SETI.Germany's 13th Annual Pentathlon (2022)

Ok, just started on PrimeGrid. Looks like both CPUs and GPUs are working. Not sure if it's utilizing all 9 GPUs though or just one per computer, and I might've screwed things up for BONIC by BIOS flashing these GPUs, will have to wait and see maybe to compare their workrate. Looks like 1 out of 3 is recognized properly as an AMD MI25.

So if you want to stop it from running CPU you should uncheck CPU here:
1652054826781.png

And then lower down in the project selection pick the appropriate flag for the GPU portion you want only here:

1652054787095.png

Then you just need to make sure your boinc client has both PrimeGrid and either Universe or Numberfields added and they are setup in Their specific preferences to use only CPU.

The boinc client should try to get work from each of the project you have added that are active in the client based on the project preferences so it will grab CPU tasks for Universe / Numberfields and GPU tasks for Primegrid

Attachments

• 1652054725965.png
    1652054725965.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Basically GPU tasks award really high points and are completed really fast where as the primegrid CPU tasks take a long time and award like a 10th of the score. So for overall getting the best use of your machines towards the various ongoing events its a waste to use CPU on primegrid.

Reminder to everyone that we are planning to do the Third Javelin throw which starts on the 12th and not the second throw that just started. Please do not waste any points throwing today.
Javelin is scored on your third highest throw out of 5 so there is no real reason to participate in all 5 throws you just need to have 3 throws that are comparable and good and you will get the points for the third best.

So basically either run Universe wide open or start bunkering numberfields to release on the 12th. You can also bunker Universe in hopes of a bonus day but if you are not going to bunker then stay on universe as at least you won't have points going to waste getting validated on days we are not throwing on as a team.

Reminder @here don't forget to join team [H]ard|OCP for any project you are participating from the project website. You should also check for and make sure you have stats exporting enabled.
Let me know if you have any questions about how / where to do this for a particular project

Anyone have advice for me here, walked into the homelab and it was cool this morning, hmm, thats not right while running DC. Comp 1 I had forgotten I had suspended last night manually so I restarted it and it fetched work from Universe without issue. Home server, which has been doing most of the lift for Universe was also not running any tasks, hmm, that one has just been running on auto for Universe since day one as its just a 20 core Xeon machine. Updating and reseting the project hasnt' worked to get any work from Universe.

Update: checked the boinc app logs. the project was returning a message that they had no work. So I guess the server will have to bunker numberfields once I read up on that.

Last edited:
Anyone have advice for me here, walked into the homelab and it was cool this morning, hmm, thats not right while running DC. Comp 1 I had forgotten I had suspended last night manually so I restarted it and it fetched work from Universe without issue. Home server, which has been doing most of the lift for Universe was also not running any tasks, hmm, that one has just been running on auto for Universe since day one as its just a 20 core Xeon machine. Updating and reseting the project hasnt' worked to get any work from Universe.

Update: checked the boinc app logs. the project was returning a message that they had no work. So I guess the server will have to bunker numberfields once I read up on that.
I was about to ask what the Event log stated as I had read somewhere that Universe had ran out of work. I would suggest keeping a small cache just for these scenarios. Maybe a day or two worth. But, yes a Numberfields bunker would be nice to have as well for the next javelin toss. Don't worry about the current toss.

Anyone has any more gpus to run PrimeGrid? Nvidia cards will perform much better than AMD but beggars can't be choosy 😇 [H] team needs help in the BOINC pentathlon. We are in the a tight race with Planet 3DNow! and The Scottish Boinc Team.

Where are the miners and folders? Any help on setting up, please feel free to ask here. Thank you very much for your generosity :)

1652112108407.png

1652112601881.png

Keep hammering away at them. Meanwhile, utilize this time to develop some Numberfields bunkers if you are out of work.

I'm well aware of issues with the projects during the Pentathlon but this is getting to be stupid.

The Universe server status page claims there are plenty of work units and yet for at least two days it has been telling me there are no work units. I started on Numberfields but despite the extra work units requested I didn't get anywhere near as many as I should so I'm about out of work. Tried to make a new bunker but it seems the Numberfields site is down and I can't even attach to the project.

Sadly, one of the advantage of the setup of the Pentathlon is that if one project takes a dump there's usually something else you can work on but that's not happening right now.

