Set up always-on videoconferencing via Skype/TeamViewer or ???

Weeth

Gawd
Here is the topology:

I'm here.

I have three people working there... there being an office 10 miles away.

I want to set up webcams behind each of these people so I can see the back of their heads, at least half of their monitors, and listen in when I want to. I would set up a separate computer monitor next to my main one and have these three feeds visible there constantly during office hours.

I want these people to be able to communicate with me via audio when we both choose. I do not want them to see me on their screens, just hear me.

It seems that there are two primary questions:

Bandwidth: Keeping 3 Skype type of connections open 8 hrs a day is going to blow up my data caps. I don't need full motion video, I'd even be happy with a framegrab 1 per second or even as low as 1 per 5 seconds. However, audio has to be live, but it does not have to be continual audio. I want to turn it on and off as I wish, and likely the audio won't be on for more than an hour a day max.

Software: Have no clue. I'm just mentioning Skype and TeamViewer as that's what I currently use, but I'm open to using anything.

Any suggestions would be welcomed as I'm stumped.

Sounds like you're over complicating it. Is there anything holding you back from just using a service like Justin.TV to set up a private feed? With software like XSplit to do the streaming, you could adjust the frames and bandwidth accordingly. Only problem might be the machines and there specs as far as making it smooth goes, while allowing work flow to be uninterrupted. Then again doing any sort of audio/video streaming is going to take a hit.

I can't tell if you're looking to keep track of them or work with them (sounds like both?). VOIP of any kind can suffice for audio, even a simple setup like mumble might work, or a VOIP server and softphones.

If you think they're f'ing about on their computers more than you find acceptable; are they achieving as much work as you would like them to?

Yes? Leave them alone.
No? Fire them.

You will cause a hostile environment otherwise. If it's children, good job prepping them for big brother.

If I was working for you and you told me you were *thinking* about that I would resign instantly.

Lots of IP Cams can do 2 way audio.

I use a Foscam fi8910w as a do-it-yourself baby monitor in my house, don't see why it wouldn't work for this as well. You can tune the resolution and the fps to control bandwidth, enable the audio when you choose, talk to the camera if you want, and you can interface with the cameras from a web browser, android device, or iOS device. You can also pan and tilt the camera remotely.

I you do this I hope it ends up in the news section so you can get all of the heat from the [H] masses that you deserve.

Just throwing this in there... make sure everyone knows whats up, or check with your local state laws. Adding audio to the mix changes things up (wiretap laws etc). It may or may not be an issue where you are, but keep it in mind.

Back