SETI.Germany's 11 Annual BOINC Pentathlon (2020)

Amicable uses 8gb no problem. I can move DDR3 around to run a 750ti but I would have to stop doing Rosetta to run both 750ti machines for Amicable numbers. My main computer is a 3600x with 16gb of ram and 2 1070s. Its doing the most work with Rosetta now so I would have to go down to 2-4 WU at a time instead of 12 to keep the computer happy while in use. Due to power supplies, I can't move video cards around or id throw a 1070 in the other machine.

/edit. 16gb of DDR4 will be here tomorrow sometime. Lets see if we find any Amicable numbers in my bank account when this is all said and done.

Last edited:
Ibercivis has been chosen for the sprint which will be the 16th - 19th. Horrible choice in my opinion but it is what it is. Right now you have to manually attach hosts because it isn't yet in BAM.

Since Ibercivis isn't in BAM yet and it can really suck to have to manually log into each client multiple times, here is a video showing you a quick way to do it. However it does require closing boinc and starting it again. So, if you are running CLI, you would want to keep that in mind.

Should I pull anything off Rosetta for this or keep doing what I have been? I don't know how the overall score works to decide which is more important. Learned a bit about RAM adding 2 more 8s for Amicable, and also saw what 2133 mhz does to a 3600x (it stinks!). CMD 2T FTW!

Should I pull anything off Rosetta for this or keep doing what I have been? I don't know how the overall score works to decide which is more important. Learned a bit about RAM adding 2 more 8s for Amicable, and also saw what 2133 mhz does to a 3600x (it stinks!). CMD 2T FTW!

motqalden pututu ideas for this guy?

I think better to stick to the project you know and are running . word is this new project is a PITA

Or just add it and run both. Might be easier on the system overall due to less need for RAM.

32gb in the 3600x and 24 in the 4770 to handle amicable and rosetta. I keep 4 threads available since the 4770 isn't mine, so its 4 threads for rosetta like the 4670s. The 4670s/750ti is doing rosetta and gpugrid due to 8gb of ram.

32gb in the 3600x and 24 in the 4770 to handle amicable and rosetta. I keep 4 threads available since the 4770 isn't mine, so its 4 threads for rosetta like the 4670s. The 4670s/750ti is doing rosetta and gpugrid due to 8gb of ram.
After amicable race ends, we might need help on numberfields which is the last javelin throw on May 18 00:00 UTC (May 17, 5pm PDT). You can run numberfields on both CPU and GPU and start bunkering after amicable ends. Thanks!

Sounds good, I'll watch the video on bunkering again, but I have the idea down already at least:)

LOL, doesn't that sort of scheming happen every Pent/sprint/competition?

Amicable project has no work (rts = ready to send = 0!) for the past few hours.

Yes, they are also flattening the curve. Too many covid-thing going on in the Pent. I think I'll have a
1589607388979.png
or two.

1589607123655.png

Just about to say something about the work units. I am working on a virtualmachine for numberfields. Any suggestions on what to use for ram, hd, and operating system? This way I can suspend internet activity and leave rosetta alone (I didn't watch the video again yet, though I had a little more time so if that isn't necessary, let me know). Thanks:)

/edit Think I am getting an education on virtual machines and video cards. Ill just pause Rosetta and keep it simple.

Last edited:
Noticed Boinc wasn't running after checking on it today, who knows how many days I was off (hopefully no more than a few). A lesson in checking in on your folding rig! Been busy with work and house projects, I usually check daily. :/

1024 units RTS. I just picked some up after grabbing a lot of numberfields. Ill just ride the wave.

Yeah....most VM's don't play nicely with GPU crunching. You gotta keep that on the host rig. Keep CPU only work in the VM's. Typically but not always, you will find Linux to outperform Windows. So, if you are comfortable with it, then go that route. RAM depends on project as many projects don't see much gain from faster RAM. A few do, but most not really. However, you can never have too much RAM. In the past, we have suggested a minimum of 1GB per thread. However, there are a lot of projects starting to ask for more than that. Just keep an eye on it. As far as HDD goes, SSD is a smart choice no matter how you slice it. yes some projects can require a lot of disk space like Rosetta or a VM project. However, you will find the speed of the SSD and the IO capability to far exceed the benefits of large storage amounts.

I noticed last night Amicable was running out of GPU based work units, but both PCs still had several CPU based units on them so I left them running. This morning I see they're back running GPUs too. Only a day left in this part of it in any case.

The completed work units (satisfying the 2 quorum requirement) have a 16 hours queue awaiting full validation. See the server status.

1589641504436.png

Likely not but hard to say. Only 5 hours left on cross country / Amicable numbers. At this point if you have some work saved you should probably set the AN project to "no new tasks" If you want to continue to use those GPU
Then you can crunch on NumberFields with only GPU for your card selected either AMD or Nvidia in the project settings. Download a couple days worth of GPU tasks and then set your boinc client to suspend networking. We have one final Javelin throw for Numberfields which starts in roughly 30 hours from now. Once this starts you can enable the networking and upload those tasks and then continue to crunch your GPU's on NumberFields till the end of the Pent as it will be the only GPU project for the pent for the last 2 days.

If you are running Rosetta or other projects in your boinc client and want to continue with networking on while crunching the Numberfields tasks without uploading them, then you can block the IP address for NumberFields at the router or firewall after you download the tasks you think you need. The IP address to block for Numberfields is: 129.219.51.76

Unless you want Rosetta on CPU over Numberfields, ill pause Rosetta and go 100% one 1 task with all machines. Otherwise I can take care of an IP in the router if that will do it and keep rosetta going.

Big shout out to all those that helped us secure 5th place today in NumberFields for the Cross Country event. The team we beat out for 5th Planet3D had 75 members crunching vs the 12 people on our team who ran it. I sometimes hear people question if their contribution is worth it when they only have a single rig or a lower tier GPU, but it can come down to just a few million points separating teams in some cases.

*Amicable Numbers. Thought I missed the window on the Javelin throw for a sec;) Kinda crazy with 12 people though, especially looking at the Folding@Home numbers going on now.

Big shout out to all those that helped us secure 5th place today in NumberFields for the Cross Country event. The team we beat out for 5th Planet3D had 75 members crunching vs the 12 people on our team who ran it. I sometimes hear people question if their contribution is worth it when they only have a single rig or a lower tier GPU, but it can come down to just a few million points separating teams in some cases.

Hey for the relatively few folks who were crunching on Amicable I think we did really well and made a good showing for [H] in the event. 👍

1589719378204.png

Back