SETI.Germany's 13th Annual Pentathlon (2022)

No problem. Glad I could help and make a little difference. Also, some little payback to those that jumped on the Support Ukraine with crunching after my post.

Later!

Reactions: EXT64
like this
No problem. Glad I could help and make a little difference. Also, some little payback to those that jumped on the Support Ukraine with crunching after my post.

Later!
Was lucky that I was doing Einstein for Ukraine and had some prep prior to the pent. Very satisfied with my validation rate.
1652923588858.png

Well here is my commentary before Jeeper publishes something tomorrow.

Compare to 2021, TAAT took the #1 and P3D #2. TSBT and SG remain the same position. In the absence of LTT, the trio of [H], CNT and RFN move up one position in the same order.

Ukraine improves from #13 to #8 this year. They deserve our respect despite the current situation.

Team China came back from #25 to #10 and BOINC@Australia got pushed out from the top ten team list.

In summary, the top four teams have dominated this pentathlon since 2020. Will 2023 will be any different? We shall see.

Hope to see more participation next year. Mean time take a 350 days of rest before the next one scheduled on May 5th, 2023.

1652925747237.png

Thanks to everyone that showed up. Big or small, you guys did great. Thanks to bluestang for jumping in to give a nice boost. I think we did fantastic for having a dozen or less folks contributing. Now if only we could figure out what that program that idiot in the shoutbox was talking about...lol. Next year, I hope to be better prepared. I say that every year but this year I wasn't as well off as I thought I was going to be. Definitely gonna put a little more prep time in beforehand.

Anyone else have an obscene amount of work that has been done and just pending upload? I'm back to mining VRSC but leaving it until it hits the deadline as no reason not to submit it even if the comp is done.

This sadly would not be as simple as you put it. If the project is backed by a University, then there is a strong possibility that ANY donations sent to it wouldn't necessarily go to the project nor the infrastructure. Typically what happens is that the money just goes to the University and gets spent on other worthless things including a pay raise for the President. Even if the project got the money, typically the infrastructure in place is the same for the whole University and allotted a portion of its capabilities. It would be unlikely that the infrastructure would actually see any noticeable bump.
It probably varies by university, but I know with mine you can specify at least which department you want donations to go to. Unsurprisingly the engineering departments are very well funded while the humanities, not so much... If it's a large enough donation I'm guessing you'd know the people in that department and could persuade them to use it for something specific as long as they think that it's reasonable. Maybe donating hardware would be better, since declaring values on stuff like that can be sketchy (ie. "Mind if I donate my 128 core servers to you guys? They're technically just one-off engineering samples so basically worthless, no need to fuss over paperwork...")

My 5950x and 5800x have been dead in the water for two days, they just have a huge backlog of completed universe work units that wont upload. At this point they probably never will, and certainly not before the contest is over. Oddly enough my 5600x still has tons of work units in queue, but that too has a huge backlog of completed units that will not upload. Perhaps moving to linux was a mistake for the pent. So I entirely missed the 100% bonus. Really feels like this is less a contest of teams coming together to complete work and more about whatever team can configure the best scripts/exploits/hacks to force uploads and bypass the project backoff limits.

Perhaps for future contests the teams should get together and have a donation period beforehand, to have the selected projects upgrade their hardware & infrastructure to adequately process the work? I don't know, just trying to end on a less negative note, I feel defeated.
I had some issues getting my GPUs to work on primegrid and just gave up on that. I get that they want to hide progress from people to discourage bad actors from gaming the system, but it made it difficult to see if things were working or not. Aside from the first day though, setting my CPUs running ubuntu to work on universe@home and not touching anything for a couple weeks seems to have worked pretty well. Got distracted by other stuff so I didn't really try the other sites, was kind of discouraging though with all the initial instability.

[Edit: Undoing/halting BOINC was seamless for all my computers running universe@home but for some reason I had to reimage all the GPU computers that I tried using for PrimeGrid after trying to switch to other tasks and that combined with other things coming up was the end of my GPU adventures.]

Last edited:
Anyone else have an obscene amount of work that has been done and just pending upload? I'm back to mining VRSC but leaving it until it hits the deadline as no reason not to submit it even if the comp is done.
If you're talking about Universe work units, it's a problem everyone is having. Their servers/internet connection can't handle the load they've been put under and were a thorn in everyone's side throughout the competition. Now that the competition is over things are getting better. Tonight I did quite a few manual requests through the client to retry uploads on work and was finally able to send back the work units on two systems I had sitting around for a few days. It shouldn't be too much longer before you can get those finished work units uploaded.

It probably varies by university, but I know with mine you can specify at least which department you want donations to go to. Unsurprisingly the engineering departments are very well funded while the humanities, not so much... If it's a large enough donation I'm guessing you'd know the people in that department and could persuade them to use it for something specific as long as they think that it's reasonable. Maybe donating hardware would be better, since declaring values on stuff like that can be sketchy (ie. "Mind if I donate my 128 core servers to you guys? They're technically just one-off engineering samples so basically worthless, no need to fuss over paperwork...")

