Server Sync

kevinzak

Limp Gawd
We just recently added a local server for our new location. We have a server in the main office (I'll call it Cooper henceforth) and again, a new server in the new location (we'll call it House). They both run Server 08. The two offices are connected via a VPN tunnel. Essentially we use both primarily as a file server. I want them to sync files with each other during off hours (so if someone adds a file to Cooper locally, House gets it, and vice versa). What is the most cost-efficient way of doing this? Normally it wouldn't be a problem but I didn't know if the VPN would cause trouble, so I thought YeOlde or another higher up could chime in. Thanks!

Nightly robocopy jobs could do it. Do you know how you want to handle conflicts? (as in same file edited on both sides)

Are these servers on a domain or is this a workgroup setup? You can always setup DFS to handle all the replication, works pretty slick.

Nightly robocopy jobs could do it. Do you know how you want to handle conflicts? (as in same file edited on both sides)

For our uses, this will very rarely happen, and when it does, it will work fine to use the newer version of the file.

Are these servers on a domain or is this a workgroup setup? You can always setup DFS to handle all the replication, works pretty slick.

We are on a workgroup at the moment and will likely be that way for a while. We originally used a domain, but for our setup (we do not have an even slightly large number of workstations), it seemed like overkill.

Unfortunately, no. Hence this post. If it were for a client, it would be worth the effort to switch it over and it would be an easy fix, but where this is just for our offices and we're using it for less-than-traditional means, I'm looking for a solution that is compatible with our setup but still easy on us. Not opposed to third-party solutions, but we'd like to keep the cost as reasonable as possible.

Agreed then, scripting up robocopy would probably be the best suggestion I can think of.

Easy

Map a drive of the remote server

robocopy C:\data Z:\backup /COPYALL /E /TEE /R:2 /W:5 /XO

if you want it explained I can.

Easy

Map a drive of the remote server

robocopy C:\data Z:\backup /COPYALL /E /TEE /R:2 /W:5 /XO

if you want it explained I can.

Would simply copying the script to the other server and fixing the paths after the initial transfer keep both synced with each other?

Would simply copying the script to the other server and fixing the paths after the initial transfer keep both synced with each other?

I would think so.. I'm using this right now to backup a directory from a pc (had to install server based software on it) to a server, but i'm not keeping it to sync.

I thought about this and honestly your BEST bet and best practice here would be a domain and dfs. I know you said it was a smb, but it would be the easy way

Bah! :p I was afraid of that. I am the one that will be asked to convert everything over to the domain and with classes that will suck haha.

Back