Setting up a used Iphone

jhodach

Limp Gawd
I currently have a phone from Att that I use but have been wanting to buy an Iphone before my contract is up. I plan on getting one off these forums hopefully... My question is, how will I set it up? I've heard conflicting reports on this. So like I said, I have a Samsung eternity phone that I use with ATT. I'd be buying a used Iphone. How do I get it setup correctly for use with ATT? Not sure what other info is needed, but please ask if you need something. I'm really puzzled as to how this is going to work. Thanks a lot.

If you're on ATT, it's not hard at all. Inset sim in iPhone and connect it to your pc/mac, install latest version of itunes. Let it find the iphone then update the firmware on the phone if needed. It's not dificult at all. You pretty much hit next 5 or 6 times and tada, you have a new iPhone :)

now if you want to jailbreak/unlock, then it's a little more tricky, but not really.

But do I insert the sim card that I am using on my current Samsung Eternity or get a new one? I've heard that you have to go to the att store and have em give you a new one so that you can set it up. If that is true, how much does that normally cost. Yeah, not planning on jb/unlocking at all.

If you're on ATT, it's not hard at all. Inset sim in iPhone and connect it to your pc/mac, install latest version of itunes. Let it find the iphone then update the firmware on the phone if needed. It's not dificult at all. You pretty much hit next 5 or 6 times and tada, you have a new iPhone :)

now if you want to jailbreak/unlock, then it's a little more tricky, but not really.

this is partially right, if you have a 3G/3Gs, this can be done like this.....however if you get a 2G(the EDGE one), you need to jailbreak and unlock the phone. This is because the origional iPhone(2G), was locked to the initial SIM card.......it isnt hard to do a jail break , download Black Rain, follow the steps......then find a program in Cydia(a program that is installed with black rain) called BootNeuter, and i cant remember the exact settings, but you tell it to do a few things(i have to find the guide) and it unlocks it to work with any sim on any carrier.....

the current SIM you have will be all you need to run an iPhone...

do note that there are people who say AT&T charged them for the data plan on their iPhone(dont know if you want it or not) when they changed to it....I personally have not had this issue(my 2G/Data plan is disabled on the phone).......feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

In the top of the iPhone there is a small pinhole. Insert a paperclip or thumbtack into this hole and the sim tray pops out. Insert your current sim card and tada iPhone is now yours. Going to AT&T for a new sim usually runs around $25 as they charge you a "New activation fee" even though all they do is program in your wireless number. In fact you can buy blank sim cards and a card reader off ebay for less and do this yourself. Back in the days that I used to mod motoroal Vxxx series phones I had about 3-4 spare sims lying around to test phones out.

this is partially right, if you have a 3G/3Gs, this can be done like this.....however if you get a 2G(the EDGE one), you need to jailbreak and unlock the phone. This is because the origional iPhone(2G), was locked to the initial SIM card.......it isnt hard to do a jail break , download Black Rain, follow the steps......then find a program in Cydia(a program that is installed with black rain) called BootNeuter, and i cant remember the exact settings, but you tell it to do a few things(i have to find the guide) and it unlocks it to work with any sim on any carrier.....

the current SIM you have will be all you need to run an iPhone...

do note that there are people who say AT&T charged them for the data plan on their iPhone(dont know if you want it or not) when they changed to it....I personally have not had this issue(my 2G/Data plan is disabled on the phone).......feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Um no idea what your talking about. When I bought my original 2G iPhone I just swaped the sim out of my current phone and into the new phone then activated through iTunes. When I had to get it replaced at the apple store they just popped the sim out of the broken phone and into the new one, reactivated and your good to go. The iPhone never had any type of hardware enforcement to one specific sim card.

Well I'll be getting a 3g one so hopefully that won't be a problem. Don't really wanna go through a whole bunch of steps to make it work. Thanks for all the info guys. Really helpful. Once I get my phone I'll try and post back here so I can tell you all if it did work or not. Thanks again.

So is this normal then that after setting it up, I didn't have to sign up for their data plan? I got the phone yesterday and inserted my old phone's sim. Phone said activated and set up went just fine on Itunes. But I never switched my phone/data plan. I'm still using a 29.99 plan plus 5 bucks for messaging. I have gone on the internet and downloaded apps with no problem at all. Is this normal though? I dont' wanna get screwed here cause it seems like I'm cheating the system. Any help out there?

If you dont have the data plan and you are surfing the net on the edge network than you are being charged per kb usage. If you are going to be surfing the web on your phone get the data plan because the data plans price is nothing in comparison to what per kb usage will add up to be

The iPhone never had any type of hardware enforcement to one specific sim card.

it wasn't to a specific sim, it was to a specific service level sim (ie the sim for the iPhone plan.)

They were different. It's not really an issue now though.

Looks like I was doing all my surfing on my own Wifi at my house. Once I left the house, I was unable to do anything online. Kept saying, "no data plan with this carrier". So now I have to decide if it's worth paying my current plan 29.99 and 5 dollar texts, and free wifi at my house (along with free text's here with an app) or pay 29.99 + 5+ 30 dollar data plan and have internet/date everywhere... not sure what I should do yet...

Back