I had some issues getting my GPUs to work on primegrid and just gave up on that. I get that they want to hide progress from people to discourage bad actors from gaming the system, but it made it difficult to see if things were working or not. Aside from the first day though, setting my CPUs running ubuntu to work on universe@home and not touching anything for a couple weeks seems to have worked pretty well. Got distracted by other stuff so I didn't really try the other sites, was kind of discouraging though with all the initial instability.

[Edit: Undoing/halting BOINC was seamless for all my computers running universe@home but for some reason I had to reimage all the GPU computers that I tried using for PrimeGrid after trying to switch to other tasks and that combined with other things coming up was the end of my GPU adventures.]
My 5950x and 5800x were running boinc on linux mint. As of right now, they are STILL sitting on upload pending. Most of my 5600x units, on windows 10, have finished uploading. For whatever reason, the linux clients can no longer upload. SO the last 3-4 days worth of work (depending on how much of a backlog of units it had) never went to the contest. I'll let it run for the rest of the day but then I'm just shutting them down.

My 5950x and 5800x were running boinc on linux mint. As of right now, they are STILL sitting on upload pending. Most of my 5600x units, on windows 10, have finished uploading. For whatever reason, the linux clients can no longer upload. SO the last 3-4 days worth of work (depending on how much of a backlog of units it had) never went to the contest. I'll let it run for the rest of the day but then I'm just shutting them down.
Ah. I haven't really checked the clients themselves since I started, just was monitoring via the webpage and seeing my submitted shares going up. Does seem like it didn't increase much since the last time I checked though (1 week ago or so)

Ah. I haven't really checked the clients themselves since I started, just was monitoring via the webpage and seeing my submitted shares going up. Does seem like it didn't increase much since the last time I checked though (1 week ago or so)
Here you can see the host totals of my 5950x and 5800x, after the 16th it nearly stops dead. Now today it's been moving some along now that the contest is over.
1652974659100.png1652974813812.png

oblox
Yeah...I'm having a much easier time uploading leftover tasks today to Universe. No issue with Einstein. Just set your clients to No New Tasks for each project and keep manually hitting Retry Now on the Transfers tab when you see them back off. However, I'm clearing out most of my rigs right now with little effort.

Thanks for the help by the way. This event happens every May 5th.

Next year, 4th place! But seriously, maybe we can get a new article on the Tech News portion of the forum, I almost missed the contest entirely. And I feel even a few more pieces of [H]ardware could get us some gains...

Next year, 4th place! But seriously, maybe we can get a new article on the Tech News portion of the forum, I almost missed the contest entirely. And I feel even a few more pieces of [H]ardware could get us some gains...
I normally send an email from the Team Captain account at WCG. I do that because that project has our largest user base. This year WCG wasn't available due to the migration and most of the project announced, weren't known until right before. Even then, half our contributors didn't have accounts to receive an email.

If you would like a notice on the website somewhere, you will need to ask Kyle if he is willing to even do it. If so, let me know and one of us will remind him next year. I agree that 4th is possible. However, to do that we will need to get a LOT more resources mustered up. We handled 5th this year and almost last year with under a dozen folks but 2/3s of those folks are pretty experienced veterans that run these projects year round. Each year we seem to lose another heavy hitter or two and it is hard to fill the ranks with folks willing to give to science. I really wish our mining subsection wasn't so negative towards us. I know many of them got there honestly because there was some very negative feelings towards mining in the early days and many of them didn't like following forum rules. So, there was some heat exchanged when it popped up in here. However, I think a lot of that has relaxed now. There were even some mining BOINC projects that got moved out of DC and into the mining subs but nobody really chimed in on them.

Last year I said I was going to make a video on how to setup GCC's and use the free $300 credit from Google but we got our guide section back and Phoenicis' guide is in there to walk people through setting it up. I don't know anyone on the team that used cloud computing this year. I need to find out how hard it would be to make another account and get the free credit again...lol. Maybe my wife will get an account ;)

Yeah, we were just 393K or about 114 gamma ray pulsar tasks behind 4th place, SG. In terms of Radeon VII card which can easily output 2.4M PPD on my system, we only need 0.16 card to match SG output. One cruncher with one decent gpu can make a big difference in the outcome.

Well, we are glad that you can contribute some, no matter big or small ;)
1652977569666.png

Good to have you participating in this and thanks. All my task already uploaded last night (Universe).

oblox
Yeah...I'm having a much easier time uploading leftover tasks today to Universe. No issue with Einstein. Just set your clients to No New Tasks for each project and keep manually hitting Retry Now on the Transfers tab when you see them back off. However, I'm clearing out most of my rigs right now with little effort.

Thanks for the help by the way. This event happens every May 5th.
Yep, everything was cleared out after work.

Jeeper Part 1 Final Report.