Jeeper's 5th day commentary

Notable quote: "[H] is showing their potential here. They also won their only medal so far in the Cross Country, so anyone betting on them collapsing might be disappointed."

SmokeRngs, it's a bummer that the Universe and NumberFields servers are struggling but you can help us in PrimeGrid. Their server is responsive and there are plenty of tasks to run. Even on the first hour, PrimeGrid servers responded very well.

Day 5 - 09 May 2022 - 5th Dose​

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time for the next dose of energy and motivation. Today with a very special mix of dynamic obstacles, a dusty touch of Cross Country, and metallic javelin. An inimitable composition that will take you to new spheres. Let it have its effect and you will want more of it.

Javelin Throw (NumberFields@home)
The second throw is imminent and causes a lot of buzz. As a reminder, the third best throw will count in the end, so currently the second best throw is shown. So please take the current standings with a grain of salt.

TAAT seems to take full advantage of the second throw today as well, has thus taken the lead, and benefits from the Green Planet skipping this throw. By the way, P3D is currently in #13.

RKN is currently in #2 and makes another good throw, which may well be a tactical advantage for other disciplines later on. AF follows in #3, but it is not clear yet whether today's throw will be an improvement for them.

SG (#4) is significantly improving today, but still seems to be well behind their potential. This also looks to be the case for CNT (#5). We have to wait and see how the rest of the day will unfold. OCN (#6) and EVGA (#7) are confirming their first throws, whereas Ukraine (#8) is improving.

There are no signs of improvement from BOINC.Italy (#9), Chinese Dream (#10), and TC (#11) at the moment. But it is also not certain yet whether all three skip today. So we probably won't know more until tomorrow.

BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#12) will improve today, we will see how much. Besides P3D (#13), the AMD Users (#14) also appear to take it easy today, as do [H] (#15) and LITOMYSL (#25). This also means that our statistics will not reflect the real potential of these teams until the next but one throw.

TFFE (#16) confirms the first day, but will probably have to let 2ch (#17) and Meisterkuehler (#20) pass. Both seem to skip today and were much stronger in their first throw. However, BC (#18) and UBT (#19) could be beatable for the rookie.

BOINCstats (#21) is already clearly falling behind, as is Russia (#22). It is completely open what TSBT (#23) can still achieve. The first day was already no revelation, but the Scots will have to drop their pants or lift their kilts on the next throw at the latest.

BOINC Synergy (#24) is improving today, but it is still not very much. And Crystal Dream (#26) seems to be allergic to the javelin.

I will skip the Obstacle Run (Universe@Home) today, because things are rather calm there at the moment. Therefore, quickly over to the

Cross Country (PrimeGrid)
TAAT really seems to be up for it again this year. The scoreboard currently shows a clear lead ahead of [H] (#2) and TSBT (#3). While TSBT comes as no surprise, [H] is showing their potential here. They also won their only medal so far in the Cross Country, so anyone betting on them collapsing might be disappointed.

This poses a real challenge, particularly for P3D (#4). The Green Planet tends to struggle in this kind of disciplines, and this could also have consequences in the overall standings. SG (#5) has done better here in the past and it remains to be seen whether they can still mount an attack.

CNT (#6) is still lying in wait and is currently accompanied by RKN (#7), who have started very well. Ukraine is doing their best Pentathlon since 2011 at the moment. Currently in #8, they confirm their performance in the other two disciplines. However, danger is looming. TC (#9) is approaching rapidly, and BOINC.Italy (#10) is also closing the gap.

OCN (#11) and AMD Users (#12) follow. AF is only in #13 at the moment, which is quite a long way from the action. They may leave EVGA (#14) and LITOMYSL (#15) behind, but is this really their aspiration?

2ch (#16) and BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#17) are currently running at a similar pace, whereas Meisterkuehler (#18) and Chinese Dream (#19) have already fallen behind a bit. They are followed by BOINCstats (#20), BOINC Synergy (#21), TFFE (#22), BC (#23), and UBT (#24), who are all separated by similar gaps. However, these gaps can easily be overcome with a strong spurt. Behind them, Russia (#25) and Crystal Dream (#26) complete the field.

Overall Standings
Because of the Javelin Throw, there are of course gaps here that we have to keep in mind. This means that the teams have to remain watchful.

TAAT leads the field clearly. The cause is the Javelin Throw, so the field will come closer together again. P3D (#2) will definitely gain points. RKN is in #3 at the moment, followed by SG (#4).

