Server specs?

colinstu

2[H]4U
How hardware intensive would a small AD, DNS, File server be? (75-100 users at most, logging in, using IE and Office)

Is that something you'd config up with a high end CPU? Lots of memory, etc?

It would really be a mid-ranger, Dont skimp on anything though, i would usually go with dual processors (you could get away with a single socket) and a fair bit of RAM (4gb at the least). If your doing roaming profiles or folder redirections then make sure you got some fast, and large hard disk arrays. Should all be possible for around £1500

I'd look at a dell 2900 with a quad core cpu 4 gigs of ram and sas hard drives with a seperate array for the os. For the OS windows 2008 64 bit unless you need a 32 bit os for some older software.

I'd split up the load....get at least several 1U servers
1-DC...basic infrastructure/AD/DNS/DHCP etc. Doesn't need much power or memory.
2-File and Print server...do all the file storage, print shares, possible second DC. Faster disk system, doesn't need much power or memory (single CPU, 2 gigs of RAM)
3-"Other"..such as dedicated for applications such as accounting/line of business/etc, run your centralized antivirus management, also possible second DC. Single or dual CPU according to software needs, same with RAM.
4-EMail, a company of this size surely would desire an e-mail such as Exchange. Faster single CPU, max out RAM.
*Possible 5th if they have a more demanding database engine line of business software, that requires a hefty database engine such as SQL, Progress, .NET, etc. Separate from other accounting apps such as #3 would run. CPU and RAM often higher or dually.

I'd go with a mid range server with a good amount of ram and cpus then virtualize the other stuff (the basic stuff). Something like a Dell Poweredge 2950 III with lets say 16GB Ram, some SAS drives, dual Quad Core Xeons.

I'd split up the load....get at least several 1U servers
1-DC...basic infrastructure/AD/DNS/DHCP etc. Doesn't need much power or memory.
2-File and Print server...do all the file storage, print shares, possible second DC. Faster disk system, doesn't need much power or memory (single CPU, 2 gigs of RAM)
3-"Other"..such as dedicated for applications such as accounting/line of business/etc, run your centralized antivirus management, also possible second DC. Single or dual CPU according to software needs, same with RAM.
4-EMail, a company of this size surely would desire an e-mail such as Exchange. Faster single CPU, max out RAM.
*Possible 5th if they have a more demanding database engine line of business software, that requires a hefty database engine such as SQL, Progress, .NET, etc. Separate from other accounting apps such as #3 would run. CPU and RAM often higher or dually.

I agree completely. I rarely like to have my DCs do double duty... Get a light-duty 1u for your DC (don't skimp on the warranty, though) and build the file server to your needs. It sounds like you have email and any app servers covered, so 2 servers should be fine.

get 2 "cheap" single socket quad core server (3GHz, 8GB RAM- IBM System x3350) (fail over...)
and a storage box (IBM System Storage N3000 Express)

I'd look at a dell 2900 with a quad core cpu 4 gigs of ram and sas hard drives with a seperate array for the os. For the OS windows 2008 64 bit unless you need a 32 bit os for some older software.

Thats abit over the top. For AD, you only need 2gb and a 32bit OS, the rest I agree with.

Thats abit over the top. For AD, you only need 2gb and a 32bit OS, the rest I agree with.

For a single server it is fine. Even with 2 servers I would go with 4 gigs of memory in each. Memory is cheap and it is better to have it then not.

Unless you need to run a 32bit os I'd recommend starting to look at a 64 bit OS. The server needs to last for a few years and having the ability to add more memory down the road without reloading it is nice.

200 bucks saved on RAM here, 200 bucks saved on RAM there...helps put money towards another server. Even though RAM is dirt cheap these days, good server grade RAM is still a touch pricey. For a hundred users, you can scale back on the processor ...just get a basic Xeon..heck even a C2D proc for a straight up DC.

A DC running nothing but infrastructure seriously hardly uses RAM at all. If the funds are there..sure..slap 4 gigs in...it's overkill, just bragging rights to give the IT a woody, but hey, if the budget is fat, why not. But if the OP has a "set budget" to go with, I'd scale down the RAM and put those funds towards another box.

I'll take 3-4 pizza box servers that are scaled back on horsepower, separating the jobs, over an overstuffed fat server trying to do it all, any day of the week.

Back