Part 1 report is for the three races that completed on the last day of Pentathlon. Part 2 will come a day after, usually.

"Behind them, however, it got much more exciting. And what a final we were served here! SG beat the chasers in a photo finish and took #4. [H] (#5) could only look shocked. " Ok we lost to SG but we gave our best shot! We were just behind by 0.16 Radeon VII output per day. I think a mid range card like 1060/1070 should easily put us ahead of SG. That's how close it is. Ok enough of excuses, lol.

Final Report - 19 May 2022 - Follow-up​

Ladies and gentlemen, it is over, finished, and done. Please do not look at me like that with your glazed, feverish, and craving eyes. My shelf is empty. Really. There is nothing left. 14 intense doses - 14 intense days. Did you feel the energy - do you still feel it? That is good. Do not just let the effect disappear, but conserve it and use it whenever you want. Remember, this Pentathlon elixir does not work for only a few days. It works whenever you want it to.

Now it is time for me to go. Do not look so sad. Maybe I will be back next year with a new elixir with improved and new ingredients.

Part 1 - Disciplines
Done. The 13th BOINC Pentathlon is over. I hope that you are not too exhausted and the daily elixir has refined your enjoyment. As usual, the evaluation comes in two parts. Part 1 addresses the last disciplines, whereas part 2 focuses on the Overall Standings and statistics.

Javelin Throw (NumberFields@home)
Gold goes to TAAT and silver to P3D. This was already decided and so it was all about bronze. But this was also decided quite fast. SG threw with full power in the last attempt (way too far) and snatched bronze. Congratulations!

CNT (#4) made it too easy for SG, their final throw was lacking in motivation. They obviously did not believe in success any more. [H] dutifully did what they had to do for #5, whereas RKN was already locked in #6 and could skip this throw.

Things got really exciting in #7. Ukraine and TSBT went for a decision with the final throw. Slowly but steadily, the Ukrainian javelin traveled farther and farther until it reached the distance required to bag the deserved 7th rank. The Scots could do nothing more and had to settle for #8.

AF finished in #9, followed by Chinese Dream in #10. Nothing was at stake for either of them on the final day, but behind them, there was a three-way fight for #11. LITOMYSL catapulted themselves into #11 and had Meisterkuehler (#12) in tow. The duo thus stirred up the overrun field behind them a bit.

AMD Users secured #13, while OCN (#14) and EVGA (#15) were able to take it easier. Skipping the final day was no option for BOINC.Italy, 2ch, and TC, as #16 was still at stake. BOINC.Italy snatched it just ahead of 2ch, who thus finished in #17. With half-hearted throws, TC finished only in #18, which does not really reflect the team's potential.

TFFE and BOINC@AUSTRALIA were fighting for #19, and TFFE had the luckier hand. They did what they had to do early in the day; then they just had to wait and see what the Australians would do. And they did too little, although they had the chance. So BOINC@AUSTRALIA had to settle for #20.

The Confederation did not need to invest any more energy, as more than #21 was not possible anyway. For UBT (#22), BOINCstats (#23), BOINC Synergy (#24), Russia (#25), and Crystal Dream (#26), there was nothing more to gain on the final day, as well.

City Run (Einstein@Home)
TAAT emerges as the winner here, as well, and takes the next gold. Silver goes to P3D. Bronze goes to TSBT in Scotland. Congratulations!

Behind them, however, it got much more exciting. And what a final we were served here! SG beat the chasers in a photo finish and took #4. [H] (#5) could only look shocked. CNT (#6) could not follow in the end, as well, even though they gave it their all.

Only #7 remained for RKN. Even though the great final spurt was not enough for a better result, they will still be satisfied. There was no sensation in the end, BOINC@AUSTRALIA had to admit defeat to the concentrated superiority and thus settle for #8.

Behind them, TC secured #9, even though OCN (#10) made a tentative attempt to catch the Chinese in the end. AF was left in #11. Ukraine (#12) was able to finish the race without much pressure, as their lead was already very large.

BOINC.Italy (#13) won the three-way fight behind them in a fabulous photo finish. EVGA (#14) followed only a blink of an eye behind, and 2ch (#15) less than a breath behind. As expected, LITOMYSL (#16) enjoyed this show from behind and could immediately admire the next duel after crossing the finish line. Chinese Dream could only just keep #17. AMD Users came dangerously close in the end, but it still was not enough, and so the hardware faction has to settle for #18. Meisterkuehler followed in #19.

In the three-way fight behind them, the protagonists somehow forgot to fight. UBT (#20), BOINCstats (#21), and BOINC Synergy (#22) crossed the finish line nicely one after the other. There was no real attack to be seen.

TFFE secured #23 with a strong final day and crossed the finish line well ahead of Russia (#24), BC (#25), and Crystal Dream (#26). There were no changes in this three-way fight, either.

