SETI.Germany's 12th Annual BOINC Pentathlon (2021)

The admin of SiDock has stated that he has changed the deadlines for work units now to just 2 days. So, don't get over anxious on bunkers just yet. He plans on keeping these short for the duration of the Pentathlon which will make things a little more interesting for those that bunker a ton on the side as "extra" in case their other projects run out.

Ouch - those old X5650's are very power hungry. lol

Got SiDock setup in my client. Let it get a set of work units just to see how it will do. Looks like about 6:45 per WU on here. It ain't got nothing on what many of you have but with just having moved the shop it is about all I can toss at it for this and during the day when I am working I'll have to shut it down. Factory water cooled Precision T7910... At the below load it is kicking the radiator fans up a notch or two. :)

Since only two days are allowed I'll reset it in a couple of days to bunker some work.

boinc.jpg

Ouch - those old X5650's are very power hungry. lol
Yes they certainly are, but I figured they will be ok for a couple of weeks. An extra 24threads for a good cause. Now to just figure out why the G34 box only wants to effectively use 16 of the 32 cores....

For those new to MIP work units, they are hard on the L3 cache of the CPU. General rule of thumb is that they want ~5MB per work unit before you see a loss of performance due to the CPU constantly waiting for L3 to free up. Most people run a mix of work so that they get better results but in a challenge where only MIP is desired, you are kinda hosed. So, if you are bunkering now, you can load up all MIP but once the SiDock start date hits, you may want another instance or a VM to mix some SiDock work into.

For Sidock, watch out for intermittent "no task" available as of 10:01pm PT. It will normally replenish within the next few hours. Probably ok for most rigs unless you have superfast, SMT disabled, highly overclock system.

1620018227783.png

See green "rts" - ready to send. Task availability mimic saw tooth pattern. Right now it is zero and new tasks will be generated in the next few hours, hopefully.
1620018350874.png

I think I'm ready. I assigned it all 48 cores but limited it to 90% for host overhead.
1620144439213.png

1620144345064.png

yeah, I start suspending individual units here in a couple hours as my feeble, noob bunkering attempt

yeah, I start suspending individual units here in a couple hours as my feeble, noob bunkering attempt
I might have misunderstood what you're doing, but if you're suspending Sidock before the tasks finish, make sure you have 'Leave non-GPU tasks in memory while suspended' checkmarked in your BOINC preferences(I don't have BOINC in front of me but I think it's under the disk tab). If Sidock is suspended before it finishes without that checkmarked you lose all the task progress since it doesn't have checkpoints.

honestly there is only a few hours to go so not really worth bunkering at this point.

Good I think mine worked out. When it added all of them for the new cores, they were all 20+ hours out. I assumed I didn't need to do anything else.
Simply letting it run is just fine. Even if you somehow manage to complete some work prior to the event launch a portion of it will go into "pending" and then get validated later after the contest starts (and count towards contest points)

From that page you can click on an individual team to get a bunch of other charts that show takeover plotting and other good stuff.

City run PrimeGrid starts on May 8
Thanks for the heads up. I got the post updated to reflect it.

Everyone, keep in mind that PrimeGrid has both CPU and GPU tasks. Plan your strategy accordingly by only selecting the work unit types you want to run so that you can still help out elsewhere per your plans.

The "City Run" event has been announced
This will be Primegrid as the project and the dates are as follows:
Start: 08 May 2021 00:00 UTC
End: 13 May 2021 00:00 UTC

If you haven't already you will want to sign up for primegrid here: https://www.primegrid.com/
Then make sure to add yourself to the team: [H]ard|OCP
Edit your preferences as described below and then lastly you will add the primegrid project to your BOINC client.
Last but not least keep in mind that this will run your GPU a lot harder than gaming (100% load ) so you will want to keep an eye on temperatures. I typically set a power limit so that things don't' get too hot of around 60% power target. You can certainly feel free to go higher or lower as you desire and temperatures allow but I would monitor it for the first few tasks to see how hot it gets for you. My 3080 for example gets into mid 60c at 65% power target

There is no stipulation on which primegrid subproject you need to run here but its really only worthwhile to be running this on your GPU's. Also while this doesn't officially kick off for the next 2 days 7 hours this project is slow to validate work so if you start now you should have a good amount of work that is tied up in pending status waiting to validate and have a higher chance of being counted within the contest period. So simply put no need to bunker this but starting early is a big advantage.