[H] has dropped to #5 because of the javelin, whereas CNT (#6) is performing fairly consistently. Surprisingly, AF finds themselves in #7, despite the weak performance in the Cross Country. TSBT will see #8 only as a transit station; again, the javelin is the reason to be optimistic about their future.

Ukraine (#9) is rewarded for their consistent results and can keep OCN (#10) and TC (#11) at bay. BOINC.Italy follows in #12, and is in turn followed by EVGA (#13) and AMD Users (#14).

Behind them there is already a small gap to BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#15). Looking ahead may be deceiving for the kangaroos, I would recommend looking back to Chinese Dream (#16), Meisterkuehler (#17), 2ch (#18), and TFFE (#19). LITOMYSL (#20) will probably also poke in there, as the team is doing nothing with the javelin today. UBT currently holds #21, followed by BOINCstats (#22) and the Confederation (#23). Both are separated by only a single point, which promises many hours of fun ahead.

It remains to be seen whether BOINC Synergy (#24) can still intervene here. It is possible. At least, neither Russia (#25) nor Crystal Dream (#26) appear to be a threat from behind at the moment.

The third discipline is underway and so there is a lot of movement in the field. And slowly the teams start to reveal their tactical plans at the Javelin Throw.

• Can TAAT maintain their Cross Country lead?
  • Will SG attack P3D in the Cross Country?
  • When will P3D throw their next javelin?

You see it remains exciting at the BOINC Pentathlon.

Yours, Jeeper

[Based on stats at 12:00 UTC]

Sorry I didn't get time to throw together a config. Only running one task at a time right now. I couldn't find the config directory this morning. Forget where it is. I'll have to google it.

Sorry I didn't get time to throw together a config. Only running one task at a time right now. I couldn't find the config directory this morning. Forget where it is. I'll have to google it.
What config file do you need?
Here is primegrid pps-sieve

<app_config>
<app>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
<name>pps_sr2sieve</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.5</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>0.5</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

What config file do you need?
Here is primegrid pps-sieve

<app_config>
<app>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
<name>pps_sr2sieve</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.5</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>0.5</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>
That's it. Now I have to figure out where to find it. Just got home from a 55km bike ride in 25°c weather... So I'm sitting and trying to not die.

I was getting numberfields work last night but its tough right now. Prob better after todays jav finishes. Can always crunch some PG cpu tasks if nothing else.

I've set my main system to PPS Sieve on the 1080ti, I noticed that it wasn't making much in the way of Universe points (compared to the Sandy Bridge). I think BoincTasks is showing it running happy, but I can't figure out running multiple clients on a single seat- I don't have the files the walkthrough on OC.net is talking about at all.

In 2021 Pentathlon , we finished the city run (Primegrid, PPS-sieve gpu task) with 285M credits. We will surpass last year performance in the next 12 hours or so. The Ampere cards are so freaking fast and efficient ;)
To be honest, last year the project was announced 3 days prior to the race started, so this year we have extra 2 days to crunch. A few teams will finish above 1B credits this time around.

2021 Pentathlon - PrimeGrid Final Result
1652132779487.png

Now that Throw 2 is over I am having no problems adding Numberfields and getting some tasks FYI

Day 6 - 10 May 2022 - 6th Dose​

Ladies and gentlemen, how are you? Yesterday's dose was very strong and intense. Did you tolerate it well? Very good. In today's dose, we are only toning down the javelin, so you can enjoy the taste of obstacle and Cross Country. A taste that will explode your senses.

Javelin Throw (NumberFields@home)
Interesting developments are emerging here. TAAT (#1) threw the javelin to a new best mark, thereby challenging P3D, who are only in #10 at the moment but surely pricked their ears nevertheless. TAAT still needs two similar throws, whereas P3D would have to do better in each upcoming throw. Let us see if they accept this challenge.

RKN in #2 improved slightly, but still not enough for the podium in the end. But at least they have AF (#3) under control. On the other hand, SG (#4) set a scent mark that aims towards bronze yesterday. Meanwhile, EVGA (#5) clearly fell short of their first throw. OCN (#6) also threw slightly shorter and it remains to be seen what they still can do. CNT (#7) will probably clearly outdistance this duo. The Czechs are only just behind SG and thus within reach of the podium.

