Setting up laptop for both domain and workgroup

Can you setup a laptop to be on a domain for work then log in with a different profile and have it automatically set for a home workgroup at home ? Then vice versa go back to work and click on profile for domain?

Thanks.

No. Why?

Options:

Use the same domain account from home & work. When not connected to the work network it will authenticate you using cached credentials.

When at work, log into the domain. When at home, log into the laptop as local user.

Netswitcher and other network profile software cannot get you around that problem. Which isn't a problem frankly. If your company doesn't want to give you a local account, or if they have for some reason disabled profile caching then that is their perogative. Their hardware right?

I guess my question would be why do you want to unjoin the domain while at home. It doesn't hamper network connectivity. Might make it a bit more intimidating for the novice I guess but you can still get to any of your shares and providing your IT staff hasn't configured your local policy (GPO or whatever) then you can get an IP from your broadband modem, or NAT router.

Maybe there is some specific reason you'd rather be in a workgroup at home. Getting to local shares or IP connetivity are problem not problems though.

So, elaborate on what your trying to do. If it is circumventing your business IT policies then hopefully your in the wrong forum.

You can...however, to keep it simple, just leave it for "Domain Logon"

NT caches the SID locally, so if you're "not connected" to the domain, you can still log in and your profile is fine. My Stinkpad here..I have it set for my domain at the office, yet I take it home with me (a different domain at home, which it does not log into, but I can still get access to the share through the usual NT challenge. Plus all my usual onsites here 'n there....still runs fine.

Only thing you'd probably want to double check...is that your domain account is a member of the local admin group..so you can run/install/change stuff when away.

Whoops..got distracted from a phone call, were no replies...10 minutes later hit reply and...

Back