Now in terms of the subproject that i recommend i would suggest "WW" also known as "Wieferich and Wall-Sun-Sun Prime Search"
If you edit your primegrid preferences you can set it to not run on CPU and then only select the appropriate "GPU" flag for your particular video card. Doing this will ensure that primegrid only runs the GPU on your rig and that leaves you free to continue running SIDock CPU tasks at the same time!

Once you have signed up for the primegrid project if you go to the "My Account" page on the site you can go to "primegrid preferences" and edit your default preferences to set this up.

In the upper part of the preferences you want to make sure "CPU" is unchecked and then to check the appropriate GPU type for your rig (AMD or NVIDIA) like this:

455113_1620233088273.png

Then lower down is where you select the project so here is an example of selecting it to run on NVIDIA GPU's only. I would double check that you don't have checkmarks in any other sub projects besides this one and that you don't have a check to allow work from other subprojects if there is no work.

455118_1620233490407.png

Other than WW subproject you can also run PPS Sieve as it is also another GPU project that scores very high points, but I think most people are gonna pick WW.

Once this is done and primegrid is added to your BOINC client the last thing is to make sure that your BOINC client setting allow GPU work to run.
Let me know if anyone has questions on this. I am already setup and processing WW work since about 30 minutes ago and most of it is in my pending so I hope to have a good head start on this.

Jeepers wrap up of day one: https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/list/category/3-BOINC-Pentathlon

Day 1 - 05 May 2021 - Off of the starting blocks​

Do you know the feeling when you can finally enjoy something which you had missed for an eternity? The cold beer running through your throat, going for a walk for the first time after corontine, or the view at the Pentathlon charts?

It is indescribable. Everywhere I am looking into the faces of the Pentathletes which are enchanted with this incomparable sweet and fine smile. I am glad to be able to hack away at the keyboard again, and with a clear head now, energy flows through my fingers, like it does through the processor cores too.

27 teams went onto the marathon track today, which I will turn to in a minute. Team China is back on board, which I like a lot, because the red dragon is always a medal aspirant.

The next discipline is already known. Javelin Through starts tomorrow with the first throw. Those who do well here and have nerves of steel will be done with just three throws and can save power for the other disciplines. But this can backfire too. In the past years, the teams confronted us with different tactics; let's see who has got the strongest throwing arm and the best tactical skill.

Marathon (SiDock @ home) = Overall Standings
Since Marathon is still the only discipline showing on the scoreboard of this year's Pentathlon, Marathon standings and overall standings are identical. Tomorrow this may and will look different, notably due to different tactics at Javelin Throw.

Every so often during the past years, there was a team with a hell of a good start and a huge lead. But this time it's different. Planet 3DNow! (P3D) placed themselves at the top of the field. 5x Silver and 2x Gold is the track record of the Green Planet at Marathon so far, and apparently they intend to follow through again this year. But the lead is not too large, and it is possible to catch up with them.

TeAm AnandTech (TAAT) try to match the pace and are holding Silver rank. Last year they could scoop a complete set of medals in disciplines, although they left the marathon empty-handed. This seems due to be changed this year. Behind, SETI.Germany (S⁠G) are holding 3rd place. A surprisingly good start for the German team, let's see if they can keep it up.

Because danger lurks from The Scottish Boinc Team (TSBT, # 4). The sweetly smelling breath of a good single malt may already have reached SG. Does this track them on, or cloud their senses? We will see. Maybe we will have a whiskey and beer soon.

There is an already larger gap is widening behind them, which is certainly surprising. What's more, it were LinusTechTips_Team (LTT, # 5) who allowed this gap top open. Last year, Marathon with Bronze was their highlight of the Pentathlon. Now they need to be careful not to stay behind.

In LTT's slipstream, there are In Science We Trust (ISWT) running at # 6 and Czech National Team (CNT, # 7). It is still hard to tell how the rookies of ISWT will fare, whereas the Czechs were often seen in these regions of the marathon in previous years. But good to see a new team already stirring up the top ten.

