Server Shelfs..

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Why are server shelfs so expensive? I mean seriously why are they $40 for a piece of metal that bolts to a metal frame?

Any ideas on where I can get some that are reasonably priced?

Where are you finding them so cheap? When I do new cabinet builds and need shelves..they're over a hundred bucks.

Ha, that's what I was thinking too. Who's complaining about $40? Last time I was in TX, Fry's had them for cheap, like ~$40 range I think.

Maybe this can help explain the difference in shelves.

There are 2 different type of shelves...

Full Rack Shelves = Stretch from front to back, can be put on rails = holds 100+ lbs.
Small Rack Shelves = Just big enough for a router, a LCD monitor, or keyboard = holds 25lbs or so.

Full Rack Shelves = $100+
Small Rack Shelves = 25$+

Yup, pretty much.
Not going to happen, you might want to check out craigslist though. The cost in materials and manufacturing alone is probably half of that, too little of a profit to sell it for 3 bucks....

With that said, dont be cheap. Rackmount stuff costs more, you have to pay to play :cool:

I hear ya. I have two racks, one i wanted to put my audio stuff in but i cant pay 40 a shelf for that. Too bad as it would look pretty cool.

Let me know if you find anything..
I bought a Skeletek Rack, and it's a 2-post, so I need some shelves to support a 1U server...

Back