SETI.Germany's 13th Annual Pentathlon (2022)

Everyone... Universe@home is announced as the Obstacle run project. You can start running work now but best if you bunkered it to release upon day one. This project requires a wingman (meaning someone has to validate your work unit to get credit). For those not familiar with tactics, it would be best to download as much work as you can early so that it increases your chances of getting validated during the event. Links updated in the first post.

Edit: If you have troubles downloading, just keep on it. A lot of people are downloading a lot of work right now to get a leg up.

Last edited:
Jeeper's (official BOINC pentathlon commentator) first commentary on the 13th annual pentathlon.

Warning: according to Jeeper, one may get crunchitis if one spent too much time on DCing.

Come in - Come closer - 30 April 2022​

It's time again, ladies and gentlemen. I'm back again and brought something special for you - yes, also for you back there. Don't look so grumpy, come closer. There is something unique here, something very special. That's right - come a little closer and let go of your doubts.

After many years of development, it's finally here, the best elixir I've ever had. This gets you going - yes, really, young lady who tries back there to hide behind Patrick from the Harz Mountains. I now present you the 13th edition. Every year it is developed further and becomes better and better.

Here it is, the elixir called Pentathlon. It gives you more energy, drives the fatigue out of rusty limbs, makes you look forward joyfully to the future, it makes you curious and keeps your mind and body young and vital. Yes, what more do you want?

You don't believe this? The number of successful treatments around the world is large. It has made the Green Planet green, weaned Scots from Whisky during the ingestion, lured Rechenkrafties out into the world, tamed Chinese dragons, and distracted Palatines from wine - and that's really hard, I can tell you. We look back on 12 successful intensive cures and everyone who took this incredible elixir was thrilled afterwards.

As always, the base consists of five ingredients. While the taste of Sprint, City Run, Cross Country, and Javelin is familiar to the numerous regular customers, mystery shrouds a new ingredient this year. The Obstacle Run will provide a very special touch, so that the taste of the elixir will change over and over again.

The various combinations on the different days will ensure special taste and effect experiences. Before long, you will be able to smell the composition of the first days.

The formula is under constant development by a large number of slaves, er, scientists, just for you, ladies and gentlemen. 24 other very special ingredients from all over the world are included at the moment - currently 22 tried and tested ones, and 2 new or retrieved. Maybe we will add some more, but only if it serves you, ladies and gentlemen.

It remains to be seen whether the strong note Planet 3DNow! will shape the taste again this year. Perhaps the color will change more to blue and yellow. At the moment, it looks like we will again do without the strong bourbon note from years past. However, there could still be one or two additions. But this way, ladies and gentlemen, you will constantly have distinctive taste experiences. Each dose will have an effect on you and it will be slightly different every day.

And all this just for you, so that you can feel and taste the perfect effect. You are probably wondering how much this incredible elixir is supposed to cost? 10 gold? 30 silver, 5 cups of Bautzner mustard, or a pack of toilet paper? No, no, no, no priceless treasures. This incredible elixir costs only your participation and attention.

What did you just ask? The man back there with the funny hat? Package leaflet? What do you want with that? We don't need it because this elixir comes unpackaged. You will feel the incredible effect if you engage with it. Side effects? Well, maybe you could become addicted. Experts call this crunchitis. But it is not that bad and does not need to be treated.

The 14-day intensive cure that is the 13th BOINC Pentathlon will start on 05 May 2022 - with a daily dose of the report, of course. Feel the effect and take part!

Your Market Crier, er, Jeeper

Something up with the Universe@home client ? I keep trying to add the project in Boinc and saying failed, try back again later.

Something up with the Universe@home client ? I keep trying to add the project in Boinc and saying failed, try back again later.
Unfortunately a lot of rigs are communicating with the server when this project was first announced two days ago. I notice this for both adding project and getting new tasks. It may take a few tries for several minutes (at least based on the past two days) to connect and/or getting some new tasks.