There is a duel afoot about # 8. L'Alliance Francophone (L'AF, # 8) and Rechenkraft.net (RKN, # 9) are closely spaced. The pace of the duo is not sufficient to stabilize the gap in front, on the contrary. We should not count out Ukraine (# 10) and BOINC @ AUSTRALIA (# 11) here, nor Overclock.net (OCN) at # 12 and [H] ard | OCP ([H]) at # 13. Although the pace of OCN was not particularly good in the last hour, this may change any time, like [H] have shown just now, making some ground.

BOINC. Italy at # 14 look to have a little break with wine and pasta, by which Chinese Dream (# 15) apparently let infect themselves too. This is a chance for AMD Users (# 16) and Crystal Dream (# 17) to catch up and snag themselves some pasta and wine along the way. I wouldn't put it past BOINC @ Poland (# 18) to do the same, but right now I am not recognizing
sufficient motivation there.

After that, LITOMYSL (# 19) are breaking a sweat, because Meisterkühler (# 20) are stoking the boilers and are catching up, and detached from Team 2ch on # 21 too. Crunching @ EVGA (EVGA, # 22) and UK BOINC Team (UBT) on # 23 are following.

Rank 24 is secured by BOINCstats currently, followed by Team China (# 25). So far the red dragon is not very threatening, more Mushu than Smaug. This way the Chinese won't get very far in the overall standings. But perhaps Russia (# 26) can tickle the dragon to wake up. The Russian bear is still in hibernation though, and so his walk still looks quite clumsy. The last place is taken by BOINC @ Pfalz. Somehow they seem to got lost in the wine cellar.

What are the first hours telling us? Besides very well known ones, four teams seem to detach themselves from the field. The other teams have to be careful here not to miss some crucial points already early in the race. The weakness of the Chinese is still a puzzle. Even though the marathon course is still long, experience is showing that big jumps towards the end are rather rare, also considering that other disciplines will divert forces. And this is what we will see tomorrow:

- Who will let the javelin fly the furthest?
- Can P3D maintain the lead on the long distance?
- Will TSBT make it onto # 3 at the marathon with stunning tactics?

You see it remains exciting at the BOINC Pentathlon.

Yours, Jeeper

[Based on stats at 11:00 UTC]

SG pent stat has nice charts. Below is our team progression (in red) over the past 24 hrs. Keep those rigs crunching please!

1620258466038.png

Wow, you guys are killing it in the Javelin Throw! Impressive!

I'm tempted to help out, but I don't think my teammates would appreciate that too much. You guys HAVE to stay ahead of TBST! More powah!!!

Einstein@home is the City Run. For those not familiar, AMD GPU's are king here. Einstein is both CPU and GPU though depending on how you want to run it. Oh...and I popped my breaker again this morning....lovely...

For those not paying attention, we are currently in 5th place. This doesn't mean that we are kicking ass compared to the competition though. This means there are still bunkers being held onto and resources being allocated. The javelin throws takes the combined score of the best 3 throws out of five so we could still lose our standing pretty easy depending on how the other teams strategize. So, we have to stay on top of it.

For those with Android devices, Einstein supports those.
Einstein also supports work units for Intel iGPU's, so make sure to add those into the mix.
Gamma Ray work units want 1 CPU thread for each GPU work unit.
Binary Radio work units want .5 CPU threads for each GPU work unit.

Last edited:
For those helping the team in javelin (WCG MIP project), please take note of the WCG server maintenance downtime starting tomorrow Friday at 14:00 UTC or 7am/11am PT/ET.

Planned Maintenance on Friday, May 7white.gif

5 May 2021

Summary

We are updating the operating system on our servers on Friday, May 7, beginning at 14:00 UTC.

We will be applying an important operating system update to our servers on Friday, May 7, beginning at 14:00 UTC. We anticipate that the work will take approximately four hours.
During some of this time, volunteers will not be able to upload or download new work, and the website will not be accessible.
Volunteers will not need to take any particular action, as your devices will automatically retry their connections after the maintenance work is completed.
We appreciate your patience and participation.

Jeeper's Day Two daily update. I hilited any mention of [H] in bold red

Day 2 - 06 May 2021 - The first throw​

The first day on the Marathon course lies behind our Pentathletes. Not just the legs are hurting already, the arms will be heavily exerted too today, and meanwhile, the tactician's heads are spinning. Because the next two disciplines have been scheduled in the meantime.