Obstacle Run (Universe@Home)
The decision has fallen, TAAT wins the Obstacle Run and thus takes all the gold medals this year. P3D tried everything in the end, went to their limits and beyond, but they end up with silver. TSBT completes the podium, but was not willing or able to intervene in that duel. Congratulations!

SG (#4) and [H] (#5) let it coast, while RKN had to worry about #6 until the end. But CNT (#7) did not attack. TC crossed the finish line flying in #8, dragging AF (#9) along in the dragon's pull. Again, we can welcome Ukraine in the top 10.

With #11, Meisterkuehler took their best rank in a discipline this year and thus surprised OCN (#12), BOINC.Italy (#13), and AMD Users (#14), costing them a few points in the Overall Standings. EVGA crossed the finish line in #15 without any pressure. Chinese Dream in #16 could also let it coast. In a superb #17, TFFE says goodbye to the obstacle course and achieves another good result.

BOINC@AUSTRALIA still had a chance, but did not use it, and thus has to settle for #18. The fight for #19 got more exciting. UBT or 2ch was the question here. And in the end, the Brits secured #19 in a photo finish and relegated 2ch to #20.

LITOMYSL (#21) was able to enjoy this duel at ease, as the Confederation (#22) was too far behind. BOINC Synergy crossed the finish line in #23 and quickly turned around to see the decision behind them. Crystal Dream (#24) won that one. BOINCstats (#25) could not beat the pace of the dreamers in the end. Russia in #26 completed the field.

End of part 1 - part 2 follows shortly

Here is pschoefer (pentathlon organizer from SG team) overall feedback on the 13th pentathlon and his analysis of each of the five projects selected. Actual text can be found in SG website here. The text below is translated via google chrome.

I would like to put my final words here during the last hours of the pentathlon, so that they can still be read by the people who look back here in the hours after the pentathlon and then mentally have finished with the pentathlon. This plan fell through at the latest when I destroyed the shout box on the Pentathlon page with my clumsy hooves in the last hour. I hope that even now it is not too late.

So that was BOINC Pentathlon number 13. This unlucky number actually fits quite well as there was a bit more shadow and less light compared to the pentathlons of the last few years. I had already discussed the project selection in this postadmitted. In this regard, this pentathlon was ill-fated from the start, which had given me stomach ache long before. But one after the other, a few words about how the projects have fared:

Universe@Home: The hope of bundling the worst effects of clumsily designed bunkers through the bonus days in such a way that the project at least otherwise remains reasonably accessible was dashed by the fact that the backlog after the bonus days and the increased normal rush (including the construction of more skilfully designed bunkers) enough to exceed the maximum number of possible file transfers. This was neither a pleasant situation for the participants nor for the project, since there was no spontaneous solution and not much could be learned from it. Unfortunately, from the point of view of the organizers, the only lesson to be learned here was that the project with the current infrastructure and current processes is no longer suitable for larger competitions.

NumberFields@home: In the beginning it was quite bumpy when clearing larger bunkers. This relaxed significantly as more and more WUs from a longer series were in circulation. On the fourth day of throwing, there was again an insufficient WU supply for several hours after the two strongest teams had achieved their goals and presumably quite a few WUs dropped out. This problem had appeared two years ago and the same solution worked this time as well. The admin had assumed that the BOINC server software would have been improved at this point in the meantime. Now we have learned that was not the case.

PrimeGrid: Probably the safest bank at the moment and therefore a good reason to make use of the rule changed in 2020 for the first time, that the previous year's projects can also be selected again. I have heard no reports of serious difficulties here; Of course you can run into problems with the WU supply if you want to secure a large number of WUs from a rather unpopular sub-project in a short time, but these are practically unavoidable isolated cases given the way a BOINC server works.

SRBase : For the first time, this project has refuted the assertion that the increased computing power of the participants has made it fundamentally impossible to carry out a pentathlon discipline without server problems. It only had to be intervened twice, so that the database didn't get too big. If the framework conditions are right, the VM operated at home is sufficient for a BOINC server, even if other projects had their problems years ago despite a massively better server infrastructure. That doesn't mean, of course, that a Universe@Home would suddenly have worked without any problems if someone ran it in a VM at home; but it is said that the server infrastructure alone cannot be a suitable criterion in project selection.

Einstein@Home: Actually also a safe bank, which wobbled a bit in April, but from the point of view of the admins caught itself again in time. Unfortunately, it didn't really start well, since the WU distribution was a matter of luck and accessibility was getting worse and worse. In the end it was a web server problem that was actually solved pretty quickly once it was found. From the inside, however, it initially looked like a network problem beyond the project server. The organizers were able to learn from this that it makes sense to get in touch with the admins, even with projects that are as experienced as they are and with apparently self-explanatory problems (it was immediately clear to everyone from the outside that the Pentathlon simply causes too much load...). to stay.

