Server upgrade. Quite a few pictures.

tylerdustin2008

[H]ard|Gawd
This isn't really a worklog, more of just adding onto what I have.

Current specs. starting from the top.
Cisco 2950/1900 switch
Netgear 10/100/1000mbs Switch
AdderLink 16 port Ethernet KVM
D-link 8 port switch( used to seperate the ip from dhcp from comcast) and Cable modem.

Poweredge 2850's the top two servers.
Dual 3.6ghz Xeons
4x1gb + 2x2gb RAM
6x147@15k gb scsi's

Poweredge 860's the two 1u's
2.8ghz Pentium D
4x1gb
1tb, and a 500gb

Custom 4u's at the bottom
AMD 6400+
4x1gb
2x750gb

And a APC 3000va ups.

I have another poweredge on the way. Will update once I get it installed

DSC02287.jpg

DSC02288.jpg

DSC02289.jpg

DSC02290.jpg

DSC02291.jpg

DSC02292.jpg

DSC02293.jpg

DSC02294.jpg

DSC02295.jpg

What model fan is that at the bottom? :p

I am a bit confused though, what was present originally - or rather, what is new to the cabinet. And what is all this hardware being used for, it looks to be in a house at the moment.

Quite honestly it looks awesomely neat and all... But I don't see where you modded it at all. I think this thread is more suited for the Networking pics subforum

What model fan is that at the bottom? :p

I am a bit confused though, what was present originally - or rather, what is new to the cabinet. And what is all this hardware being used for, it looks to be in a house at the moment.

It is in a house. What was in it before was the two 4u's, and the two 1u's. This baby is used for playing, no real purpose. Other than a HUGE router.... Can't host a website because Comcast does not like to tell the truth, suppose to have a 3-6mb up, but we might get 500k.

Quite honestly it looks awesomely neat and all... But I don't see where you modded it at all. I think this thread is more suited for the Networking pics subforum

Yes true. But I needed somewhere to put it. And I did not feel like look for 30 mins. Since this site was acting up... like usual.

I got the new Powervault in today, i will get pictures once it is installed. Currently the OS is getting installed. I put 4x500gb's in it. I had 5 extra brand new ones lying around. The hdds in the 4u's will be going into the 2u's once I get everything installed and running properly. And also once I get the data copied over.

I also don't have to turn the heat on in the house with it running. I actually have to keep a window open. Keeps it at about 70 degrees.

so you only use it as a normal pc (for fun)? must be a very expensive hobby does this beast suck up alot of power? cant imagine a home power bill being cheap.

so you only use it as a normal pc (for fun)? must be a very expensive hobby does this beast suck up alot of power? cant imagine a home power bill being cheap.

Well not a normal PC. There quite a few operating systems running.

And it draws quite a bit of power. Currently it is drawing 11amps. Which is... 11x115=1265 watts.

I used to have a similar setup, but there was no point. Way to much heat. Way to much money in equipment. Way to much space and power being used.

VMWare + Dual Xeon Quads with 32gigs of ram. When I fill that up, Ill buy another with the $5k I got selling off my rack, :p.

And do please post this in the networking section. People there actually appreciate this stuff.

I find it hard to believe you built this for little or no reason. What are all the ethernet cables going to? You should use all this power for some home automation or something.

I used to have a similar setup, but there was no point. Way to much heat. Way to much money in equipment. Way to much space and power being used.

VMWare + Dual Xeon Quads with 32gigs of ram. When I fill that up, Ill buy another with the $5k I got selling off my rack, :p.

And do please post this in the networking section. People there actually appreciate this stuff.

This rack takes up a bit of space. And produces allot of heat, but no need to trn the heat on in the winter months. This thing does its job. And this rack is nto full yet, still have about 30u's to fill.

I find it hard to believe you built this for little or no reason. What are all the ethernet cables going to? You should use all this power for some home automation or something.

Well, it does have some reason... To learn. Maybe one day a job will become of it, a great one.

Cables... Blue ones are the KVM. All input goes through them, even sound.

White is the internal network. Some has 4 port nics, some only have 2. But have port has a cable.

And the only black one goes to the external network. Which is a linksys N router. My main pc is hooked straight up to the rack. And the rest of the network runs off of the linksys.

Oh and at the bottom is the very expensive PDU. No need to unplug anything or use a power switch. Just log in, know what port it is plugged into, and turn it off.

very clean setup, I like it a lot though you need to learn about the equipment you have there! :eek: Alot of the people in this forum would kill for a setup like that, learn how to use it and the technology thats in there.

The Cisco 2950 in there is a switch, not router. The Netgear is a switch most likely and if it really is a hub disconnect that NOW and hook everything up to the 2950 you have there. The other switch is a Cisco 2924 switch.

Are you virtualizing at all, or just running the OS's onto of the physical hardware? What brand is that KVM over IP switch? Do you have it running? Also, where did you score this stuff from ;).

very clean setup, I like it a lot though you need to learn about the equipment you have there! :eek: Alot of the people in this forum would kill for a setup like that, learn how to use it and the technology thats in there.