The City Run in prime number land at PrimeGrid, and the Cross Country track at Einstein@Home are posing an interesting challenge. Both disciplines need to be played with similar equipment, and such may become tactically compelling. But we still have got some time until then.

Javelin Throw (WCG - Microbiome Immunity Project)
The first throw is underway and it seems that P3D are already putting their full force behind it. A clear lead is the current result. Though I want to remind you, my faithful readers, that the day is not over yet at all. TAAT are currently occupying #2, followed by [H] at #3. It is not yet possible to tell if the duo already put full force into the throw, but it indeed appears likely.

After them, RKN really mean business, #5 currently is a really good halftime standing. Yet just having been #4, the Rechenkrafters had to witness how quickly the tide can turn: CNT pulled past onto #4 with a powerful throw. TSBT (#6) and SG (#7) could still extract more performance. Both teams are finding themselves at less than familiar rankings, and it looks like there is still some tactical manoeuvring going on here.

Once the top candidate for victory at WCG, 2ch are finding themselves at #8. Although, after the results of the previous few years, even this would be a success. One which Chinese Dream (#9) are bent on spoiling, matching every move of the Japanese. Next up, a trio of comparable strength appears to crystallize with LITOMYSL (#10), BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#11), and AF (#12). The distances are small, which promises suspenseful days ahead. However: Who loses ground here today might yet regret it.

Behind them, either a four-fight or two duels might emerge. We will know more probably no sooner than tomorrow. Just a few credits are separating Ukraine (#13) and OCN (#14), with Meisterkühler (#15) and LTT (#16) still being in striking distance. I am curious about the eventual outcome here.

A true pentathlon on its own has started at the next ranks, at which ISWT (#19) is now in danger of getting overrun. The scientists are a challenge for the competitors because they are still hard to assess at this time. But the AMD Users (#17), Team China (#18), BOINC.Italy (#20), and EVGA (#21) are not willing to go easy on the newcomer. Team China's moving
rather hesitantly here is putting up question marks too.

BOINCstats and BOINC@Poland are fighting for #22 right now, who were able to get away from their pursuers. Behind them, what was a duel just turned into a three-cornered battle. Crystal Dreams catapulted themselves to #24, leaving UBT (#25) and Russia (#26) in awe.

Marathon (SiDock@home)
P3D uphold their speed and try to secure Gold early. TAAT are not able to keep up with this pace now, but can ensure #2. After them, SG are more and more breaking into a sweat. The Teutons are still holding #3, but TSBT are approaching slowly but steadily. SG urgently need to move up a gear, otherwise Bronze will be difficult to get.

LTT continue to go very strongly and are securing #5. ISWT at #6 lost contact, and it remains to be seen whether they can make a return or if danger is coming up from behind, where AF (#7) and CNT (#8) are putting up an exciting duel. Will this fight heat further up such that both teams reach ISWT? We will see.

The battle for the top ten is still undecided. RKN are bravely holding #9, but danger is afoot. BOINC@AUSTRALIA, currently at rank 10, and [H] (#11) are approaching. We seem to have a cheerful trio here which will bring us some really exciting days yet. Behind, we find two teams who have lost ground somewhat during the past hours and were not able to cling on to BOINC@AUSTRALIA and [H]. It's two places down for Ukraine, now rank 12, and one down for OCN who ended up at rank 13 for now.

It may be reassuring to both that BOINC.Italy (#14) are apparently still occupied with wine and pasta; the delicious meal seems more interesting than the pacey run on the long haul. The field after them is reordering itself too. BOINC.Italy are seriously in danger and eventually need to put up a defense against the pushy crowds from behind. AMD Users (#15) are pressing onward first, with Crystal Dreams (#16) working their way forward in the wake.

2ch won four places and conquered #17 this way. The Japanese could overtake the Meisterkühlers (#18) too, who in turn gained two ranks, to the disadvantage of among else BOINC@Poland who are left at rank 19. It went even worse for Chinese Dream (#20). Their loss mounted up to five places, and now LITOMYSL (#21) is becoming a threat too. Afterwards there are no changes from yesterday, and therefore I am taking a look at the new overall standings.

Overall standings
The state of the overall standings needs to be taken with a grain of salt of course. The first attempt at Javelin Throw is still leaving open questions, such that there are still a lot of possibilities for movements in the field.