From an organizational point of view, the greatest potential for improvement here is probably the point mentioned about Einstein@Home, namely improving communication with the projects. Unfortunately, it becomes clear here that too many tasks are spread over too few shoulders. The creative people who, for example, after several years are designing a newer set of medals or who have constructive suggestions for optical and functional improvements on the website, are missing. And there are absolutely no people who can step in if someone drops out. Since I first helped behind the scenes in 2011, over time I've filled in for almost everything except the tech behind the website and stats. This year I was generally not in good shape and then I got sick during the pentathlon. So I have to in particularthank walli
wink.gif
, who built me up a bit during the hot preparation time, went through the project list and the rules with me and quickly and easily took care of a few small things on the website (and the repair of the shoutbox last night ). Thanks are also due to shka for the technical implementation, Jeeper for the reports and modesti and Andarta for the French translations.
hello.gif

The obstacle course certainly has the most discussions about the set of rulescaused (although only a few thoughts were shared in this thread or on other appropriate feedback channels). From my point of view, many points of criticism related less to the idea itself than to the specific project this year. It is therefore not possible to answer the question unequivocally as to whether this idea has proven itself or not. From a dramaturgical point of view, it can be said that it was never that close on the long haul; the obstacle course right at the front was not boring after a few days like the marathon itself in the last two years with very limited pre-bunker options. In contrast to the original idea that no points would be counted at all on the Obstacle Days, the less involved participants can still make their contribution, even if this was not so easy due to the project selection this year. If you put in more effort, you can of course get a lot more out of the bonus points. Perhaps these were set a little high.

Finally, a few comments that haunt my donkey brain on the subject of participants and their behavior . There are more or less three groups of participants. Not everyone is represented in all teams, but there are always representatives of at least two of these groups, especially in the larger teams:

The first group follows the motto: " Being there is everything. " This type of participant switches on their computers and sets them up one or two suitable projects, sometimes with changes in between. For the second group, the new Olympic motto " faster, higher, stronger - together

" fits". This group is about getting the best out of their computers through optimization, strategy and tactics. If you then miss a better place despite optimal performance, that's just the way it is.

I would describe the third group with a mistranslation of the old Olympic motto : " higher, faster, further ". These are the people who, if necessary, also resort to means that are at least controversial in the other groups or are even considered unsportsmanlike. Examples (not all from this year or ever actually occurred ) are team hopping in ongoing competition, speculative bunkering before the project is announced or the temporary hiring of additional resources.

In general, nobody in the first two groups has any problems with each other as long as the second group explains what they are doing. It is the actions of the third group that can lead to upsets, so that in the end at least the first two groups have less pleasure in it and the supposed successes of the third group are also devalued. I won't go so far as to blame the third group for everything bad; virtually all of the problems we see with the projects or why there aren't more projects to choose from would also arise without the questionable behaviors. However, I would like to ask the members of this third group in particular to think about the long-term consequences of their behavior.

On this topic, one can read again and again that the organizers have every possible lever and should change the rules accordingly - unfortunately often only anonymously and with a questionable tone in the shoutbox, never via the appropriate feedback channels, which also allow a discussion about it would allow. The problem, however, is that we can write anything in the rules, but there are no sanctions and often no monitoring options to comply with these rules. I can say that it can be annoying not only from the participant's point of view if nothing is done about problems. It's even more depressing from an organizational point of view when the only viable solution is simply not to organize a competition at all, which would penalize all participants equally.

Therefore, as a kind of final word for the 13th BOINC Pentathlon, I am left with the following: Crunch competitions are not and cannot be perfect. With the necessary composure and a pinch of reflection on one's own actions, however, they can still give everyone a little or even greater joy.
wink.gif

PS: This year's award can now also be applied for .
BP2022_Award_gr.png
Edited by pschoefer (Yesterday at 21:02 ) Reason: one word was too many

Jeeper Part 1 Final Report.

Part 1 report is for the three races that completed on the last day of Pentathlon. Part 2 will come a day after, usually.

"Behind them, however, it got much more exciting. And what a final we were served here! SG beat the chasers in a photo finish and took #4. [H] (#5) could only look shocked. " Ok we lost to SG but we gave our best shot! We were just behind by 0.16 Radeon VII output per day. I think a mid range card like 1060/1070 should easily put us ahead of SG. That's how close it is. Ok enough of excuses, lol.

Final Report - 19 May 2022 - Follow-up​

Ladies and gentlemen, it is over, finished, and done. Please do not look at me like that with your glazed, feverish, and craving eyes. My shelf is empty. Really. There is nothing left. 14 intense doses - 14 intense days. Did you feel the energy - do you still feel it? That is good. Do not just let the effect disappear, but conserve it and use it whenever you want. Remember, this Pentathlon elixir does not work for only a few days. It works whenever you want it to.

Now it is time for me to go. Do not look so sad. Maybe I will be back next year with a new elixir with improved and new ingredients.

Part 1 - Disciplines
Done. The 13th BOINC Pentathlon is over. I hope that you are not too exhausted and the daily elixir has refined your enjoyment. As usual, the evaluation comes in two parts. Part 1 addresses the last disciplines, whereas part 2 focuses on the Overall Standings and statistics.

