Seting up bridge, PC doesnt recognize any connection

+Plague+

Limp Gawd
I have a laptop with a wireless network card and a regular network card, I have bridged these two together. I can get internet to work on one of the two desktops I have in my room.

When connecting to the non working PC, it is as if nothing has been connected. No message saying limited connection or something like that, just "A network cable is unplugged." I have two working NICs in this PC, and neither one will recognize the line from the laptop. However, if I plug either one of these NICs directly to a router, it works fine. It should be noted that for both, I did not install any drivers, windows recognized both.

What can I do? The laptop end is fine I think, since it will work with my main PC.

So... you have a router but are choosing not to use it and use ICS instead? I'm confused...

Router is downstairs, I have two desktops upstairs with only NICs (no wireless) and 1 laptop with wireless. I have been using the laptop with the bridge to give internet to my main PC now, and when I try the same thing with this new PC, it doesnt recognize any cable being attached.

As far as crossover cables go, why does it work with my main PC with a regular cat5 cable?

Most newer nics have automatic MDI/MDI-X. If either of the nics in that case support that, they can automatically eliminate the need for a crossover cable. It's also possible that the router supports auto MDI/MDI-X, and that could be why it works when plugged in the router, but not pc-pc

Back