At present, P3D are leading the field, but TAAT are still keeping contact. The fight for Bronze is a closer one. SG are only narrowly holding the bronze rank ahead of TSBT, but might still advance at the Javelin. Though the same is true for the Scots. Not far behind are [H] (#5), whose deficit is remarkably small. The so far weak Marathon is costing at least one rank here. CNT are finding themselves at #6 but did not present any outliers yet, neither up nor down. The Czechs need to show more if they want to go for a medal in the overall standings.

RKN are valiantly holding rank 7, followed by AF at #8. BOINC@AUSTRALIA and LTT are occupying #9 together, whilst LTT are profiting from a strong Marathon. Next are ISWT and 2ch level on points (#11), and the Ukraine (#13). A nice trio we have got there. Undisturbed, OCN are watching the trio's row from back at #14. Chinese Dream (#15) are profiting from a good first javelin throw. Time will tell if they can uphold it.

The distances at the following ranks are so narrow that changes may happen every hour. At the moment, LITOMYSL are holding #16, followed by AMD Users (#17), Meisterkühler (#18), and BOINC.Italy (#19). Only here follows a small gap. Crystal Dream (#20) and BOINC@Poland (#21) have good results in the Marathon so far but suffer losses at the Javelin. This highlights the potential but also the danger. Merely at #22 we are finding Team China who left too many points at the Marathon.

EVGA at #23 may yet threaten the Chinese by means of stable results. Whether this may also be true with BOINCstats (#24), UBT (#25), Russia (#26), and BOINC@Pfalz (#27) remains to be seen.

An exciting second day is continuing. There is still a lot open and unclear, and a lot of questions present themselves.

- May SG hold on to #3 overall?
- Can TAAT stop the Green Planet?
- Will CNT still catch [H] at the Javelin?

Yours, Jeeper

[Based on stats at 12:00 UTC]

Y'all gonna make us at TAAT work for Silver at the Javelin I see. :D Great to see you guys kicking some ass this year! Just wish it wasn't mine, lol.

I can answer the 2nd question above....at the marathon and the Javelin, no way in hell TAAT is going to stop the Green Planet! Good to see them doing so well this year. The two GPU events may knock them down a bit though, we shall see!

Last edited:
Y'all gonna make us at TAAT work for Silver at the Javelin I see. :D Great to see you guys kicking some ass this year! Just wish it wasn't mine, lol.

I can answer the 2nd question above....at the marathon and the Javelin, no way in hell TAAT is going to stop the Green Planet! Good to see them doing so well this year. The two GPU events may knock them down a bit though, we shall see!

Yeah if you base things off how they performed in FB earlier this year then TSBT is gonna own them in cityrun and cross country. I think especially in cross country.

Also the first javelin throw tis but a fart in the wind and we don't really know what it means till a few more attempts.

Jeeper's Day 3 daily update. I hilited any mention of [H] in bold red

Day 3 - 07 May 2021 - It's so calm around here...​

Today is a day to take a breath and enjoy the quiet. OK, this is going to work only if you ignore the roaring of the cooling fans, or go for a step outside for once. But who wants that? Outside it's either too warm or too cold, there are pollen everywhere, and various creatures – little ones and big ones, sometimes with, sometimes without mask. Well, hooray for the Pentathlon - it is keeping us fresh and alert without having to move even by one millimeter. OK, some physical exercise is always good, the German beer, French champagne, or Scottish single malt must not get stale and need to be emptied.

Javelin Throw (WCG - Microbiome Immunity Project)
The first throw is done. But taking a rest is out of the question because the next one is scheduled for tomorrow. Most teams will show their true capability tomorrow at the latest. Although it is possible to defer participation in this contest until Monday, it would be very, very risky.

For now, P3D took hold of the best starting position. The lead is significant and a real challenge for TSBT (#2) and TAAT (#3). Especially the Scots were able to show their potential towards the end, and perhaps their aspiration to more. [H] are currently in #4 but it will get tough to improve or even to hold on to this rank. RKN (#5) may not be the main challenger, but rather CNT (#6) and SG (#7). Both teams probably still have a few long javelins in reserve.

