SETI.Germany's 11 Annual BOINC Pentathlon (2020)

We are now 10 hours from the start of the event. If you have bunkers set up, I would give it 12 hours before dumping if possible to help give the servers time to cope with the load.

Can't find hardocp in the team listing @ rosetta.

Search under [H]

1588627236918.png

ok, humpin' along now, had to reset all my accounts.......

Silly case-sensitive searches.......

ok, humpin' along now, had to reset all my accounts.......

Silly case-sensitive searches.......

Pretty sure it's no case sensitive, BUT there is a line between [H]ard and OCP. It's a line like this |

pek , Welcome aboard to the team. You are the 201st proud member of the [H] team.
1588631035188.png

Also, only 30 minutes until Rosetta and Numberfields events begin.

Looks like they skipped us in the Javelin throw writeup.

BOINC pentathlon 4th daily update by Jeeper.

Also BOINC@AUSTRALIA (#8) is weakening at the moment, so [H] could settle on #7
We just passed BOINC@Australia 12 hours ago.

Can we overtake the CNT knowing that the Universe server is still having serious constipation? We shall see.
1588949525407.png

Will throwing a laptop in help? I have it running on just my one standalone system.

Here is rosetta marathon status. Team 2ch is able to maintain the gap over us.

1588951121087.png

It shall runneth untilst thou commandeth it to stop! You shall be [H]ard on your antiquities! :D (If I had a 25th Power Supply, I would fire up my i7-920, but strangely, my supply ends at an even 2 dozen PSUs)

I hope the Universe admin is correct and that the ULX tasks (the fat ones clogging up the straw they use for internet over there) get squeezed through semi-soon. My bunkers are getting cold!

Last edited:
Yeah I will definitely be choked if the tasks error out due to over deadline :p Always drama at the Pent! Good time so far and its about to get to the exciting part where everything goes stupid.
For me the Pent is a blast no matter how my team does. Hope you guys finish with a medal. Looks like some tough competition this year all around.

Amicable Numbers has been chosen for the Cross Country event. These work units are demanding of RAM. I believe each want like 8GB's. So, plan accordingly if you run it. Per RFGuy_KCCO it also restricts you to 20 WU's in progress per GPU. So, if bunkering you may need to use a few tactics to get more work units to keep the GPU's busy until bunker drop time.

Edit: If you need to limit the number of work units you run from the project at any given time due to hardware constraints or other goals, you can use an app_config.xml file to do that.

<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>2</project_max_concurrent>
</app_config>
Just change the max concurrent number to however many work units you want to be limited to. You can still download more work units, but the client will only run this many.

Also, you can spoof the number of video cards the client sees if you want to get around the 20 wu's per GPU limit too. I recommend using this in conjunction with the app_config above because the client will actually try to run the work as if you had this many GPU's.

Last edited:
I think Jeepers is tired of doing the updates. His last few years have been lacking compared to years gone by.

Setup to use one of my 1070s for Amicable Numbers. If it doesn't need 8gb of system ram, ill pull the other off folding as well. I'll be better prepared next year but the videos are definitely helping right now:) Thanks!

Make sure to subscribe to the channel if you haven't already. If there is anything you think we need, let me know and I will add it to my list. Cannot say much for Linux or Mac but depending on the request and timing I can try to slap something together.

Got Amicable Numbers going on another computer with a 750ti, but it was trying to use 8 cpus with it? Using that machine for Rosetta (4770 cpu) and don't want to dedicate all those cores to amicable numbers unless its really the only way. That will mean its going to do the same with my 3600x machine doing 5k points a day on rosetta. I set it to only do 1 thing at a time with Amicable Numbers, but (8 cpus) next to that one job bypassed my intentions;)

Thanks! Got it setup on the same computer as before so once gpugrid is done in a couple hours, ill see how a 750ti handles it and the system memory requirements.

Hmm, Amicable at some point last night stopped running on both machines, meaning I woke up to check them and there were no units there to run on both. Judging by my points from the last time I looked it appears it wasn't too long after I last checked them. Which means it wasn't running most of the night. I updated both machines and they re-download units and are running again. Not sure what happened, but lost several hours overnight.

Back