The Cisco 2950 in there is a switch, not router. The Netgear is a switch most likely and if it really is a hub disconnect that NOW and hook everything up to the 2950 you have there. The other switch is a Cisco 2924 switch.

Are you virtualizing at all, or just running the OS's onto of the physical hardware? What brand is that KVM over IP switch? Do you have it running? Also, where did you score this stuff from ;).

Sorry I was half sleep when i posted it. Had not went to bed yet. Yes, there is a cisco 2950 switch, cisco 1900 switch. Netgear 1gb x 24 port switch. I would LOVE to have a cisco unmanaged 1gb switch. I am running VMWare Esxi 3. I will have more pictures to post soon. The KVM is a AdderLink and works awesome on my 24" HP monitor. Keyboard and mouse are runs smooth with it. I need to update the firmware in the KVM, but I havent got the cable to do it. And I have heard it takes time, and its one of those things you only got one chance. I installed another PDU unit last night, and the guy I bought it from did not give me the configurations, so now I need another cable to reprogram it.

Where did I get this stuff? Well working for the government has its benefits... But they laid me off.

Here are the updated pictures.

First picture is with the powervault installed. And the other 2 are just close up pictures.

And the beige rack is where all of our printers are. Waiting on a printer server, bought one off of ebay. But they sent me one with a password on it, and they did not know it. Also in the bottom of it is an unsed UPS, just havent found a use for it yet.

DSC02298.jpg

DSC02299.jpg

DSC02300.jpg

Print Server Rack, will be installing this
DSC02301.jpg

DSC02302.jpg

DSC02303.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Doesn't look like you have any cable management arms, I'm guessing you'll never need to pull out a server while still cabled up?

Doesn't look like you have any cable management arms, I'm guessing you'll never need to pull out a server while still cabled up?

I didnt plan on working with them pluged in, I do have the management arms. Though I am looking for a different way of doing it. Just to make it look neat. If anyone can show me where I can use Lacer bars. The problem is there would be no screw holes to mount it. I just dont want to add more wires or run the power with the data, thats why I hadnt thought about using the management arms. Though I could shield the power cable I guess.

You're only pulling 3amps with all that? Or is a bunch of it turned off?

I am only using 3 AMPS on the 2nd level of the pdu. I use all together around 12.

...is that a BED in your server room? :confused:

Yes, that is my bed. Should see my desk. Ill post pics of it when i clean up the room. haha..

Is that a Lexmark 1625? I got one free and absolutely love it!

Is that a Lexmark 1625? I got one free and absolutely love it!

No, it is a 1650. I got mine for free as well. It had a broken lcd, I bought one for it and the owner said keep the printer. That was 2 years ago, on a half empty toner cartridge. And it is still printing.

Yea... :confused:

What do women say when they come over? I don't think I'd get a very good reaction. :p

Nice hardware though, wish I had a rack with all my gear consolidated in it. :D

My girl does not mind it. She likes it when I am able to work on her gear...

lol

you saying that will be the only rack he will get his hands on?

On the contrar.....

Please tell me you still live at home with your parents.

I do, its cheaper than getting my own place.

I'm going to go with "it's all stolen."

No I actually ran plenty of cable for the FAA to be able to buy this stuff.

The Dell equipment looks great. I wish I could have a rack in my house.

Im just giving you trouble. ;)
I live on my parents property, mind you for different reasons, but I still get crap from friends for living at one of my parents homes. However the $1000+ a month I save in rent/utilities is well worth it.

Im just giving you trouble. ;)
I live on my parents property, mind you for different reasons, but I still get crap from friends for living at one of my parents homes. However the $1000+ a month I save in rent/utilities is well worth it.

You've got that right.

First off, nice stuff man... your rack looks legit cool. That said, not to be a dick but...

You have thousands of dollars worth of hardware to "play with" and you sleep on a cot? Your priorities are a little different than mine...
I gotta agree.

My girl does not mind it. She likes it when I am able to work on her gear...
I know of no girl that would approve of sleeping in a room with a cot and a server rack. If she did, I'd probably dump her instantly because she's weird as hell.

I do, its cheaper than getting my own place.
So that's your only factor? Ridiculous! It sounds like you're going to live there forever. If you're in school or saving for a place, that's one thing. But if you actually like living there just because it's cheaper...wow. Getting your own place or maybe with roommates isn't really that much and it's so worth it. Maybe I'm strange, but I find that there's more to life than just $$$.

First off its not a cot. The frame might be metal, but the mattress is comfortable as HELL.

Girlfriend does not care about servers, but she loves crimping network cables. And the stuff does not bother her at all.

And I am waiting for the perfect job. The market is crap. I also pay the electric and cable/phone/internet bill.

my parents would kill me if I ran all that equipment at their house.... talk about $800 a month electricity bill :O eek!

Back