BOINC.Italy (#8) and AMD Users (#9) are at a similar level, which means that the AMD guys would have to make use of all remaining attempts to pass the Italians. P3D (#10) skipped the throw yesterday, thus maybe depriving themselves of a tactical variant. If they want to win, they may have to throw three more times. TC (#11) took it easy yesterday. If the first throw was the reference, the dragon would rank ahead of EVGA. So there is still something in it for them. [H] (#12) sat out yesterday. As with P3D, they might pay a price for this tactically. A medal is only possible with all-out attack in the remaining throws.

Only in #13 at the moment, Ukraine showed yesterday that top 10 is possible for them. They just have to confirm yesterday's throw two more times. This is also a realistic target for Chinese Dream (#14), whereas TSBT (#15) is still suspiciously weak. The Scots will have to reveal their cards at the next throw.

BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#16) was able to improve yesterday, but will likely have to let 2ch (#17) pass in the end. TFFE (#18) cannot keep up with them yet, but does manage to keep the Confederation (#19) behind them. On the other hand, UBT (#20) could be a threat as they were better in the first throw.

Meisterkuehler (#21) and LITOMYSL (#23) will most definitely make a leap up the rankings. Both of them saved their energy yesterday and will certainly throw farther in the next attempts. BOINCstats (#22) will not be very interested in this, because they are very far from these distances. At least they keep Russia (#24), BOINC Synergy (#25), and Crystal Dream (#26) at bay.

Obstacle Run (Universe@Home)
The obstacle course remains a real challenge for the participants. But that's what adds the spice after all. Nothing has changed at the top, P3D leads ahead of TAAT (#2), TSBT (#3), and SG (#4).

Behind them, [H] has captured #5 by overtaking CNT (#6). RKN (#7) had to let them go, but can maintain the gap on AF (#8). Meanwhile, TC (#9) and Ukraine (#10) seem to be happy with their positions.

On the other hand, OCN was able to secure #11 and to break away from BOINC.Italy (#12). The Italians, in turn, find themselves in a lively threesome with Meisterkuehler (#13) and AMD Users (#14). The three constantly decide anew who may lie on top...

EVGA in #15 is calmly watching this show and is waiting for an opportunity to join in with them. There is no danger from behind for now, as UBT (#16), TFFE (#17), and BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#18) are busy with themselves and do not look ahead.

Chinese Dream was able to move up to #19, thus overtooking 2ch (#20) and LITOMYSL (#21). BOINC Synergy (#22), BC (#23), and BOINCstats (#24) will probably fight for #22 in the end. Crystal Dream (#25) and Russia (#26) will not be able to intervene.

Cross Country (PrimeGrid)
TAAT is running like the devil is after them. They have a very clear lead over P3D (#2). TSBT (#3) and [H] (#4) are fighting for bronze right now, with the Scots going a bit faster in the last hours.

CNT (#5) and SG (#6), on the other hand, have already lost a lot of ground. Both have to step up their efforts if they want to get close to the podium. Meanwhile, there is a very close race for the remaining top 10 positions. TC (#7) currently has the best cards, followed by RKN (#8), Ukraine (#9), and BOINC.Italy (#10). The gaps between the four of them are negligible, but the dragon is speeding up rapidly.

OCN follows in #11 ahead of AMD Users (#12) and AF (#13). The Francophone Alliance currently appears to be out of form, they have never done so poorly in any discipline before. Maybe a final spurt can correct this. EVGA (#14) is not far behind them, as is 2ch (#15). It is an interesting constellation that still promises some movement.

BOINC@AUSTRALIA currently secures #16, as LITOMYSL (#17), Chinese Dreams (#18), and Meisterkuehler (#19) cannot keep up. BOINCstats has to start worrying about #20, because the Confederation (#21) is approaching slowly but steadily. BOINC Synergy (#22) and TFFE (#23) are not infinitely far behind either, but their pace is too slow at the moment. Meanwhile, UBT in #24 keeps ahead of Russia (#25) and Crystal Dream (#26).

Overall Standings
Not much has changed in the overall standings. The confusing standings at the Javelin Throw still lead to an unclear situation here. TAAT still leads ahead of P3D and RKN. SG (#4) has not make it past the Rechenkrafties yet, as they are too weak in the Cross Country.

