Setting up another router in a routered-network.

sdk

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a WRT54GL as my main router being fed from my modem. From the WRT it has 4 cables comming from it.
- My Computer (top floor)
- Fathers Dell (top floor)
- Fathers Notebook (top floor)
- Server (basement)

Now with the PS3 and Wii coming out I would like to be able to run a wired connection down into my basement so I can have ethernet cables going to my game table letting my get online. Now the cable going from my router through my vents and floor heading to my basement s not long enough to properly connect it into any systems.

What I would like to do is to use a BEFSR41 that was my old router (4 port wired router) plug the Ethernet cable going downstairs that runs into my basement server into my router. Then have a cable going from there to my basement server and two going over to my game table.

So once again it would be ----

Modem -> WRT54GL -> 3 Computers (Mine, Notebook, Dell) -> BEFSR41 -> Basement Server and Two to Game Table.

Now I have set my network up to assign IPs via MAC addresses, but I am wondering when I do this what I will have to do inorder to get it to bypass the router or control the IP's or what not.

Hope this all made sense and I look foward to getting some responses.

Thanks.

Hmm, well I do know that it will work, but I'm not sure about the second half with the MAC addresses and whatnot. I have that same wired router, it can act as a switch, which I believe is what it will be used as in this configuration.

Someone else will chime in with details

So should I assign IP's using windows and scrap the MAC via the Linksys setup page?

sdk said:
So should I assign IP's using windows and scrap the MAC via the Linksys setup page?

Well mine assigns IP's automatically. I'm not too worried about MACs since it's wired and all. However, I would lock down your wireless one to the MACs you specify.

I've never had to deal with assigning IPs with my router, all automatically. I have specified the number of IP's it gives out though, cause my asshole roommates have friends that will use my setup sometimes and DL illegal shit though... Needless to say that stopped in a hurry

disable DHCP in the downstairs router and it will simply become a switch..
the cable coming from the upstairs router goes into the port #1.. and the other devices go into the other ports..

the upstairs router will take care of all the DHCP just like it does now..

I had some issues with this router. It kept dropping my wired connection when it was set on DHCP to get auto, so I changed it around to static, put v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c and its running perfectly smooth.

+ having it on a static IP is needed for my port fowarding done for azureus and other programs ect ect.

i still don't understand why you can't just disable dhcp in the one downstairs.. it will turn it into a simple network switch.. and then the one upstairs handles all of th port forwarding, tcp/ip, etc..

have you tried that yet?

I think scottatwittenberg hit it dead on.

I have extended my current router with another switch plus another router (the second router has a printserver for all the computers on the network). You have to link the routers and switches together via the first port or a dedicated uplink port if I am not mistaken.

I also think I made a crossover cable for either the switch or router to link it properly. You would have to look which you need in your documentation.

Of course I set up my convoluted network some time ago and may very well just be talking through my posterior.

Problem solved after setting my BEFSR to disabled DHCP.

Also I had some issues getting it running after it was disabled. The uplink port shares port #1 on the router so I had to put my 360 and Server into 3 and 4 (or 2) and now everything is running fine.

Thanks to all that helped.

Back