SETI.Germany's 12th Annual BOINC Pentathlon (2021)

Honest truth, I'll be glad when this one is over. I wish they scheduled these events in Northern hemisphere winter. It has been warming up in my region and yesterday was downright uncomfortable in the shack.

I hear that! it was sunny and 70f here yesterday but it was probably 90f in my house and I was not happy about it :p

Honest truth, I'll be glad when this one is over. I wish they scheduled these events in Northern hemisphere winter. It has been warming up in my region and yesterday was downright uncomfortable in the shack.
I know the feeling. It's normally a bit warmer around here than it was for the last week+ and so the a/c didn't need to be turned on yet. There were a couple of warmer days which made temps somewhat unpleasant in the room. This is what allowed me to run everything 100%, though. If it had gotten to the point of needing to turn on the a/c I would have had to back off what I was doing.

Reactions: EXT64
like this
Additionally if you have any Javelins , aka MIPS you can throw them now. I wouldn't worry about running it though so focus on Sidock for the remainder we should have plenty of points saved up for the last Javelin and if not then a few of us have it covered. There is gonna be some big Javs later on tonight that are gonna be chucked.

Reactions: EXT64
like this
Well we are pretty sure that Linus Tech Tips is gonna pass us in Javelin as they only need to get higher than 11.1 million and that is the best we can get in Jav . This would tie us with RFN for 7th with 288 but we would actually be in 8th because they beat us in 3 of 5 events (just like last year we tied them in points but lost to them and they got 9th to our 10th)
So to remain in 7th LTT has to either flub their javelin or we somehow need to pass the Czechs in SIDock. neither seem terribly likely but you never know!

Any way this shakes out however an 8th is better than our effort last year of 10th. 7th would be pretty sweet so keep that SIDock going as it is our only hope that we can sort of control

Great to see you guys showing up to support the team (y)

It's a once a year event and the date is easy to remember. 5/5 is the date of the pentathlon, in case no one is aware why this event always starts on 5/5 of each year for the past 12 years.

The other possible scenario would be if Czech National Team throws in Javelin again and RFN decides not to throw (seems unlikely but also possible) and also RFN needs to NOT pass L'Alliance Francophone in Sidock. They need to make up quite a bit there so that seems unlikely

IF LTT , RFN and CNT all throw their best in Javelin then our only hope is to pass CNT in Sidock

Does Kyle even know that we are still doing this shit? lol

He is aware and supportive of the team in a very hands off manner ;) . He even begrudgingly lets us make T-Shirts with the [H] logo from time to time. Back in the day they used to post weekly reminders to Join the [H] Folding@home team which is what got me interested in joining the team. I think he only gets upset if we start spamming all over the forum too much lol.

There also used to be a thing where if you got 100m points in F@home you could get a free lifetime Genmay which is how i got mine :D not sure if that is still a thing

There also used to be a thing where if you got 100m points in F@home you could get a free lifetime Genmay which is how i got mine :D not sure if that is still a thing
Getting DCer of the Month would also get you a lifetime Genmay sub. That's how I ended up with one.

I'm also hoping we see a decent bump in SiDock. I almost swapped from NFS to SiDock a day or two early. It wasn't looking good to be able to gain a spot in SiDock while we were in good shape for holding the spot we did have. In SiDock we were looking at possibly losing a place but with some extra effort had a chance of gaining a spot with much of many of the teams efforts spend on NFS. If I hadn't bunkered a couple of days worth of NFS work units on my 2600x and 5800x I would have swapped early.

I didn't even try to do MIPS because for some reason since getting my 5800x I've had every single one I've tried error out. Nothing else has problems and all stability and stress tests have passed with flying colors so I'm not sure what the issue is there. I wouldn't have minded helping for this last throw except for that. Another issue with MIPS is something I brought up before. With the deadlines on those work units so long and needing a wingman it's an extremely difficult project to use for Javelin Throw. If you hadn't bunkered the work units several days in advance it would be mostly useless to try helping with it. Anything done while the Javelin Throw was active has little chance of being counted unless you get lucky with work units which were re-issued due to needing a wingman for completion.

Yeah we were really not expecting or hoping for anyone to run MIPS because you need to (Try) to control the points to make your 3 best throws as equal as possible or you waste points. A couple of us were doing it alone basically for the most part. I spent 12 days out of the comp crunching nothing but MIPS on my CPU's

In Hindsight there were a few places where we could have done better and we kind of messed up on our second Javelin throw. Also we only just barely lost 6th place in Einstein which would have put us ahead of RFN. bunkering one day earlier to get higher validation on tasks their would have helped. I also had a couple nights where one or 2 rigs with Radeon VII's went down and that right there would have made the difference had they stayed up. Its not all over yet though! still some chances to remain in 7th

In Hindsight there were a few places where we could have done better and we kind of messed up on our second Javelin throw. Also we only just barely lost 6th place in Einstein which would have put us ahead of RFN. bunkering one day earlier to get higher validation on tasks their would have helped. I also had a couple nights where one or 2 rigs with Radeon VII's went down and that right there would have made the difference had they stayed up. Its not all over yet though! still some chances to remain in 7th
Yeah, the validation on Einstein also hit me. I think I had 150-180 work units that didn't validate until after the run was over. It obviously wouldn't have been enough to tip anything but it would have helped. But, that's how it goes. Depending on the project some of the last work units you run tend to not get validated in time. I had the same issue with NFS. I didn't check it right before the deadline but I probably had 300-500 work units which didn't hit until after the deadline. That said, in both cases the same thing happened to all the teams so it probably evens out in the end.

