Server Shelfs..

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Why are server shelfs so expensive? I mean seriously why are they $40 for a piece of metal that bolts to a metal frame?

Any ideas on where I can get some that are reasonably priced?

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
Where are you finding them so cheap? When I do new cabinet builds and need shelves..they're over a hundred bucks.

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
Ha, that's what I was thinking too. Who's complaining about $40? Last time I was in TX, Fry's had them for cheap, like ~$40 range I think.

Erland

Limp Gawd
Maybe this can help explain the difference in shelves.

There are 2 different type of shelves...

Full Rack Shelves = Stretch from front to back, can be put on rails = holds 100+ lbs.
Small Rack Shelves = Just big enough for a router, a LCD monitor, or keyboard = holds 25lbs or so.

Full Rack Shelves = $100+
Small Rack Shelves = 25$+

xphil3

[H]ard|Gawd
Yup, pretty much.
Not going to happen, you might want to check out craigslist though. The cost in materials and manufacturing alone is probably half of that, too little of a profit to sell it for 3 bucks....

With that said, dont be cheap. Rackmount stuff costs more, you have to pay to play :cool:

fireburster

[H]ard|Gawd
I hear ya. I have two racks, one i wanted to put my audio stuff in but i cant pay 40 a shelf for that. Too bad as it would look pretty cool.

Seemund

Gawd
Let me know if you find anything..
I bought a Skeletek Rack, and it's a 2-post, so I need some shelves to support a 1U server...