There are other ways to add the project to your rigs by creating a BOINCstat BAM account . I usually don't use this unless I'm facing the problem that you described above like unable to create account or adding projects. This is good if you keep having new rigs online or setup new clients and you want these rigs to have all the projects that you would like to connect.

Just signed up for a BOINC account. Will get the Unraid client pulled down and setup on the home server, plus on the gaming rig with the 5800x for a little there.
Welcome and thanks for supporting [H] team in this annual event. Be [H]ard ;)

Any question, please first explore the videos here and if cannot find the answer, please post it here and usually someone experience will be able to provide the answers.

What's the plan for Javelin?

1651652856465.png

Unfortunately a lot of rigs are communicating with the server when this project was first announced two days ago. I notice this for both adding project and getting new tasks. It may take a few tries for several minutes (at least based on the past two days) to connect and/or getting some new tasks.
Yeah I get they're overwhelmed, but I've been trying for three days now to add the project and it keeps failing. I was able to go to the website directly and add an account, but still can't add the project. Guess it's not in the cards for me this year. The very best of luck for those who can. 👍

OP has been updated. Check first post for details.
Both Cross country and Javelin Throws have been announced. Both projects have CPU and GPU work.
For now:
Leave all of your ARM processors on Universe as they won't help with these two projects.
Everyone willing to bunker should put their GPU's and CPU's to work on Numberfields though it isn't real great of a usage of the GPU's. NF's CPU work runs almost just as good. We would like the first javelin throw to be a big one. We are recommending people to add Numberfields to their bunkers if they are doing any.

Yeah I get they're overwhelmed, but I've been trying for three days now to add the project and it keeps failing. I was able to go to the website directly and add an account, but still can't add the project. Guess it's not in the cards for me this year. The very best of luck for those who can. 👍
Are you running windows and what version of BOINC do you have? If it is Windows, make sure you are running the latest version of BOINC as there was a certificate issue with older versions.

Welcome and thanks for supporting [H] team in this annual event. Be [H]ard ;)

Any question, please first explore the videos here and if cannot find the answer, please post it here and usually someone experience will be able to provide the answers.

I can't get the Unraid docker of BOINC to execute. Anyone have any experience? No log info, just get Server error and it won't run.

I can't get the Unraid docker of BOINC to execute. Anyone have any experience? No log info, just get Server error and it won't run.
I've never touched Docker so I'm of no use there.

Are you running windows and what version of BOINC do you have? If it is Windows, make sure you are running the latest version of BOINC as there was a certificate issue with older versions.
Pretty sure it was the latest, Boinc manager showed 7.16.20. Ran the check for update in Boinc and it said there was nothing newer. So I did the old uninstall / reinstall. Now it connected and is running. (and there was much rejoicing)

I've never touched Docker so I'm of no use there.

Got it figured out, mistake was trusting linuxserver repository. For those that have an unraid server. Use the Official image in Community apps. Install BOINC on a Windows Machine (You don't need to run BOINC on the windows machine but you will use BOINC here as a RDP terminal to the unraid docker to complete the setup). Use BOINC Manager to select a new computer. Add new computer by IP of server and the port number for your Boinc docker along with the RDP password setup when installing the docker. Setup the rest of BOIC according to the videos in post #3. Enjoy.

Welp that was my problem anyway, been trying to add the project for the last few days with no luck. Wish it told you that rather than just endlessly failing, now it's going through. I'm late to bunker, but I'll bring my 5600x, 5800x, and 5950x for the cause.

Welp that was my problem anyway, been trying to add the project for the last few days with no luck. Wish it told you that rather than just endlessly failing, now it's going through. I'm late to bunker, but I'll bring my 5600x, 5800x, and 5950x for the cause.
The issue was that a really old cert expired and was no longer supported. Only certain projects were effected. Some projects switched their certs and fixed it on their end. BOINC had to release a new version to fix the issue. It allegedly didn't effect Linux/MacOS/Android IIRC. But yeah, it was quite annoying. I have a netbook that hasn't been fired up for a year that had the same issue.

Good to have you on board!

