Setting 1 Gigabit port to Internet, and 1 to network?

Blazestorm

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm curious if this would be possible

Both computers have Dual-gigabit connections... Could I connect cat6 cables from each computer into the gigabit switch, than a cat6 crossover to each computer...

Right now if I'm downloading and maxing out the connection, the connection between computers suffers... I have them both plugged into a 10/100 router for internet/networking.

Next week they'll be plugged into a gigabit switch which will go to the 10/100 router... do you think I'll suffer the same issue or?

You don't need crossover cables with giga NICs or switches....they already do auto sensing for direction. Crossover cables have become pretty much extinct....gone the way of the ISA card and floppy drive.

Yes you can multi-home Windows machines. However...not enough details of what the PCs are actually doing...when they appear to have this connection suffer. What makes you think so?

I have 1 "server" (Basically just an AM2 machine w/ 6 HDDs)

That has certain folders shared over the network, HD movies, music, HD footage (I film stuff)

When I am downloading with torrents, which essentially max out your internet bandwidth if you have enough going, trying to watch HD movies off the server, they start stuttering.. If I stop the torrents, they play-back fine

I think it might change when I make the switch to gigabit next week (7 cat 6 cables and gigabit switch should be arriving from newegg) hopefully the added bandwidth should help fix that problem.

I haven't heard about cross-overs for a while, but according to my "network friend" that's what you use to directly communicate with 2 PC's...

I'll wait till I get the new stuff before I start asking more questions... I think it's just 100mbps isn't enough...

it may not be a network issue, but a system resource issue, try setting the proccess priority of your torrent downloader to "low"

Thats some internet connection you have, if its maxing out 100mbit ethernet.

I would see how it goes with just a gigabit switch. Using both network ports will generally cause more trouble than its worth.

You'll run into hard drive transfer rate limitations and other system limitations if you "max out" gigabit anyway.

Haha I see your point, the internet isn't anywhere near maxing out the 100mbps, but the streaming HD video might be cutting it close... combined w/ downloading, I think it's causing issues.

That and it could be the mediocre router, because it will drop the connection for the server, but not the other computer... at random...

It's weird, I'll try it figure it out more, then come back if I have any problems...

And I'm on Raid-0 Raptors, so hopefully I don't run into as many limitations, although the server has slower non-raided SATA/IDE drives...

Well don't forget a workstation OS is not efficient at many concurrent connections. And that P2P software stuff sucks up most of the network resources...not to mention the bad stuff that comes along with it, adware, spyware, tainted downloads and install a "surprise" in your system, etc. But anyways....P2P software will suck the life out of routers and computers. So to expect top network performance from a desktop OS...while it's P2P'ing at the same time...is unrealistic. Nothing to do with bandwidth, 100 megs, gigabit, etc....resources are resources, TCP sessions are TCP sessions.

Slight update, watching a 4,000kbps 1280 x 720 video and it's not stuttering, when I try a 1920 x 1080 video @ 8,000-10,000kbps it stutters...

Torrents at max speed... no stuttering, I'll try another file in a bit...

What kind of router? If its SOHO, that could be your problem. You said your server has two gigabit NICs, right? You could setup IPCop in a virtual machine on your server (just give it two virtual nic's each bridged to one of the physical nics), have that be your router, and then if you're just trying to network the two computers together, plug the other two computers into each other, and have a gigabit connection between them with no additional point of failure in the form of a switch.

yes, it can be done and its pretty easy. im going to go out on a limb and say that youre network dishes out 192.168.x.x addresses.

So that means the NICs connected to the internet will get 192 addresses.
Hookup the crossover between the 2 computers and set the IPs to static on the 2nd NICs and use something in a different IANA space. Something like 10.0.0.1/24 for one and 10.0.0.2/24 for the other.

Then when you want to access the other computer, get to it by IP instead of hostname, that way you know you'll be using the crossover and not your router.
IE: \\10.0.0.2\videos

Shouldnt be too confusing and quite simple to setup! Good luck. I do this with my home network when I want stuff off my main computer onto my wireless laptop.

Oddly enough videos stopped stuttering recently... and haven't had any disconnects.

But what you're saying makes perfect sense, I just don't have a crossover cable and no tools to make one :(

Could buy one and try it out, right now it seems fine... it's a linksys wireless router, I don't use wireless though... I just connect the internet to the WAN and then 2 Cat5's to the 4 ports on the back.

Server / Workstation both have dual gigabit...

Oddly enough videos stopped stuttering recently... and haven't had any disconnects.

But what you're saying makes perfect sense, I just don't have a crossover cable and no tools to make one :(

Could buy one and try it out, right now it seems fine... it's a linksys wireless router, I don't use wireless though... I just connect the internet to the WAN and then 2 Cat5's to the 4 ports on the back.

Server / Workstation both have dual gigabit...

You shouldn't need a crossover cable for gigabit, a regular cable should work fine directly between the machines. Gigabit is supposed to have auto crossover from the spec i believe.

yes, it can be done and its pretty easy. im going to go out on a limb and say that youre network dishes out 192.168.x.x addresses.

So that means the NICs connected to the internet will get 192 addresses.
Hookup the crossover between the 2 computers and set the IPs to static on the 2nd NICs and use something in a different IANA space. Something like 10.0.0.1/24 for one and 10.0.0.2/24 for the other.

Then when you want to access the other computer, get to it by IP instead of hostname, that way you know you'll be using the crossover and not your router.
IE: \\10.0.0.2\videos

Shouldnt be too confusing and quite simple to setup! Good luck. I do this with my home network when I want stuff off my main computer onto my wireless laptop.

This still leaves a crappy router between you and the internet. Linux-based router in a virtual machine ftw!

Not a big deal when you have mediocre internet to begin with :) I just want good connections between the computers.

Not a big deal when you have mediocre internet to begin with :) I just want good connections between the computers.

Only makes a difference if you torrent.. Torrenting systematically crashes SOHO routers unless you severely cut down the max number of global connection.

I want to do what the title of the thread says as well..

Is there any way to tell a programs that use the internet (Torrent apps, FireFox, etc.) to use one of the two NICs in the PC? I have disabled File and Printer Sharing on one of the connections, so that I am certain that all filetransfers internally in the LAN are done on the one connection that has a CAT6 cable plugged into a GigaBit switch (the other NIC has a regular CAT5 straight into the router).

Anyone?

I want to do what the title of the thread says as well..

Is there any way to tell a programs that use the internet (Torrent apps, FireFox, etc.) to use one of the two NICs in the PC? I have disabled File and Printer Sharing on one of the connections, so that I am certain that all filetransfers internally in the LAN are done on the one connection that has a CAT6 cable plugged into a GigaBit switch (the other NIC has a regular CAT5 straight into the router).

Anyone?

No gateway entry on the LAN NICs.

Although to be honest..I've never seen where having LAN NICs..and a 2nd set of NICs for the internet...gives any increase in anything, except time delays with network browsing.

No gateway entry on the LAN NICs.

Although to be honest..I've never seen where having LAN NICs..and a 2nd set of NICs for the internet...gives any increase in anything, except time delays with network browsing.

Thirded.

Internet is a very small fraction of gigabit's bandwidth that it isnt going to be impacting it at all.
Its far simpler to just run your machines into a gigabit switch. (or even upgrade to a router with gigabit on the lan side - like the dlink gamer series).

Back