It's one reason I swapped from Primegrid to Einstein a bit early. I wanted to get some work bunkered in the beginning plus the fact that some older Radeon cards tended to do better on Einstein and the RX570 is the only GPU I have to run them. In a way it's a pity my son is leaving for a float trip later this week. If it had been a week or so earlier I could have taken over his 2600x and RX570. :D

And in the end it's all about some fun competition while getting some science done.

yeah, I had that too, I think there is another tier of genmay now you have to pay for, gets you soapbox or something

We passed CNT in Sidock@home an update or two ago! This will likely get us to 6th on the standings if we can hold it! Everyone make sure you keep your Sidock at max output.
An exciting finish to the Pent as always.(y)(y)

Well 6th at best if we can hold onto that very slim lead and LTT is likely to beat us in javelin throw. :(

CNT might have a bunker but you never know till the finishing line which will then push us back to 8th

If anyone has a Ryzen 3000 and up, it can finish a sidock task in less than 5.5hrs with HT off or running at 50% cpu load. Now is the time to run one last batch of tasks. Not sure about intel xxx lake series.

I'm sure many [H] members have one of this bad boys sitting idle and not doing anything. Please see my post here to join.

The race is so close so any contributions are welcome.

Thanks!

If anyone has a Ryzen 3000 and up, it can finish a sidock task in less than 5.5hrs with HT off or running at 50% cpu load. Now is the time to run one last batch of tasks. Not sure about intel xxx lake series.

I'm sure many [H] members have one of this bad boys sitting idle and not doing anything. Please see my post here to join.

The race is so close so any contributions are welcome.

Thanks!
You Ryzen 3000 peasants with your 5.5 hour processing time with only running half the threads. I sit here with my 5800x running all 16 threads and crunching through them in 4-5 hours each. :p

Too bad I got sick of waiting for a 5900x at retail prices and settled for the 5800x. Otherwise I could be running 24 of these long ass work units simultaneously. May product shortages burn in the special Hell with child molesters and people who talk in the theater.

What's the deal with HT though? I have mine on, takes 5 hrs per task.

The idea is that HT is not usually 100% efficient so if you don't think you can complete your tasks before the end with HT on then turning it off and running half as many tasks that might complete is better than running more than wont' complete in time.

We passed CNT in Sidock@home an update or two ago! This will likely get us to 6th on the standings if we can hold it! Everyone make sure you keep your Sidock at max output.
An exciting finish to the Pent as always.(y)(y)
Good Job all! It is still pretty close

The idea is that HT is not usually 100% efficient so if you don't think you can complete your tasks before the end with HT on then turning it off and running half as many tasks that might complete is better than running more than wont' complete in time.
Yep, as we're getting down to the wire, running only half the threads should push all work units on full cores with nothing extra trying to claim those resources speeding up their processing. For some this will allow them to finish extra work units and turn them in before the deadline.

You Ryzen 3000 peasants with your 5.5 hour processing time with only running half the threads. I sit here with my 5800x running all 16 threads and crunching through them in 4-5 hours each.
ooops, my fault. I totally forgot my time is based on running the 3950x at 3.5GHz. :banghead:

with the last update CNT is narrowed a 20k gap down to 7k! The next update is going to be a nail biter . 😰

HAH! I think we got 'em boys

dropped to 6th overall though, as predicted, I guess that Linus guy is kind of a big deal these days...

Last edited:
HAH! I think we got 'em boys

dropped to 6th overall though, as predicted, I guess that Linus guy is kind of a big deal these days...

I really really hope so. Not much left we can do at this point. I will have a couple dozen more work units that will complete in time I think.

I have 29 work units pending validation yet. Hopefully most or all of those will drop in less than two hours. Another 18-20 work units will probably be uploaded before the deadline but it's unlikely they'll be validated in time. But, you never know.

My last 7 work units all show between 3 and 4 hours remaining. Guess those last few will not make the cut. Still going to let them finish though.

My last 7 work units all show between 3 and 4 hours remaining. Guess those last few will not make the cut. Still going to let them finish though.
Maybe, maybe not. In every case SiDock work units on my 2600x and 5800x show a much longer remaining time than what actually happens. Once the work units get to 67%-70% they usually end up being completed. I have a few reaching that point on my 5800x right now and they show 2.5-3 hours to completion. I expect them to be finished in 15-30 minutes.

It looks like we increased our very slim lead over CNT by just a little bit more at around 23k points. Here's to hoping that keeps up for the final hour which we are on now.

Back