Javelin Throw (NumberFields@home)
Gold goes to TAAT and silver to P3D. This was already decided and so it was all about bronze. But this was also decided quite fast. SG threw with full power in the last attempt (way too far) and snatched bronze. Congratulations!

CNT (#4) made it too easy for SG, their final throw was lacking in motivation. They obviously did not believe in success any more. [H] dutifully did what they had to do for #5, whereas RKN was already locked in #6 and could skip this throw.

Things got really exciting in #7. Ukraine and TSBT went for a decision with the final throw. Slowly but steadily, the Ukrainian javelin traveled farther and farther until it reached the distance required to bag the deserved 7th rank. The Scots could do nothing more and had to settle for #8.

AF finished in #9, followed by Chinese Dream in #10. Nothing was at stake for either of them on the final day, but behind them, there was a three-way fight for #11. LITOMYSL catapulted themselves into #11 and had Meisterkuehler (#12) in tow. The duo thus stirred up the overrun field behind them a bit.

AMD Users secured #13, while OCN (#14) and EVGA (#15) were able to take it easier. Skipping the final day was no option for BOINC.Italy, 2ch, and TC, as #16 was still at stake. BOINC.Italy snatched it just ahead of 2ch, who thus finished in #17. With half-hearted throws, TC finished only in #18, which does not really reflect the team's potential.

TFFE and BOINC@AUSTRALIA were fighting for #19, and TFFE had the luckier hand. They did what they had to do early in the day; then they just had to wait and see what the Australians would do. And they did too little, although they had the chance. So BOINC@AUSTRALIA had to settle for #20.

The Confederation did not need to invest any more energy, as more than #21 was not possible anyway. For UBT (#22), BOINCstats (#23), BOINC Synergy (#24), Russia (#25), and Crystal Dream (#26), there was nothing more to gain on the final day, as well.

City Run (Einstein@Home)
TAAT emerges as the winner here, as well, and takes the next gold. Silver goes to P3D. Bronze goes to TSBT in Scotland. Congratulations!

Behind them, however, it got much more exciting. And what a final we were served here! SG beat the chasers in a photo finish and took #4. [H] (#5) could only look shocked. CNT (#6) could not follow in the end, as well, even though they gave it their all.

Only #7 remained for RKN. Even though the great final spurt was not enough for a better result, they will still be satisfied. There was no sensation in the end, BOINC@AUSTRALIA had to admit defeat to the concentrated superiority and thus settle for #8.

Behind them, TC secured #9, even though OCN (#10) made a tentative attempt to catch the Chinese in the end. AF was left in #11. Ukraine (#12) was able to finish the race without much pressure, as their lead was already very large.

BOINC.Italy (#13) won the three-way fight behind them in a fabulous photo finish. EVGA (#14) followed only a blink of an eye behind, and 2ch (#15) less than a breath behind. As expected, LITOMYSL (#16) enjoyed this show from behind and could immediately admire the next duel after crossing the finish line. Chinese Dream could only just keep #17. AMD Users came dangerously close in the end, but it still was not enough, and so the hardware faction has to settle for #18. Meisterkuehler followed in #19.

In the three-way fight behind them, the protagonists somehow forgot to fight. UBT (#20), BOINCstats (#21), and BOINC Synergy (#22) crossed the finish line nicely one after the other. There was no real attack to be seen.

TFFE secured #23 with a strong final day and crossed the finish line well ahead of Russia (#24), BC (#25), and Crystal Dream (#26). There were no changes in this three-way fight, either.

Obstacle Run (Universe@Home)
The decision has fallen, TAAT wins the Obstacle Run and thus takes all the gold medals this year. P3D tried everything in the end, went to their limits and beyond, but they end up with silver. TSBT completes the podium, but was not willing or able to intervene in that duel. Congratulations!

SG (#4) and [H] (#5) let it coast, while RKN had to worry about #6 until the end. But CNT (#7) did not attack. TC crossed the finish line flying in #8, dragging AF (#9) along in the dragon's pull. Again, we can welcome Ukraine in the top 10.

With #11, Meisterkuehler took their best rank in a discipline this year and thus surprised OCN (#12), BOINC.Italy (#13), and AMD Users (#14), costing them a few points in the Overall Standings. EVGA crossed the finish line in #15 without any pressure. Chinese Dream in #16 could also let it coast. In a superb #17, TFFE says goodbye to the obstacle course and achieves another good result.

BOINC@AUSTRALIA still had a chance, but did not use it, and thus has to settle for #18. The fight for #19 got more exciting. UBT or 2ch was the question here. And in the end, the Brits secured #19 in a photo finish and relegated 2ch to #20.

LITOMYSL (#21) was able to enjoy this duel at ease, as the Confederation (#22) was too far behind. BOINC Synergy crossed the finish line in #23 and quickly turned around to see the decision behind them. Crystal Dream (#24) won that one. BOINCstats (#25) could not beat the pace of the dreamers in the end. Russia in #26 completed the field.

