server side backup

mode87

n00b
i was wondering how i would go about creating a server that would automatically backup my files over the network once a week, in the network there would be a laptop and two desktops. they are connected via a linksys router.

i also work the same files between one of my desktops and my laptop and was wondering how i would keep these files "linked" so that changes made to one would reflect on the other. thanks

You can use a simple backup application like NTbackup (embedded in Windows) to create scheduled jobs that backup at whatever regular times you choose - daily, weekly, whatever. But it sounds like you first need to get your files in a single location. Many options for this - probably the easiest would be to make sure your 3 machines are joined to the same workgroup, then create a share on one of the PCs and store all the files you access and want to be backed up on that share.

so how would i do that and how effective will it be? like will it be so slow that it is un usable?

I have four machines on my home network. One of those is my file server. I created a file share called Backups and used NTBackup to schedule a nightly backup job of all the machines. They all store their backup information on the file server. It takes about an hour or two to complete all of them. I'd say it pretty efficient seeing that it's 40-50 gigs of data.

mode87 said:
i also work the same files between one of my desktops and my laptop and was wondering how i would keep these files "linked" so that changes made to one would reflect on the other. thanks

Work off of a shared folder...on your "server".

YeOldeStonecat said:
Work off of a shared folder...on your "server".

but then i would not be able to take the laptop to work and use those files, which i need to do :(

Back