect to the HT. The HT will probably do 5.1 expansion (expanding the 2 channels to 5), but it doesn't look like you can get true digital audio.

Doesn't look like your HT has any digital inputs so you're not going to get real 5.1 surround from either system. You can connect both systems to your TV and then use the audio out on your TV to connect to the HT. The HT will probably do 5.1 expansion (expanding the 2 channels to 5), but it doesn't look like you can get true digital audio.

I'll give that a try, but the thing is; I've been getting 5.1 with my 360 for the longest time. When hooked up, I set it to AUX and then 5.1, the sound coming out of my speakers is true 5.1 as I am able to hear "rear" only audio through my rear speakers (I.E. Someone approaching me from behind in Halo 3).

But I guess it's been doing audio expansion for the entire time which sounded just fine to me.

Thanks for your suggestion - Your solution has worked perfectly, much appreciated :D

Last edited:
Back