Setting up a "community" computer, have some questions

Harb

Limp Gawd
So I'm moving into a house with some friends in a week (finally no more dorms...). I'm building a new rig this weekend, and I plan to take my current box and put it in the living room connected to our 42" HDTV and let everyone use it as a "community computer". The following will be filled with noobish questions and general networking ignorance; I apologize, I've never had to network more than 2 computers with no security concerns or special requirements. Bear with me.

The computer will be almost entirely for watching movies and listening to music, as well as surfing the web. I basically want people to be able to access files on their own systems, either through the basic Shared Documents folder (and whatever the equivalent is for Mac users) or through another folder/drive they specify on their main system. I also want the computer to be pretty idiot-proof so that people can't screw it up.

I want to be able to have total control over the computer via the network if possible; I.E. be able to work on it from my main system. Is this even possible? I don't want to have to be running upstairs/downstairs constantly :p

The system will be using XP Pro SP2 (probably not SP3). General specs are: 2.0ghz AMD 3800+ dual core, 1.5 gigs ram, ATI Radeon x1800xt, onboard sound, onboard gigabit lan. The computers connecting to it will be using Windows XP, Vista Home Ultimate 64, OS-X, and some 360's, a PS3, and a Wii. I just ordered a D-Link DIR-655 router to replace the POS bargain barrel Netgear router* that is currently in the house.

Will Windows allow me to do most of this? I figure I could just use the basic "Share this folder" options on the stuff I want people to be able to access, and created a "Limited" user account for everyone to use. Is there a better/safer way to do this? I figure I'll use either Norton or the free version of AVG for antivirus, whichever is better. It would be nice if I could get some sort of program sort of like Apple's Time Machine that would let me set a restore point right after I get the computer set up with a fresh Windows install/antivirus/all the other goodies put on it, so when someone does invariably screw stuff up, I can just reload the backup and be fine again. What software would be best for this?

Anyway, that's my general goal and ideas. Any and all input would be helpful. I checked the stickies, but didn't find a whole lot about this specific topic.

*There is currently a cheapo Netgear router being used. It craps out several times a day and needs reset constantly. It's probably no surprise though; the network does have fairly heavy demands. There are a total of 8 people regularly connecting via computers, and some internet-using game consoles. This year we will have 8 people with computers plus the community PC (2 or 3 of which will be using wired lan, the rest wireless), at least 3 360's, a PS3, and a Wii. Here's hoping the DIR-655 will be able to handle all this crap. Here's also hoping I can use the routers nifty traffic management features to throttle various traffic types for various users to keep everything running smoothly :|

Okay best bet is to have everyone in the house share a folder on their own machines and then map said folder on the "community computer" as a drive. They hop on, click the drive theres their shared files. You can do this for both the Mac and Windows users.

Another thing to look into is getting everything setup the way it's supposed to be, and use a program such as Acronis True Image, the image the HDD and keep that stored away. For anti-virus download Avira's Antivir.

Depending on what you're operating system is going to be on your new machine, you could just RDP into the "community computer" and do everything as needed from there. If you don't like that idea there is always LogMeIn Free.

Also for that much traffic you might want to look into getting an older PC, something in the PIII area and loading it with any of the *nix router/firewall distros. Much more robust and can support a lot more concurrent connections. (I'm assuming a younger crowd thats torrenting the shit out of some things, plus heavy gaming)

Depending on what you're operating system is going to be on your new machine, you could just RDP into the "community computer" and do everything as needed from there. If you don't like that idea there is always LogMeIn Free.

Also for that much traffic you might want to look into getting an older PC, something in the PIII area and loading it with any of the *nix router/firewall distros. Much more robust and can support a lot more concurrent connections. (I'm assuming a younger crowd thats torrenting the shit out of some things, plus heavy gaming)

My new system will be the one running Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

Well, hopefully the traffic won't be that bad. As far as I know, only 2 of the 8 people are active torrent users; the rest are nearly completely computer illiterate. Thus, torrent traffic will likely be kept low. Gaming will also take place primarily on 2 of the 3 360's, and possibly the PS3 and my PC. The vast majority of internet use will be general internet browsing. Worst case scenario; this router doesn't work out and I sell it, and do what you said with the router/firewall software. It'd be pretty cool if I could somehow use the community PC as the router...

My new system will be the one running Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

Well, hopefully the traffic won't be that bad. As far as I know, only 2 of the 8 people are active torrent users; the rest are nearly completely computer illiterate. Thus, torrent traffic will likely be kept low. Gaming will also take place primarily on 2 of the 3 360's, and possibly the PS3 and my PC. The vast majority of internet use will be general internet browsing. Worst case scenario; this router doesn't work out and I sell it, and do what you said with the router/firewall software. It'd be pretty cool if I could somehow use the community PC as the router...

Since it's going to be home premium you're not going to be able to open RDP connections so LogMeIn free is going to be the way to go.

It doesn't sound like you'll have to many issues with traffic on your network then. The QoS of the DIR-655 is rather nice and should help you put that torrenting on the bottom of the barrel.

Back