In #5, TSBT remains in wait, followed by CNT (#6), who have not made any major blunders so far. [H] is in #7, ahead of AF (#8) and TC (#9). OCN can still enjoy #10, but will ultimately have a hard time keeping it. BOINC.Italy in #11 is just as much a threat as Ukraine (#12).

EVGA (#13) is just ahead of AMD Users (#14). Behind them is a clear gap. While it will be difficult for BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#15) to push upward, they are very busy fending off the attacks of Chinese Dream (#16), 2ch (#17), and Meisterkuehler (#18).

TFFE is still doing superbly in #19, ahead of UBT (#20), LITOMYSL (#21), BC (#22), BOINCstats (#23), and BOINC Synergy (#24). Russia (#25) and Crystal Dream (#26) round off the result.

So far, only three disciplines have started. We are eagerly waiting for the announcements that are to come over the course of the next few days as to when and where the next disciplines will take place. At least, the next javelin throw is scheduled for the day after tomorrow. This throw will show which teams have been bluffing until now.

• Is SG faltering in the Cross Country or are they lulling the competitors into a false sense of security?
  • Is TAAT the hottest gold contender this year?
  • Has P3D gambled away the javelin?

You see it remains exciting at the BOINC Pentathlon.

Yours, Jeeper

Maybe for the Sprint race (SRBase - short 5 days including bunkering), just call up our [H]-miners and be done with it ;)

Any miners out there wanting to help our [H] team? We could use all of your gpus, lol. There is some crypto to be earned but kind of small when just starting up: https://gridcoin.us/guides/whitelist.htm. Take it as a token of appreciation....

Maybe for the Sprint race (SRBase - short 5 days including bunkering), just call up our [H]-miners and be done with it ;)

Any miners out there wanting to help our [H] team? We could use all of your gpus, lol. There is some crypto to be earned but kind of small when just starting up: https://gridcoin.us/guides/whitelist.htm. Take it as a token of appreciation....
I can try with one rig I guess to see. Tried PrimeGrid earlier but it hides your progress and it turns out I had a setting wrong or something so I made us zero points :(

I can try with one rig I guess to see. Tried PrimeGrid earlier but it hides your progress and it turns out I had a setting wrong or something so I made us zero points :(
Less options to really choose from at SRBase. So, just untick the CPU work and let the GPU work flow. Set your cache to 4 days and load up as much as you can. Then disable the networking until time to drop.

1652228915822.png

1652228950341.png

1652229032519.png

Have to say, I'm a total newb at this, but I can completely understand now how Universe ran out of projects in a competition. With docker I can just spin up instance after instance of BOINC of 4 day bunkered projects. I've already got one full of projects for Numberfields to release on the 12th so I spun up a second BOINC docker on the server.

Have to say, I'm a total newb at this, but I can completely understand now how Universe ran out of projects in a competition. With docker I can just spin up instance after instance of BOINC of 4 day bunkered projects. I've already got one full of projects for Numberfields to release on the 12th so I spun up a second BOINC docker on the server.
When this is all done, you should do a step by step write-up on how to do that with Docker.

When this is all done, you should do a step by step write-up on how to do that with Docker.

I can certainly do that but I'm far from an expert with docker and using Unraid which somewhat simplifies, and adds it's own layer on top of docker by having an within the OS app store derived from docker hub, though I believe most of the principles are the same or similar.

Any recommendations on which work type to run on Einstein for specific GPUs? I thought I remember last year suggestions to run certain types of work units on certain GPUs, especially older AMD GPUs based on GCN like my RX570s.

The updated gpu einstein apps for Nvidia improves a lot from last year. The 3080Ti/3090 beats the Radeon VII from my recent memories in terms of PPD. Not sure about power efficiency though.

Before anyone gets too excited, Einstein's site has been down since soon after the announcement. Just like the other projects, you may have difficulties pulling work. Just keep that in mind.

I was able to get about 40 work units before it basically crapped out and even then it took quite a while to get those work units. However, it's been at least a couple of hours since I was able to get any more work units and even getting to the Einstein@Home website is hit or miss and mostly miss.

I guess most of the pentathletes are DDOSing the E@H server now. Not surprise it is limping...

I just wish we could get a bunch more people on Primegrid. At the moment we'd still have a chance of taking third place which would be huge but only if we could get a nice chunk of extra GPUs on it. Doubly so since a lot of people will be or are moving to the other two GPU projects coming up. It would be the perfect time to keep Primegrid going strong.

Back