Setting up a new home network ( even after reading the faq)

Suki243

Gawd
This is the story, i recently purchased an external hdd, and i want it to be able to connect to it all around this house through the network, it worked for a while and then i was forced to reformat and im trying to set it up again but it doesn't seem to recognize my laptop or my brother's desktop, yet it recongnizes my mom's desktop. I've tried numerously to redo the network wizard but still no luck, my network is connected through the 2wire home portal 1000s, it uses HPNA technology, and it is cascaded with a linksys wrt54gs. also, what is the advantages of bridging your connections?

What do you mean by "recognize"? Sounds like a permissions problem on the HD as a share.

Bridging isnt really an advantage... Its more of a specific solution for a specific need.

what is this device you speak of?

is it an enclosure with a nic?

is it hooked up via usb to a file server of some sort?

are you moving it around the house and plugging it in to the workstation's local usb port?

if it's the first, it isn't recognizing anything. your workstations need to recognize it. can you ping the network address from the troubled workstations?

By recognize i mean that when i go into view workgroup computers in Network Tasks it only says my own and my mom's but not my brothers or the laptop and both are turned on and connected to the internet. No, all the desktops are in place, but the laptop is connected via wireless router (linksys wrt54gs). Which is inturn connected to the router that uses HPNA technology. The HPNA does use a phone jack's connection that in turns connects to this device that has a usb ending, which then connects to the comp via usb, (this type of connection is used by the two computers that are recognized, mine and my mom's). The other two are being connected with the other router wrt54gs

Could the problem be that the two computers that reasony why the two computers are not being shown is because they are connected directly through the second router?

Back