End of part 1 - part 2 follows shortly
"Let it coast" in the Obstacle run my ass. The Universe servers were absolute crap and there was nothing which could have been done. I had multiple bunkers ready to be turned in and not a single one of them got more than a few work units turned in until after the contest was over. It had nothing to do with coasting because there was no point in trying to do more with Universe since for at least three days work units couldn't even be turned in.

Jeeper Part 2 Final Ceremony

" 5th [H]ard|OCP (5-5-4-6-5) – previous year: #6
Always in the top 10 for five years, they showed a rock-solid performance once again. This is evident from their individual results. The trend was already visible last year, and they now have been able to build on it. "

Thanks to all the die [H]ard [H]ordes who participated and supported the team in this annual event. Hoping to see more participation next year on 5/5/2023!

[H]ard|OCP past annual results
--- 5th
2021 --- 6th
2020 --- 10th
2019 --- 4th
2018 --- 6th
2017 --- 12th
2016 --- 15th
2015 --- 8th

The thirteenth BOINC Pentathlon is over​

Part 2
Done. The 13th BOINC Pentathlon is history and once again offered something for everyone. TAAT was really up for it this year and managed to take the gold. But it was also exciting and varied behind them.

As expected, there were larger gaps at the Cross Country at PrimeGrid. Of the big teams, only AF slipped a bit. This discipline probably was the calmest for the observer this year.

As always, the Sprint at SRBase was short and painless. The fight for silver and bronze and for a few other ranks was exciting until the end.

Unfortunately, the medals were quickly decided at the City Run at Einstein@Home. However, we were compensated with the thrilling battle for #4, in which, appropriately enough, five teams were involved. There were also various small groups fighting for several ranks behind them.

At the Javelin Throw on NumberFields@home, the teams have now learned to weigh and use the tactical options. P3D managed to achieve their result with three optimal throws, while other teams had to throw once more. For example, SG had to throw four times, only to see that their main competitor did not throw at all. Other teams mixed up the field from behind, making it a challenge for the observer to determine the real standings.

With the Obstacle Run, there was also a change in the program again. Both the teams and the organizers gained experience here. How to make best use of the bonus days? What impact do they have? Universe@Home provided a basis for this that was not without problems, but hopefully provided the project with many important insights. Perhaps it was also because of the bonus days that the winner was not crowned until the final day, something that never happened before on the long track.

My heartfelt thanks again to the hardworking French translators, modesti and her new proofreader Andarta. I am sure that Cocagne watched from "above" and gave her approval.

pschoefer was responsible for the English translation, and special thanks go to him for the preparation. He is in contact with the projects, which was and is not unimportant...

It is great that this report is made available to a non-German-speaking audience this way. I am sure that this not only demonstrates the spirit of the competition, but also makes it so popular. Thank you very much!

Overall Standings
For the third time, TAAT, P3D, and TSBT shared the medals between them. SG was a bit closer this year, but could not take their chance. A solid core of teams has formed at the top to beat. TAAT, P3D, TSBT, SG, [H], CNT, RKN, and AF are among this core. This year, Ukraine and Team China were able to break through.

This year, 26 teams participated, of which 23 already participated last year. Beside the returnees of BOINC Confederation and BOINC Synergy, there was a newcomer, The Final Front Ear, who performed respectably.

And now the Overall Standings in detail. The results in the individual disciplines are given in parentheses in the order Obstacle Run - Javelin Throw - Cross Country - Sprint - City Run. As usual, I add my two cents to the best fifteen...

Gold Medal​

1st TeAm AnandTech (1-1-1-1-1) – previous year: #2
taat.jpg

At least for TAAT, 13 was a lucky number this year. After taking silver in the last two years, they were really up for it this time and pulled out all the stops. It remains to be seen whether they can confirm this next year.
BP2022_Overall_1.png

Silver Medal​

2nd Planet 3DNow! (2-2-2-4-2) – previous year: #1
p3dnow.png

The Green Planet turned from the hunted to the hunter. They still managed to beat TAAT last year, but this was impossible this year. Nevertheless, they remain a strong team that once again was able to mobilize its potential, and with which we will have to reckon again next year.
BP2022_Overall_2.png

Bronze Medal​

3rd The Scottish Boinc Team (3-8-3-2-3) – previous year: #3
tsbt.jpg

The Scots were difficult to assess before the start. It was not enough to fight for gold, and in the end there was a slight decline compared to last year. The slip-up at the Javelin Throw had no consequences in the end, but this was mainly because of the competitors. Without an improvement, it could be close next year.
BP2022_Overall_3.png

4th SETI.Germany (4-3-5-3-4) – previous year: #4
Two bronze medals made this Pentathlon a success for the Blue and Yellows. However, the overall medal remained elusive for them in the end. The small slip-up in the Cross Country did not make the difference, there was one more bit missing. The Germans have to work on that and then they will be able to win a medal again.

