Setting GTX 680 to Best performance reduces card's life?

RipFlex

Weaksauce
I have a couple of games that are demanding and to get best FPS performance I have their profile set to Best Maximum performance in Power management mode. From I understand this boosts the card at it's maximum performance without overheating the card but at the expense of power? Often I hear the card's fan going on high for a duration. Just worried would this shorten the life of the card or Nvidia drivers/hardware smart not to do that?

I'm just concerned. Normally I have it set to Adaptive where it's quiet.

It's not going to make any noticeable difference to the card life. But even on adaptive it should be clocking the card up during demanding situations.

It will shorten the life, but nothing that you should notice. You are talking going from a 10 year life to a 9.5 year lifespan. You are going to switch out this card for a new one, years before the lifespan becomes an issue

1. Setting a GTX-680 to best performance and or even a light overclock will not kill it's expected life by enough to matter. I have a GTX-260 that I overclocked to hell and back and it's run good for 5 years now! The GTX-680 has not been out long enough to see what the results of setting it to "Best Quality or Best Perforce" or what ever you want to set it to to determine what the affects on life span will be. So any information about that is pure conjecture

2. Your CPU is very very much limiting your GPU! 1, there is a good chance that your mobo is PCIe 1.1 or 1.0 at best! Unlike games 2-3 years ago that was all completely GPU bound, newer games are starting to really stress both the CPU and GPU. I can notice a HUGE difference in my system between the 5.0 GHz I run normal and the 3.6 GHz stock speeds.

Back