Set up home intranet for specific devices/user accounts

Weeth

Gawd
I have an extremely precocious 4 year old kid who reads better than my 30something brother in law. She has grown up with iPads and PCs and now I'm very concerned that she's going to start exploring sites which aren't exactly Disney or Barbie.

BTW, yes, we do limit her screen time and supervise her but all it takes is the time to go brew a cup of tea and she could be on any unsavory site on the net or chatting with Gawd knows who.

I've read all about setting up a home intranet via XAMPP and I get it, but what I'm not clear on is how to restrict specific devices and user accounts to the intranet alone without any access to the internet.

Then when I solve that problem, how do I get the Windows and Apple updates to those devices and accounts?

I thought that maybe it could be set up so that internet is totally blocked except between midnight and 4 am or something along those lines. However, I haven't found any sources to instruct me on that aspect of it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have an extremely precocious 4 year old kid who reads better than my 30something brother in law. She has grown up with iPads and PCs and now I'm very concerned that she's going to start exploring sites which aren't exactly Disney or Barbie.

BTW, yes, we do limit her screen time and supervise her but all it takes is the time to go brew a cup of tea and she could be on any unsavory site on the net or chatting with Gawd knows who.

I've read all about setting up a home intranet via XAMPP and I get it, but what I'm not clear on is how to restrict specific devices and user accounts to the intranet alone without any access to the internet.

Then when I solve that problem, how do I get the Windows and Apple updates to those devices and accounts?

I thought that maybe it could be set up so that internet is totally blocked except between midnight and 4 am or something along those lines. However, I haven't found any sources to instruct me on that aspect of it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I had an issue with my kids staying up too late because they were on the Internet. Taking away their devices every night wasn't a feasible solution. I ended up setting up a schedule on my wireless router for their specific devices. Now they only have Internet access from 8AM to 9PM on weekdays. Here's a quick summary of what I did:

1. Collected the MAC addresses of their devices.
2. Assigned Static IP addresses to their devices using the MAC addresses.
3. Blocked services by schedule (Blocked all TCP/UDP ports for the Static IP addresses from step 2).
4. Setup schedule of what days to block. In my case, I did Monday thru Friday.

It's worked well so far, although the kids hate it =p

I had an issue with my kids staying up too late because they were on the Internet. Taking away their devices every night wasn't a feasible solution. I ended up setting up a schedule on my wireless router for their specific devices. Now they only have Internet access from 8AM to 9PM on weekdays. Here's a quick summary of what I did:

1. Collected the MAC addresses of their devices.
2. Assigned Static IP addresses to their devices using the MAC addresses.
3. Blocked services by schedule (Blocked all TCP/UDP ports for the Static IP addresses from step 2).
4. Setup schedule of what days to block. In my case, I did Monday thru Friday.

It's worked well so far, although the kids hate it =p

Oh yeah, my kid will hate it too but I'm bigger than she is so I rule. :)

Question on #3, how did you block the "services by schedule" and would it be possible to set it up so that they access an intranet during the blocked hours? I still want to give her content but only what I've vetted and is resident on the home server.

Oh yeah, my kid will hate it too but I'm bigger than she is so I rule. :)

Question on #3, how did you block the "services by schedule" and would it be possible to set it up so that they access an intranet during the blocked hours? I still want to give her content but only what I've vetted and is resident on the home server.

I have a Netgear R8000 wireless router and it gives me the option under Security - > Block Services -> per schedule option. It blocks services by ports so you may allow access during the black hours by whatever ports you use for your intranet. Lets say you want to give access to an intranet website, the default port would be 80, but then you would be giving access to the outside on port 80 also. You would want to change the port to something unique.

I have a Netgear R8000 wireless router and it gives me the option under Security - > Block Services -> per schedule option. It blocks services by ports so you may allow access during the black hours by whatever ports you use for your intranet. Lets say you want to give access to an intranet website, the default port would be 80, but then you would be giving access to the outside on port 80 also. You would want to change the port to something unique.

That's great info, thanks! Looks like that's the way to make it all work so that the rotten little kid is going to never stumble onto xxx or ISIS sites!

Back