5th [H]ard|OCP (5-5-4-6-5) – previous year: #6
Always in the top 10 for five years, they showed a rock-solid performance once again. This is evident from their individual results. The trend was already visible last year, and they now have been able to build on it.

6th Czech National Team (7-4-6-5-6) – previous year: #7
Having participated in the Pentathlon since the beginning and constantly in the top 10, the Czechs are a fixture at this competition. At the Javelin Throw, they came close to precious metal, which, however, remained elusive for them this year. They remain a hot candidate for individual medals in the future.

7th Rechenkraft.net (6-6-7-7-7) – previous year: #8
The Rechenkrafties also established themselves in the top 10. They simply do not drop out of it since 2016. They improved on last year, again with a very stable performance. However, to achieve more they will have to do more.

8th Ukraine (10-7-10-8-12) - previous year: #13
Their best result in the history of this competition is a brilliant achievement, for which one can only congratulate, particularly given the current circumstances. The highlight was their result at the Javelin Throw, which was somewhat neutralized by the City Run, but still shows the potential of the team.

9th L'Alliance Francophone (9-9-13-10-11) – previous year: #9
The Alliance has lost touch with the extended top since 2016. One year before that, they won their last medal. As the competition does not sleep and new teams keep coming from behind, it will be a challenge for them to stay in the top 10.

10th Team China (8-18-9-13-9) – previous year: #25
They are back. While their wings were very lame last year and the skipped the year before that, the Chinese have come back. They are not yet as strong as in 2017 or 2018, but at least they have shown up again. The potential is still there and could pose a challenge for the top teams.

11th BOINC.Italy (13-16-8-12-13) – previous year: #16
In the last few years, the Italians went downhill slowly, but steadily. It is nice to see that they were able to change this now. While it was not enough for the top 10, their best result since 2016 should give enough reason to celebrate with wine and pizza.

12th AMD Users (14-13-11-9-18) - previous year: #19
AMD Users could improve as well and confirm their previous best overall result from 2019. City Run and Obstacle Run did not really suit them and cost them points. I hope that they can confirm the good performance next year.

13th Crunching@EVGA (15-15-12-11-14) – previous year: #14
They completed a solid Pentathlon and gained one rank. At first glance, a good result. However, three teams slipped by that they used to be able to keep behind them. The competition is getting stronger, this must give them food for thought. If they do not improve next year, there is a danger of falling down the rankings.

14th Overclock.net (12-14-15-17-10) - previous year: #11
The results of the overclockers were fluctuating. They did well in City Run and Obstacle Run, but lost again important points in the Sprint. Thus they had to let the stronger teams pass.

15th Meisterkuehler.de Team (11-12-18-15-19) - previous year: #20
Finally back in the top 15. After several good years, things have not been so smooth since 2018. Now they were able to improve significantly again. It is typical for the cool ones to concentrate on specific projects, this year these were Javelin Throw and Obstacle Run. They were not too far behind the top 10 there. Let us see what is possible next year.

16th BOINC@AUSTRALIA (18-20-16-18-8) - previous year: #10
17th Team 2ch (20-17-14-16-15) - previous year: #12
18th LITOMYSL (21-11-17-19-16) - previous year: #17
19th Chinese Dream (16-10-19-22-17) - previous year: #18
20th The Final Front Ear (17-19-24-14-23) - previous year: --
21st UK BOINC Team (19-22-22-23-20) - previous year: #22
22nd BOINC Confederation (22-21-20-21-25) - previous year: --
23rd BOINCstats (25-23-21-24-21) - previous year: #24
24th BOINC Synergy (23-24-23-25-22) - previous year: --
25th Russia (26-25-25-20-24) - previous year: #27
26th Crystal Dream (24-o-26-o-26) - previous year: #23
(o = without credits)

Statistics
TAAT joins the list of now five overall winners. P3D continues to lead this statistic with 6 overall wins, in part because SETI.USA (3) has not competed for several years.

With now 8 individual gold medals, TAAT is now in #3 in the discipline statistics. However, P3D (17) and SETI.USA (15) are a long way ahead. P3D still has the most silver medals (26) and was able to massively expand this lead. The same is true for SG in terms of bronze medals, of which they now have 14 in their closet.

What now? After the Pentathlon is before the Pentathlon.

• Can TAAT confirm their performance?
  • Can SG once again win an overall medal?
  • Can TC reach for precious metal next year?

You see it will be exciting again at the BOINC Pentathlon 2023.

Yours, Jeeper

Until 05 May 2023!
hello.gif

Last edited:
I'd love to see us do a Pentathlon with the singular focus we used to have as a DC group. If we did so I think we'd blow away all the other teams. There is a ton of DC computing power in the team from the various DC projects we do. I'd love it if we could even just once throw it all into this. And it wouldn't hurt if some new people joined in.

Considering the small number of people we had running this it was a hell of a showing.

Back