Dumb question, if Linux still a better OS to be using for BOINC / F@H? I'm going to set up the server tonight, and realized that I could put a live linux distro on the headless sandy bridge also...

Dumb question, if Linux still a better OS to be using for BOINC / F@H? I'm going to set up the server tonight, and realized that I could put a live linux distro on the headless sandy bridge also...
Yes it is for the majority of projects and especially for Universe@home. It is almost twice as fast there.

For Universe@Home project, linux will be twice faster than windows. Ubuntu 20.04 is what I'm using with gilbc2.31. I think lower gilbc version will not run as fast. Let me check.

Edit: See here: https://universeathome.pl/universe/forum_thread.php?id=551&postid=4645.

Nice, and thank you! I wouldn't have thought about it but there is Ubuntu (old) on the server...

Wait TWICE?! Does it make sense to fire up a linux vm and run it through there then?

While you dont see such a large disparity between windows and linux on all projects, universe is a major exception.

An example is my 5900x was takin 1hr 45 mins in windows 10 and around 44 mins per task on new versions of Ubuntu. More than twice as fast.

Down to 3 hours before the event starts. Keep holding your bunkers until we let you know. Also, the first hour or two may be a bit bumpy as teams drop their bunkers so don't worry if things aren't going smooth.

1651713188953.png

Starting the race in 9th place. Let's see how this goes.

View attachment 470506

Starting the race in 9th place. Let's see how this goes.

Standing don't really mean much of anything at this point. If I released all my Universe bunkers I would probably have as many points registered as the whole field. Me thinks everyone is holding back hoping for the bonus day. sure makes for a quiet start to the Pent.

Jeeper's Day 1 commentary

"[H]ard|OCP ([H], #11) is approaching with big steps", really? Hmm. We shall see ;). Where are all the [H]ordes?

Day 1 - 05 May 2022 - 1st dose​

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time for the first dose. Come closer, but please do not push. There is a sip of the Pentathlon elixir for everyone. Today and tomorrow it has a strong taste of Universe@Home or Obstacle Run. This means that taste, effect, and consistency may differ today and tomorrow. It will be even more sparkling the day after tomorrow, when we add more ingredients from the Javelin or NumberFields@home. But there is still some time until then.

Obstacle Run (Universe@Home) & Overall Standings
Traditionally, the Pentathlon starts on the long track on the first day. But this year, it's not just a "plain" marathon. No, this year, the chemists have created something new in the deep cellars of the laboratories. Let's hope it isn't Frankenstein...

The new obstacles can easily become a catapult for the teams if they play their cards cleverly. Since the days for the extra boost are only announced on the day itself, the teams have to be wide awake and not shoot their powder in the wrong place. Those who act cleverly will quickly be able to outsmart the competition.

There is no bonus today, but this does not stop Planet 3DNow! (P3D) from going off like a rocket. The Green Planet has taken a clear lead, followed by TeAm AnandTech (TAAT), who were P3D's main rival already last year.

Surprisingly well out of the starting blocks came SETI.Germany (SG, #3), who even managed to build a cushion on Rechenkraft.net (RKN, #4), L'Alliance Francophone (AF, #5), and Team China (TC, #6). But let's not forget that there is still a long way to go and we have not even finished a sprint distance yet.

While some gaps already seem large, do not forget, ladies and gentlemen, that the bonus days can and certainly will shake things up. In #7, Ukraine also got off to an excellent start, but is slowly coming under pressure from the Czech National Team (CNT, #8). An overtaking maneuver could happen any time.

Crunching@EVGA (EVGA, #10) just had to let Meisterkuehler (#9) fly by. The ice-cooled ones have just made a fierce intermediate sprint and thus gained a place. It could get even worse for EVGA: [H]ard|OCP ([H], #11) is approaching with big steps. BOINC.Italy (#12) also started well and was even able to overtake The Scottish Boinc Team (TSBT, #13). The Scots, last year's bronze medalists, are far from their form back then. It remains to be seen whether this is tactics or weakness.