2ch are securing #8 for now, ahead of AF (#9) and Chinese Dream (#10). The Chinese speared themselves a great starting point and created a headache for LITOMYSL (#11), BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#12) and LTT (#13). In theory, each of the follow-up teams may still make a far leap ahead. Tomorrow we may see more. The AMD Users (#14) threw only a little further than Ukraine (#15). And what ISWT (#16) are capable of still remains in the dark.

Meisterkühler in #17 and behind them OCN (#18) are not far away, and actually EVGA (#19) and Team China (#20) are still in the race too. BOINC.Italy are merely found in #21. The Italians are not moving very fast in the Marathon either; is this hinting at a hidden strategy? We have formerly seen BOINC@Poland (#22) further in front too, let's see if they are playing poker here as well. BOINCstats (#23), UBT (#24), Crystal Dream (#25), Russia (#26), and Pfalz (#27) however need to step up their game considerably.

Marathon (SiDock@home)
P3D continue to lead the field on the long distance track. The Green Planet seems to have signed up for especially fast green electricity, perhaps atomic power, otherwise the output wouldn't be as stable. There are no signs of any brownout in their stats. TAAT are still holding #2 but lost some speed. In regard to their current pace, TAAT, SG (#3) and TSBT (#4) are almost on equal footing. The course is still long and the distances between the teams not too large. The fight for Silver and Bronze has fully heated up now.

Meanwhile LTT are securing #5, because neither ISWT (#6), AF (#7), nor CNT (#8) are able to follow but are mostly occupied with themselves. Especially the battle between the Alliance and the Czechs is going to delight our cruncher's heart. Perhaps [H] (#10) will manage to catch up yet. The gap is small and they have almost caught up with RKN (#9), so anything is possible. This would also be applicable to BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#11) but the pace of the kangaroos is too slow for that.

Attention should rather be paid to Ukraine (#12), who are keeping up at least. To their advantage they are not pressed hard from behind, because neither OCN (#13), Crystal Dream (#14), BOINC.Italy (#15), nor AMD Users (#16) are fast enough. Crystal Dream accelerated though and advanced in the ranking.

Place 17 is currently booked for 2ch, followed by the Meisterkühlers who need to take care of BOINC@Poland (#19). The cool ones are presumably prioritizing the other disciplines but have to take care not to lose too much ground at the marathon. EVGA are stepping up their pace and reached #20 now. Chinese Dream (#21) and LITOMYSL (#22) do not appear to want to match the pace and are thereby drifting into the crosshairs of UBT (#23). BOINCstats (#24), Team China (#25), Russia (#26), and Pfalz (#27) are following.

Overall standings
P3D are still rushing ahead in the overall standings, but this could look differently already tomorrow. TAAT lost some points and are narrowly holding #2. TSBT placed in #3 now and relegated SG to #4 thanks to a good Javelin. SG appear to operate in no man's land now, but I am still expecting something from Javelin, and then the world will look smaller once again.

At the next ranks, is there a four- or five-cornered or even larger fight happening? [H] in #5 only hold a small advantage over RKN and CNT (both #6), and AF (#8) and LTT (#9) are not far away either. Behind, ISWT (#10) and BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#11) are lying in ambush and are waiting for the others to blunder. The dozen is complete with 2ch, followed by Ukraine in #13. The proverbial sheet of paper is hardly fitting between AMD Users (#14), OCN (#15), and Chinese Dream (#16), and LITOMYSL (#17) may yet meet up with this illustrious troupe too.

To accomplish the same, Meisterkühler (#18) and BOINC.Italy (#19) would need to stretch mightily. We may believe in more coming from these teams than they are currently showing. Next, Crystal Dream are holding #20, just narrowly ahead of EVGA. BOINC@Poland (#22) and Team China (#23) are following and leave UBT (#24) and BOINCstats (#24) behind. Russia (#26) and Pfalz (#27) are concluding the field.

The second Javelin Throw and the start of City Run should rearrange tomorrow's overall standings a lot. SG will pin their hope on tomorrow, whereas fears of a drought are worrying the green Planet. Let's see which questions can be answered tomorrow:

- Can SG win at the City Run?
- May TAAT hold #2 at the Marathon?
- Will CNT attack at Javelin Throw?

Yours, Jeeper

[Based on stats at 11:00 UTC]

City run event is in effect. If you have PrimeGrid work bunkered, let it drop.

Back