Service pack 3 on Windows update.

number69

[H]ard|Gawd
For those who waited for SP3 to show up on Windows update it's there I just checked.
Sorry if somebody posted this already.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
Typical download size: 66.9 MB , 22 minutes
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates. Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer

Yup its out, just found out because I did a fresh install of XP Pro SP2 on a laptop. But I thought SP3 was supposed to 350~400 mb? Where is the rest of it and what about the over 90 hot fixes from SP2 that am currently still missing, that would have normally been downloaded after doing a clean install??

Numbers don't add up unless this a seriously compressed service pack...

Just saw this myself. Has anyone found a direct download link yet (from MS)?

I just saw that message as well. I'm setting up a new laptop for a new employee, and saw that message with my last reboot about 5 minutes ago. The size is showing exactly as number69 says.

Searching the download site I cannot find a stand alone posted yet. .. hmmm I know its around somewhere

But I thought SP3 was supposed to 350~400 mb?

Standalone/"offline" version clocks in at ~325megs, online versions only download what they need to; that's how it's been for a while.

Is it me or is that direct link broken? It doesn't seem to work for me? Hmm...strange.

If that link gets spread around as much as usual, it won't be available for a few days because it will be hammered.

downloading the full version - 316mb @ 1 mb a sec... not too bad

seen it on ms update today setting up 4 pcs at a site. ms update was hammered. bandwith wasnt too bad but would have to wait for ages for the pages to load would actually set it up and go to another pc and set it up that is how bad their servers were loaded. tried searching for the exe couldnt find it. thanks for the link ill start using it now it will save me alot of time!!

I just got on my laptop today and I got the notification for SP3 as well. Needless to say I was surprised as I didn't expect it.

if you do a fresh install, the second update you recieve is SP3...

however, after this, internet explorer 7 doesn't work. Not sure if this is a known bug or not, but the last 2 computers i have tried this on have the same problem

:(

when you do a fresh format, first update is a single update for windows upate, then service pack 3 comes up, then after that you get 3 more updates one is IE7.

this is what i have noticed when doing a fresh install of sp2 and running windows update. seems to be working fine no adverse affects on a few different pcs im doing.

IE7 update has been failing for me... installing before SP3 has fixed it... i'm not sure what hte problem is, but it could have been fixed already.

however, after this, internet explorer 7 doesn't work. Not sure if this is a known bug or not, but the last 2 computers i have tried this on have the same problem
That's not a bug, that's a feature. Maybe MS has finally given up on securing IE7 and just turned if off.... hehe.... :D

Just an update, I have downloaded and installed SP3 on that laptop and it is working great. The first thing I noticed is that they updated the Remote Desktop application to what is used in Vista, looks better and has a little bit more functionality. It also worked fine connecting into a computer via a VPN connection. So far so good. I am giving it to my client tonight so I sure I will hear if anything goes wrong.

The first thing I noticed is that they updated the Remote Desktop application to what is used in Vista
Wasn't that among the updates offered on the Update Site anyway? I am sure I have been installing such an update on my clients XP PCs lately (just never checked what it was....)

I installed it last night. Everything seemed to go okay. The one thing that I noticed is that my Trend Micro Internet Security loads MUCH faster, causing the entire boot process to be sped up by a lot.

Good lord, I just downloaded it in 34s = 9.3 MB/s avg. I think that's a personal record (whoop-dee-doo)

I have installed in on three computers so far. Haven't really seen any problems. The one thing i did notice is all three seemed to run faster.

So if I'm still interested in keeping my old games working, like Source stuff, BF series, and I'm running fairly old hardware, do I need to worry about this SP3?

i downloaded through update, but when i go to control panel/system it says service pack 2?

No. SP3 includes everything in SP1 and SP2.

Are you sure? SP2 came up to download before SP3 with Windows Update.

Service Pack 3 can be installed on systems with Internet Explorer versions 6 or 7, and Windows Media Player versions 9 and above.[41] Although service packs have, until now, been cumulative, installing SP3 on an existing installation of Windows XP requires that the computer must at least be running with Service Pack 1 installed.[42] However, it is possible to slipstream SP3 into the Windows XP setup files at any service pack level—including the original RTM version—without any errors or issues.[43] Slipstreaming SP3 into Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is not supported.

Back