Server Rack Tossed Off 18 Story Building

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only does Symantec products make you want to dive off a building, they have the same effect on your server racks. :D I guess this marketing stunt was successful, it got me to tune in to watch this thing get pushed off an 18 story building.

Truthfully Symantec makes fantas

Ok ok I couldn't get through that without laughing.

Nice try, still not there

Super weak! The rack mount was fucking empty for one and two, they showed the destruction of like 1/4 of the rack and for only like 2 seconds.

Stupid stupid promo shit!

Fuck you Symantec with your shitty ass software and your shitty ass ad's!

Whew...sorry...not sorry to you Symantec (still fuck you) but sorry to my fellow forum members for my rage...:p

I really hate marketing stunts like this that don't actually prove anything about the software. Dropping a rack off a building will get some guy giving us a thumbs up? Awesome. I'll take 12 copies.

I really hate marketing stunts like this that don't actually prove anything about the software. Dropping a rack off a building will get some guy giving us a thumbs up? Awesome. I'll take 12 copies.

Really people:rolleyes: like the "cool" factor.

I did the same thing when we moved our office (sort of). We had a short rack that we didn't want anymore and was too costly to throw away. Me another tech lifted it about 4 feet onto a table top and dropped it repeatedly onto the cement floor. Not as dramatic but still pretty fun.

yeah disappointing, didn't show enough destruction, lame.. makes me NOT want to buy their products

There's a link below the video at the official site with an explanation with details of failover and the team that was used to build the "drop system." Same guys that did the stage work for a few block buster movies!

99% of the time we have issues with performance in production, Symantec is at fault.

Fucking lame

I expected an actual server rack getting destroyed

This was just the server rack case getting destroyed

Wow its fucking nothing.gif

But it wasn't even plugged into anything when it left the roof, how did they retrieve the data from a non-functioning server?

Empty rack. Whatever. Fill that f*cker with ancient Proliants and then watch that sucker fly. It would be cool to unscrew all the rails first too so the thing would be flinging servers out as it tumbled to the ground.

Fucking lame

I expected an actual server rack getting destroyed

This was just the server rack case getting destroyed

Wow its fucking nothing.gif

A server rack is the rack in which the server gets placed on.

Therefore it's only "fucking lame" due to your own misunderstanding.

The headline had me thinking this was another story about a Foxconn plant, with even the servers getting clinically depressed over the horrible working conditions.

A server rack is the rack in which the server gets placed on.

Therefore it's only "fucking lame" due to your own misunderstanding.

Except there was -NOTHING IN IT-

It was -COMPLETELY EMPTY-

They tossed a total of $2000 off a building

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now, make it an actual full server, toss it off a building, you'll have my attention

Silly retard, you don't fix a server by pushing it off a high story building.

the-noob-codmw3.jpg

Super weak! The rack mount was fucking empty for one and two, they showed the destruction of like 1/4 of the rack and for only like 2 seconds.

They had successfully seen that a rack was going to fall off the building and moved all the servers to the second data center err rack. Yay for uptime!

Crap. Utter crap.

They had successfully seen that a rack was going to fall off the building and moved all the servers to the second data center err rack. Yay for uptime!

Crap. Utter crap.

And how did they pick who got to be the thumbs up guy? Random? Straws? Seniority?

should have filled it with some of their software engineers and copies of norton antivirus. watch that fucker tank then.

The footage was meh, I was looking forward to seeing what kind of impact it would do on the ground and how far it would spread... and yeah, there was no servers in it.

Maybe the lack of servers represents the cpu power left after you installed their product. :p

The HP one was pretty cool, but the whole thing could have been simulated by shutting the power to it. Not as fun I guess.

So what exactly are these fail over products, is it basically a VM environment with data replication?

should have filled it with some of their software engineers and copies of norton antivirus. watch that fucker tank then.

I would take Norton over McAfee, that POS just BSOD's anything I try and install it on, amazingly I have been able to remove it under safe mode though.

Definitely low budget and poor taste.

If they wanted to make something to brag about perhaps they should have made a real cluster content delivery system with failover. While people are watching movies from both sites have one site struck by lightning.

Yes, lightning!

It can be triggered, all that's needed is an active cumulonimbus cloud or two. Talk about taking things to the cloud!

Triggered lightning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN4QRwHCOXQ

A direct hit will shut down the target DC!

I used to eat at the Taco Bell that used to be on the site of that building (San Jose City Hall) when I was at SJSU. That was when you could get lost in the old library by taking the wrong turn since it was made up of 3 buildings smashed together... wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah Symantec. They suck.

Except there was -NOTHING IN IT-

It was -COMPLETELY EMPTY-

They tossed a total of $2000 off a building

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now, make it an actual full server, toss it off a building, you'll have my attention

Yes, it was a server rack. A rack for a server. You don't buy a server rack expecting it to include a full-fledged server, do you? No, you put a server in it...lol.

They call it a "Data Center" on YouTube. Steve more accurately calls it a "Server Rack". They are probably overstating it.

It should be titled "Using Symantec products is the same as pushing your server rack off a building" :p

Definitely low budget and poor taste.

If they wanted to make something to brag about perhaps they should have made a real cluster content delivery system with failover. While people are watching movies from both sites have one site struck by lightning.

Yes, lightning!

It can be triggered, all that's needed is an active cumulonimbus cloud or two. Talk about taking things to the cloud!

Triggered lightning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN4QRwHCOXQ

A direct hit will shut down the target DC!
That would be amazing to see with a very high FPS camera.

i wonder did they have to repave the sidewalk afterwards?

In the behind the scenes vid you can see they put out some pad of sorts to protect the sidewalk. Also the rack looked like it had 2 empty server cases in the lower section so it wasn't completely empty.

Back