In #14, we find the AMD Users, who have to keep Team 2ch (2ch, #15) at bay. Behind them is a small gap to the UK BOINC Team (UBT, #16). The Brits are in a close fight with BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#17) and Overclock.net (OCN, #18). In #19, we find The Final Front Ear (TFFE), a newcomer to the Pentathlon. They are still trying to keep up with the trio in front of them. At least they pushed BOINCstats down to #20 and also left BOINC Synergy (#21) behind.

It is a dreamlike situation behind those teams. However, Chinese Dream (#22) has a slight advantage and can still keep Crystal Dream (#23) behind. Both are almost in step. A long duel could be in the offing here. Russia in #24, LITOMYSL (#25), and BOINC Confederation (BC, #26) complete the field.

The long track is still only a few hours old and it remains to be seen how the late starters position themselves. It will also get interesting when the first extra boost is ignited. We still do not know when and how strong. And so questions remain:

• Is P3D shooting their powder too early?
  • Has TSBT run out of single malt?
  • Can RKN get a sniff at some precious metal?

You see it remains exciting at the BOINC Pentathlon.

Yours, Jeeper

[Based on stats at 11:00 UTC]

Hm... My main system went to sleep last night for the first time in a long while... I guess Boinc didn't keep it up. I think I have every sleep/hibernate option off now, we'll see! That's another Ryzen 7 / 1080ti in the mix. Does Boinc even use the video card? I feel like it doesn't.

Last edited:
Only BOINC gpu tasks available in Einstein, MW, PG, etc will use your video card if you elect to run gpu tasks.

Gotcha. Well, I guess I will save some electricity for a couple of weeks!

Gotcha. Well, I guess I will save some electricity for a couple of weeks!
If you want to bunker, PrimeGrid has GPU tasks. Just make sure to change your project preferences so that it doesn't also download CPU work. You want the CPU on the other projects...
1651763998184.png

Or if you are going with set and forget, just set it up to run now until the 14th.

Yeah, I was going to Ron Popeil that #$*^. My HOA has been infected by a useless whining backstabber who caused so much drama our management service gave us 60 days to find a new one. I'm swamped right now. And the streets need asphalt maintenance, the pool needs resealing, trying not to raise dues, customers suck.

OK, done with the pity party, let's get at 'er! Can I run 2 instances of Boinc so that I'm doing Universe on CPU, Prime on GPU?

Yeah, I was going to Ron Popeil that #$*^. My HOA has been infected by a useless whining backstabber who caused so much drama our management service gave us 60 days to find a new one. I'm swamped right now. And the streets need asphalt maintenance, the pool needs resealing, trying not to raise dues, customers suck.

OK, done with the pity party, let's get at 'er! Can I run 2 instances of Boinc so that I'm doing Universe on CPU, Prime on GPU?

Multiple instances is a thing. You on linux or windows?

motqalden is pretty good with multiple instances and questions so I will let him defer. Multiple instances would be less overhead than utilizing a VM but if it ends up being too much to figure out, just run the CPU work in a VM and the GPU on the core OS client.

Super simple to set up multiple instances. You can load up one with GPU work and turn off the network to that one instance while loading up another with CPU work on another project and control the network activity separately on that instance.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/guide-setting-up-multiple-boinc-instances.1628924/

I've had some issues with an instance glitching but rerunning the batch file usually resolves it super quick and no lost work units.

Super simple to set up multiple instances. You can load up one with GPU work and turn off the network to that one instance while loading up another with CPU work on another project and control the network activity separately on that instance.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/guide-setting-up-multiple-boinc-instances.1628924/

I've had some issues with an instance glitching but rerunning the batch file usually resolves it super quick and no lost work units.
I'll add that if you are running an instance and max it out at ~1,000 WU's and it completes before you want to turn on networking you can start a second or third, etc., and run the same project adding another 1,000 units each.

For those of you with fast gaming machines who want to contribute but need to hold off submitting the completed work until the "right" time adding instances can help you contribute more work in the same projects.

Back