Server OS help for buying the right one

C_N1

n00b
Hi, I want to buy a server from ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant...906005?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item4179b6ee95
and it has no operating system, BUT it says that it is compatible with Supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 Standard Edition (x86_64), Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 Standard edition (x86_32), SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64), VMware ESX Server 4 Update 1, Citrix XenServer Enterprise edition 5.x
so I wanted to know if I could get windows home server on it or if I would have to get one of those OS???!!!???:confused:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What are you wanting/needing to do with a server?

Also, ESXi has a free edition. You can then run a virtualized OS off of it, such as Windows, OSx, Linux, etc.

Oh yeah, be sure to put on some hearing protection around that, esp. if the top is off. 1U's are notoriously loud, those little fans will be screaming bloody murder. :D

Oh yeah, be sure to put on some hearing protection around that, esp. if the top is off. 1U's are notoriously loud, those little fans will be screaming bloody murder. :D

It really depends on the 1U unit itself.

A Dell R300 is not that loud at all, and it is 1U.

Start-up is usually the loudest part as pretty much all servers run the fans at full tilt until they get past POST.

If you have decent cooling, 72F or below, they are actually pretty quiet compared to what they sound like if the temps are higher.

And WHY would you run with the lid off? They cooling is designed to have the lid on when running.

It really depends on the 1U unit itself.

A Dell R300 is not that loud at all, and it is 1U.

Start-up is usually the loudest part as pretty much all servers run the fans at full tilt until they get past POST.

If you have decent cooling, 72F or below, they are actually pretty quiet compared to what they sound like if the temps are higher.

And WHY would you run with the lid off? They cooling is designed to have the lid on when running.

According to their spec sheet, 48dBA. Not quiet.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getDocument.aspx?docname=c04286583

Did not say running it 24/7 with top off. I often have the top off if I am working on one, configuring it or putting stuff in/out of it. Point is most of them are crazy loud, esp. if the top is off. ;)

I have a couple of these at work and they run server 2008 or 2012 fine, I cant remember but 2012 took some driver downloading but no real troubles to think of. What are you wanting to do with one of these? I think home server is based off win 7, so basically the same drivers and the likes as 2008r2. Personally I would setup ESXi (free) and run some vms for other stuff I needed.

Back