Servo/Stepper Motors

SpeedSlayer

Supreme [H]ardness
Here is a project I want to undergo, but Im a quite a bit confusing on how to do it.

I have an old laptop that needs to be taken apart to get running (power adapter cable is broken). I was thinking of building a case for it that would mount on the bottom of the shelf right above the desk.

The case would be 3 layers. Layer 1 = Components, Layer 2 = Empty Spinning Wheel, Layer 3 = Monitor.

Here is what I want to do:

With control through a program (future control of a remote, meaning a program that can work with a remote), control the angle that monitor goes down. So basically, in the closed position the monitor would be closed like laptop is closed. When I send a command to the motor, the monitor opens (in the same way a laptop opens), until the degree I want it to stop at (or roughly at that degree)

The purpose of the second layer, is so that I can control the way the monitor is pointing. Turn on the motor, and set the angle (for example different angles are needed in different sitting arrangements so I want to be able to control that)

Here are my questions:

Any good websites to read up on control Servos/Steppers?
What kind of stepper would be need to lower and raised a 2lb monitor + frame?

Is a stepper or servo that best way to accomplish this?

I dont want the laptop running 24/7 so would the stepper or servo lower the monitor (due to the force of gravity) if there is no power in it?

Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like an interesting project.

A good link for stepper info would be Jones on Stepping Motors.

ServoCity is a good servo resource.

You could probably use a stepper or servo depending on how you design the mechanics for the leverage. I think possibly in your case a servo may be easier to program for and interface to., because you just have to send destination postitions rather thank keeping track of steps (open loop) or encoders (closed loop) needed for steppers.

The mechanical design would also dictate the required torque, but I would think a heavy duty gear reduced servo would have no problem.

As you desire multiple / adjustable angles, I think you need to use a stepper or servo arrangement that allows for this. If it were a case of simply open / close, you would probably get away with a simple motor and limit switches. Heck, you might even be able to use some salvaged windshield wiper mechanicals.

In either case, you may need to use a dedicated controller board, because if the laptop is the control and it is shut down, both methods could allow the monitor to drop.

I would also Google for some robotic sites, I'm sure there are plenty of resources out there.

Good luck.

Back